Detailing World Forum banner

Detailing on a budget !

1M views 2K replies 639 participants last post by  shine247 
#1 ·
Ok chaps - what with the current economic position etc

I was thinking of trying to put together a "detailing on a budget"

Perhaps good value buys ? alternative uses for products / products that can be used for more than one job / hand polishing etc etc

Any ideas post away in here - then we can try and put together a guide which might help people

For instance the old fashion way of cleaning glass - a drop of fairy /vinegar and newspaper

#5 ·
Wilko's Paint restorer (which is t-cut metallic) doubles up as glass polish.
Car pride wicked wax (hard wax ) 99p, Wizz leather conditioner or astonish leather cleaner 99p, asda tesco car shampoo 69p, in fact car pride do a host of products 99p, remember the punto which was turned around with just 99p products ?
Also there are stores like home bargains and poundstretcher, you can pick up branded names for a well discounted price. :thumb:

#8 ·
Surfex HD surely?
Highly dilutible so will go a long way with wheels, bugs, pre-wash, engine bay.
303 Aerospace Protectant - tyres, wiper blades, exterior rubber and trim, interior plastic, and leather (not tried that one myself though, but their suggestion).
Glass - any decent off the shelf glass cleaner, or one the commercial cleaners use, as it has more IPA in it.
That said, 20% IPA solution should suffice in itself, if you have some already.

How budget is budget?
Any ceiling on what's classed as budget products?

#10 ·
^ Pjs I guess im looking at getting the best avaliable products hopefully still recognised brands but for those that dont have a endless budget or are ona tighter budget

Any help really ?

I was thinking or perhaps having several budgets - perhaps below £5 - £10 - £20 ?

Chaps at the moment im really looking at products and uses and applications rather than shops and stores

Im looking for information to try and put together a guide ...

#234 ·
That is a good one. It is true. If you want detail on your car the products must be good quality to prolong and protect the paint of your car. I cannot say I can afford expensive things but I am not drinker or smoker so I spend my money for something more useful and for a long term. I love my car and I like to invest decent money to keep it nice and maintained well.

#21 ·
Colly or 1000p can be used to remove tar deposits while maintain protection. Providing they are gentle applied and work slowly.
Doing away with the tar remover and reapplying a LSP.
Don't tell me you don't own some of these. :lol:
Gordon

#22 ·
This is from my own experience.

Wash
- Any car shampoo works here
- A B&Q grout sponge or cheap MF mitt from poundstrecher
- A couple of £1 B&Q buckets or similiar ones from any store
- Spending £10 on a drying towel isn't budget is it, but i can't think of a cheaper alternative that won't inflict marring

Clay
- Megs kit for semi-cheap
- Clean Your Car have a good double clay pack for around £10, make your own lube
- Make your own lube from the shampoo and use blu-tak for clay

Protect
- Any carnuba paste wax from a supermarket would do wouldn't it so long as you apply regularly
- Best bang for buck is Colly 476s applied with the misted red side of a german app pad, a little goes a long way.
- AG EGP, put it in a spray bottle which makes using the right amount much easier so it's easy to remove as well, apply with the red side of the german app pad
- groundnut oil or ag bumper care for black plastics applied with any old sponge or rag
- AG bumper care works pretty well on tires as well i've found, still got plenty in my 325ml bottle after 20+ applications, buffs to nice factory finish or shiny if you leave on.

Polish
- By hand it's got to be 325/500ml of AG SRP using the white side of that german app pad, done this myself with excellent results, albeit sore arms
- By machine, £25 silverline r/o with a menz polish/finishing pad using the SRP again, or megs #80/83 if you want to spend more, tested this recently with excellent results as well.

Interior
- Not exactly budget but Poorboy's Natural Look Dressing, smells nice, easy to apply for factory finish or shiny, a little goes a long way if you use it with a spray head.
- Any other good non-silicone stuff?

Other
- Spray bottles, MF work cloths, and APC all cheap and easy to find in pound shops and supermarkets
- Wheel brushes are pretty cheap, wilko do one for £2
- If you don't want to spend for a megs slide lock brush pick up a pack of paint brushes for a £1 in poundstrecher and wrap in the metal bit with duct tape to prevent scratching.

Don't know if this was any help, just thought i'd try and pitch in.

#34 ·
If you want to do stuff on a budget, you've just got to be prepared to wait for deals to come up on stuff.

I for one don't spend that much on cleaning my car, and after reading this, I'm glad to see others also feel the same.

I suppose it helps that I've had new cars for the last few years, so it doesn't take much to make them look good :)