Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #1
chris0147
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 70
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
welding on the battery tray

Hi all,

I need some help with welding the grub screws on my car. I want to welding the grub screws on the battery tray to hold the battery to stop the battery tray to being move about on the road surface. There are two grub screws that are missing due to bad rusty on the chassis so I had the work done by a garage to repaired the damaged.

Here is the pictures of the battery tray:








Here is the grub screw that I have got which it is the same type as the other grub screws that I want to weld it:




I have asked the garage if they could be able to weld it, but they didn't want to do it as they don't understand why I wanted them to do it and they was laughed when I asked them to do so they are stupid. I want to do it myself to get the work done to avoid the two other grub screws that I have already got on my car as I don't want them to get snap by the road surface, but there are few problems that I have got.

If I do it, it will get too hot and the metal parts would melt which I don't want that. And I dont know where to put the earth on my car to get it to welding.

Do you know how I could weld it to do it in a proper way to be safe without melt the metal that I had the work done already by someone else?

What is lower volts I should use to avoid the metal to be melt while I weld it?

If that is not possible, do I have to do it slowly to do it once at a time while seals on the metal to hold it in place?

And do you know where do I need to put the earth for the welding plug on my car when I remove the battery so I could be able to weld it?

Any advice would be much appreciate.

Thanks in advance!
chris0147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #2
Deathstar
Washmitt Meister
 
Deathstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lancs
Posts: 240
Thanks: 134
Thanked 90 Times in 77 Posts
Garage
To be honest, if you are asking basic questions on where to earth a welder. You should not be welding!
And if you are thinking others are stupid for questioning you...well...

Sorry but just my opinion.
Deathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 03:51 PM   #3
macca666
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
macca666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ayrshire
Posts: 2,492
Thanks: 1,909
Thanked 1,836 Times in 1,119 Posts
Garage
Have to agree wtih Deathstar and not to be negative but you sound as if you've never welded before and it looks quite a fiddly bit to weld. I have done some welding having taught myself but it took me months and months or practising on old panels, sheet metal etc. before I even contemplated moving on to the actual car.

If experts have questioned you it may be because it's not an easy job to do (certainly doesn't look it in my opinion)
macca666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 03:58 PM   #4
wayne451
PC Perfectionist
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Stockport
Posts: 433
Thanks: 90
Thanked 296 Times in 189 Posts
That third picture you can clearly see should have a nut on it.
wayne451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #5
chris0147
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 70
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macca666 View Post
Have to agree wtih Deathstar and not to be negative but you sound as if you've never welded before and it looks quite a fiddly bit to weld. I have done some welding having taught myself but it took me months and months or practising on old panels, sheet metal etc. before I even contemplated moving on to the actual car.

If experts have questioned you it may be because it's not an easy job to do (certainly doesn't look it in my opinion)

Yeah I have never welded before, so I would like to try it out. The only thing I can think of where to put the earth for the welder would be on the side of where the battery goes just like this?




I could put that on but I am not too sure if it is the right place to put the earth for the welder. Do you know?

Do you know how I can avoid the metal to get melt when I weld on between the grub screw and the metal?

Do I have to do it slowly to weld it to seal it to make the grub screws to hold it in place if it would help to stop the metal to get melt?
chris0147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 04:31 PM   #6
chris0147
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 70
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne451 View Post
That third picture you can clearly see should have a nut on it.
It already have, but I took the nut off to take a pics of the grub screw like what I have got as you can see it in the fourth picture.
chris0147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #7
macca666
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
macca666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ayrshire
Posts: 2,492
Thanks: 1,909
Thanked 1,836 Times in 1,119 Posts
Garage
Firstly if you've not welded before my advice would be not to do it.

To try and answer your questions though the earth is better as close to the welding as you safely can and needs to be clamped onto the metal that you're welding on to. Can't really see from the pics where the best place would be.

I've welded a bolt on before and used a hand held clamp holding it in place whilst welding it at the bottom. Youll need to be careful you dont blow through the metal and would be better tack welding it, letting it cool then doing it slowly giving it time to cool in between welds ending up with a continuous weld all round the base.

Hopefully this makes sense but it might not given you've not welded before.
macca666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 04:41 PM   #8
Deathstar
Washmitt Meister
 
Deathstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lancs
Posts: 240
Thanks: 134
Thanked 90 Times in 77 Posts
Garage
Simply put, welding it's the melting of metals to create a permanent join. Even localised welding will create a massive amount of heat in the local and surrounding area

As above not understanding the basics of earth and electrode is a concern.

I am not going to spell it out as other serious damage can occur if you don't understand what you are doing. You are going to be applying high voltage and current to the vehicle.

There are differences between what method of weld you are planning to use, and different consequences associated with them.
Deathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #9
chris0147
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 70
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macca666 View Post
Firstly if you've not welded before my advice would be not to do it.

To try and answer your questions though the earth is better as close to the welding as you safely can and needs to be clamped onto the metal that you're welding on to. Can't really see from the pics where the best place would be.

I've welded a bolt on before and used a hand held clamp holding it in place whilst welding it at the bottom. Youll need to be careful you dont blow through the metal and would be better tack welding it, letting it cool then doing it slowly giving it time to cool in between welds ending up with a continuous weld all round the base.

Hopefully this makes sense but it might not given you've not welded before.

Yeah I know. I wouldn't do it but sometimes I will have to do it when the garage don't want to do it. I know I will have to be careful so what happens if I don't be careful? would it burn the metal that get melt?

Yeah I agree with you I would be better to tack welding it so that is why I have already said to do it slowly once at a time as long it get cool down without ruined it.
chris0147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 04:53 PM   #10
chris0147
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 70
Thanks: 5
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstar View Post
Simply put, welding it's the melting of metals to create a permanent join. Even localised welding will create a massive amount of heat in the local and surrounding area

As above not understanding the basics of earth and electrode is a concern.

I am not going to spell it out as other serious damage can occur if you don't understand what you are doing. You are going to be applying high voltage and current to the vehicle.

There are differences between what method of weld you are planning to use, and different consequences associated with them.
Oh right. If I don't do it carefully, would it melting of metals that it have already put in place?

If so I don't think it would be a good idea for me to do it as I don't want to take the risk to do it. I could ask my friend if he may know how to do it.

I think I should ask a bodyshop garage to weld it for me if that would be a good idea as they know what to do?
chris0147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors