Detailing World Forum banner

Durability test with coatings

71K views 109 replies 45 participants last post by  Speedy83 
#1 ·
Without any backgrounds, i just want to share my real life durability test (in Finland) with couple different coatings.

So, test object is my Volvo S40 1.6D.
Before it was possible to apply any LSP`s, the car needed prep to get beneficial base for coatings.

Car:

Pre-wash with VPNSF. Didn`t release dirt very well? Road salt is real problem here in Finland, because it sticks paint and might be hard to remove with wax safe products.

So, next step was degreaser, shampoo wash, tar remover, fallout remover and Sonax clay disc:

Car was really bad condition, so i needed to try bring some gloss back.

Before Bigfoot session, i ripped emblems off. After that i started to polish car with Bigfoot LHR 15ES, LHR 75E mini. I used Buff&Shine MF cutting pads and Rupes own pads with Scholl S3G. Here is some pics after cutting session:

Same place after 2-3 cutting passes. Still deep scratches:

After polishing, there still was deep scratches so i had to wetsand a bit for get those nasty marks less noticeable and polish again.

Scratches:

I finished car with Bigfoot, yellow rupes pads and Scholl S30 (sorry, no pics).
After that i washed car with degreaser and dried with MF towel and compressed air. Then i taped test panels and let the car dry one our.
Finally before coatings, i wiped car with Bilt-Hamber Cleanser-Fluid.

I didn`t get prime quality because time was running out, but i got some gloss back to car and what`s more important, there was better base for coatings.

Start date 21.2.2016.

Products:

Horizontal panels (hood, roof and tailgate):

1. Gyeon Mohs (3 layers) + Booster + Cure
2. Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light + EXOv2
3. Wolf`s Chemicals Nano Polish + Nano Glaze + Mystery Juice
4. Sonax Nano Guard + Polymer Net Shield
5. CarPro Essence + CQuartz UK + Reload
6. Bilt-Hamber Finis-Wax
7. Gyeon Prime (2 layers) + Cure
8. Gyeon Mohs (3 layers) +Cure
9. CarPro CQuartz + Reload
10. Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light
11. Gtechniq EXOv2
12. Wolf`s Chemicals Mystery Juice
13. Nanolex Si3D (2 layers)
14. Sonax Nano Guard
15. Optimum Gloss-Coat
16. IgreenLover Quartz (2 layers)

Vertical panels (Wings and doors):

Left side:

1. Gyeon Prime + Booster + Cure
2. Gyeon Prime + Cure
3. CarPro CQuartz + Reload
4. Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light
5. Gtechniq EXOv2
6. Wolf`s Chemicals Mystery Juice

Right side:

7. Nanolex Si3D (2 layers)
8. Sonax Nano Guard
9. Optimum Gloss-Coat
10. IgreenLover (2 layers)
11. Gyeon Mohs (3 layers) + Cure
12. Bilt-Hamber Finis-Wax

Start date: 21.02.2016 0 km (0 miles)

Wash 1. 02.03.2016 431 km (268 miles) Degreaser + Wolf`s WS

Wash 2. 04.03.2016 800 km (497 miles) VPNSF + Wolf`s WS

Wash 3. 10.03.2016 1022 km (635 miles) B-H Auto-Foam + Wolfs WS

Wash 4. 18.03.2016 1870 km (1162 miles) B-H Auto-Foam + Wolfs WS

Wash 5. 24.03.2016 2486 km (1545 miles) B-H Auto-Foam + Wolfs WS

Wash 6. 01.04.2016 3032 km (1884 miles) B-H Auto-Foam + Wolfs WS

Wash 7. 08.04.2016 3389 km (2106 miles) B-H Auto-Foam + Wolfs WS

Wash 8. 15.04.2016 4256 km (2644 miles) Degreaser + Britemax Clean Max

Wash 9. 29.04.2016 5431 km (3374 miles) B-H Auto-Foam + Wolfs WS

Wash 10. 12.05.2016 6434 km (3998 miles) B-H Auto-Foam + Wolfs WS

Wash 11. 23.05.2016 7253 km (4507 miles) B-H Auto-Foam + Wolfs WS

Wash 12. 27.05.2016 7758 km (4820 miles) B-H Auto-Foam + Wolfs WS

Wash 13. 03.06.2016 8194 km (5091 miles) B-H Auto-Foam + Wolfs WS

(B-H Auto-Foam= Bilt-Hamber Auto-Foam, Wolfs WS=Wolf`s Chemicals White Satin shampoo)

Note:

I noticed after couple washes that Wolfs Mystery Juice had pretty poor hydrofobic and dirt repelling properties. So, i desided to re-apply it after wash number 7. Before re-applying, i washed car, polished panels 6 (left rear wing) and 12 (roof) with bigfoot mini/rupes yellow pad/Scholl S30. After polishing wiped with B-H Cleanser-Fluid.

Now after 13 washes, Wolfs Mystery Juice is again failing. Maybe it`s degreaser i`ve used (PH12, but i have used it only at 4% dilution ratio) or maybe it`s failing because it didn`t get time to bond 48 hours? Who knows..?

Wolfs nano polish/nano glaze/Mystery Juice has worked better, but now it`s also at poor condition as is Finis-Wax too.

Well, i will update this topic (i`m bit busy atm, but when i have some time) with pics (dirt repellency=big differences) and maybe some video clips.

Sorry my bad english..

See less See more
#82 · (Edited)
Time for little update.

This is after 40 weeks, 28 washes and 23 006 km (14 295 miles).

At this last wash, i used Auto-Foam and White Satin along with some Tar Remover, Fallout Remover and degreaser, because normal foam and shampoo wasn`t enough. It´s that salt which sticks on the paint... :censored:

Here is link to youtube.

Let´s see again somewhere after new year.. :)

P.s. Remember to turn subtitles on..

#88 ·
Well, there`s differences with "scratch resistance", but i can`t say anything spesific, yet.. I will inspect this aspect later.

why CSL+EXOv2 working good on bonnet:
Gtechniq CSL - EXOv2 (weeks 40) - YouTube

but not working here: Gtechniq CSL - EXOv2 (weeks 40) - YouTube
?
could you explain this pls.
There`s CSL topped with EXOv2 at bonnet, but at the door CSL and Exo are side by side, both applied straight to bare paint.

Seems like there´s HUGE benefits to use CSL as a base for EXOv2.

It looks like that EXOv2, as a standalone product, doesn`t get even near to manufacturer claims which are 18 months durability . Maybe that`s possible at different climate, but not here in Finland. There`s same experiences with Gtechniq C2V3 (claims 8 months - In real life max 2-3 months).

So far, CSL topped with EXOv2 are best performing products in hydrophobic aspect and one of the best (if not best) at dirt repellency.

#94 · (Edited)
Had the v1 of Opti Coat on my car for 18 months when I sold it and it was as good as day 1. I then used a 3 year old bottle of it to coat the wheels on my current car, and 2.5 years and 34,000 miles later its still rinsing clean and beading as good as new! That was the original v1 formula that has been improved several releases since.

Not used any of the others on the test here but get a quality product, apply it properly with exactly the right prep & conditions etc and you can expect great performance from these products.

#98 ·
Update after 11 months, 48 weeks, 333 days, 16 390 miles and 32 washes.

Well, nothing huge after last update, but here`s couple notices.

- It looks like EXOv2, as a stand alone product, has past it`s best days at this test:

- I would say Gloss-Coat isn`t any better:

I have used former version of Gloss-Coat (Opti-Coat 2.0) and because of that, i had high expectations about Gloss-Coat.

(I have read rumours that Optimum has changed formula of Gloss-Coat version 1. Has anyone else read or heard about this or is this just BS?).

- IgreenLover Quartz is still working, but best hydrophobic property is gone:

After last wash, i wiped surfaces with mf-cloth and Cleanser-Fluid, because there still was some evidence of sticked road salt. After that, i used Led Lenser P7 to inspect is there differences between panels scratch/wash marring resistance. I´ll tell you more later, but i can say there really is differences..

Rest of the videos: LINK TO YOUTUBE

#100 ·
Was hoping that this test is still on going? Im on the line about getting CSL+ExoV3, but I was wondering how the coating stands up to micro marring on a daily driver? I currently have 22ple HPC but the hydrophobic abilities have really seen better days (Midwest states so the salt).

#103 · (Edited)
Hi,

First of all, sorry for the delay but "little" technical problems with Volvo gave some challenges
and also caused a slight motivation drop..

Anyway, here is the final update for the test.

The test car rolled 493 days, 71 weeks, 39 washes and 20 017 miles (32 215km).

Usually, washing methods looked like this:

Pre-Wash: Bilt-Hamber Auto-Foam or Valet Pro Neutral Snow Foam

Shampoo: Wolf`s Chemicals White Satin or Britemax Clean Max

However, 5 times I had to go bit harder methods
with solvents, tar remover, iron remover, as well as
once Bilt-Hamber Cleanser Fluid (wiped with MF cloth).

The accumulated mileage of the test was approximately 80% of the motorway / road driving
and the rest of the urban area and sand roads.

The car has been parked outside, except during the working days.
So, the surfaces have seen snowbrush, blazing sun, hard frosts,
children's wash moment (couple paintbrushes, mud bucket and two 4 year old girls),
thousands of insects, half a meter of snow layers and haulers of workshop workers, etc.

One important thing to note is that the car was at its best almost 4 months without washing (earlier mentioned "little" technical problems..). During that time, it was driven only a few thousand miles, otherwise it was parked outside.
Then, when the car was taken back to normal use, the first wash were made with a rough methods (eg tar remover, solvents, iron remover, cleanser fluids via mf-cloth).
This 4 months period seemed to effect negatively with the properties of the coatings.
During that time, the properties of the coatings deteriorated a lot.

I noticed some differences between products like darkening effect, dirt repellency, water behavior, mitt slickness and scratch resistancy.

Earlier I did put some pics about differences between dirt repellency and darkening effect. I think where was best dirt/water repellency, was also most slickest surface for wash mitt.

The differences between the scratch resistance are, in my opinion, somewhat difficult to compare with each other, but I tried to do my best with Led Lenser P7 in dark washing place.
I think that the sun didn`t show differences as well as the method I used.
Below a few videos about the differences of scratch resist by Led Lenser: (Remember subtitles!)

Link

I think the best results against marring offered by:

- Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light (without EXOv2 and also with it)
- Gyeon Prime
- Gyeon MOHS
- Nanolex Si3D

Of these, I think best protection was offered by Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light.
At least the above video shows how it beats up EXOv2.

To the next category I would like put:

- EXOv2
- Sonax Nano Guard
- CQuartz UK
- Optimum Gloss-Coat

Gloss-Coat`s performance was surprise for me, because I didn`t even included it in the test because its water repellency was really poor and I thought there was some mistake when applied.
You probably notice huge difference in scratch resist between Igreenlover and Gloss-Coat at the above video, where those 2 products are side by side in the trunk.

Last Category:

- Igreenlover Quartz
- Bilt-Hamber Finis-Wax
- Wolf`s Chemicals

Igreenlover Quartz is a real disappointment in this area ..
Based on my own findings, the coatings really provide protection against marring and there really are differences between products.

Next, the differences about sheeting and video below: (Remember subtitles!)

Link

Best category:

- Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light, topped with EXOv2
- Nanolex Si3D
- Gyeon Prime
- Gyeon MOHS
- Gyeon Booster

I think these are also difficult to compare with each other, because all of products wasn`t side by side.
The CSL coated with EXO was really amazing at first, but the situation leveled off a little while. Of course Gyeon Booster was great with it`s water sheeting and beading,
But the best performane fell off faster than Gtechniq.
The Si3D performed stable from start to finish, as did Prime and MOHS.

Next Category:

- CQuartz UK
- Sonax Nano Guard

There is nothing to complain about CQUK, but it`s just not at same level as those earlier mentioned products. But very close!
CQUK left Sonax behind, not much but a bit.

Last category:

- Igreenlover Quartz
- Optimum Gloss Coat
- Gtechniq EXOv2

As for Gloss-Coat, I think something went a bit wrong when applying. Would it be that I used mf-cloth too early after application? I do not know, but however scratch resistance worked surprisingly well.
Igreenlover Quartz worked well, but when its water repellency began to fade, it faded fast. That's why this category.
Gtechniq EXOv2 is great sheeter and beader, but only as long as it lasts. And I expect coating to last longer than it did . So, here in this category.

Well, here`s some last notes from my experiences.

- Nanolex Si3D for the Bang for Bucks. Works at a delightful level in every area.

- Gtechniq's Crystal Serum Light topped with EXOv2, might be the best overall performer, if not looking price tag.

- I think Gyeon products are somewhere between Gtechniq duo and Nanolex Si3D, if you use Booster on top.

- Sonax is cheap as a soap and ok, but in my own car I would prefer Si3D.

- Igreenlover Quartz. I don`t rate this at all..

- CQuartz UK is the kind of safely and familiar choice for most people at here (as Toyota is for common man here in Finland) and there`s nothing wrong with it, but considering the price tag and the features it gives, I would rather choose Si3D for myself.

Remember, this wasn`t anywhere near a scientific experiment. Just a journey of one amateur detailer.

Thank you, LuckyStrike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.