Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 23-10-2017, 02:18 PM   #271
JayMac
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Another brilliant update, love reading this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JayMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #272
TomiboyC
Sponge Jockey

Fantastic effort, just read through start to finish, top marks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TomiboyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #273
percymon

Garage
Great to see the tailgate issue(s) resolved - almost there now
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 10:24 PM   #274
ghost_walker
PC Perfectionist

for the windscreen wire next time to save your fingers just wind the ends round a couple of screwdriver handles or even a couple of offcuts of thick dowel, or even pinch a couple of your mums wooden spoons
ghost_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 05:26 PM   #275
MadOnVaux!

Thanked 1,096 Times in 1,026 Posts
That was a failure of the company not to wrap your tailgate in some sort of plastic to protect it, all parts places I've dealt with have had shrink wrap or even bubble wrap.

Excellent work on the car, it looks great
MadOnVaux! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2017, 08:29 PM   #276
ibiza55

Thanked 1,399 Times in 1,357 Posts
Garage
Lovely jubbly, more nice work on your mini, shame about the rust, reminds me of my 1974 mini I had than a BMW one.
ibiza55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #277
jpmcc
Washmitt Meister

Fantastic work. Really look forward to your posts on this thread.

Maybe I'm being picky but I would source some original JCW badges, keep it authentic as those metal badges will corrode and rust in no time!
jpmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpmcc For This Useful Post:
Sportspack Mark (30-10-2017)
Old 26-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #278
percymon

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenekeorr View Post
Hi all,

I noticed was a small black box with several wires going to it, I believe two of them are Fakra connectors (could be wrong) which I associate with car aerials. It then went to the rear windscreen and connected to the heated elements - I assumed (as the new one wasn't fitted with one at all) that it must be linked to the SmartNav and act as an aerial for the GPS. Anyhow, I stripped it from the old tailgate and set it aside.

One observation I have made is that the radio reception is now rubbish. Presumably that box which I didn't fit to the new tailgate was used for boosting the reception by using the heated rear window element as an antenna. I should just be able to plug it all in, as I have saved all the bits. It did have 3 wires which were either stuck or soldered to the heated element, so I need to work out how to reattach them.
Yes that black box is the radio aerial amplifier - on your car its probably part number 65206935926, which is superceded by 65206955475.
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #279
jbenekeorr
PC Perfectionist

Thanks for the comments as always guys. Spurs me on to continue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilb62 View Post
Thread-of-the-year....... Brilliant, please tell us you're going to keep it?
Oh yes - I think as soon as it first arrived home, I was too attached to sell it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_walker View Post
for the windscreen wire next time to save your fingers just wind the ends round a couple of screwdriver handles or even a couple of offcuts of thick dowel, or even pinch a couple of your mums wooden spoons
Thanks. I'll try that - my hands are still recovering from it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcc View Post
Fantastic work. Really look forward to your posts on this thread.

Maybe I'm being picky but I would source some original JCW badges, keep it authentic as those metal badges will corrode and rust in no time!
I'd like the original style badges, but not at the price they cost! Last check, the only original style front badge was £120! I've not thrown the original badges away. But they're badly rusted and pitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by percymon View Post
Yes that black box is the radio aerial amplifier - on your car its probably part number 65206935926, which is superceded by 65206955475.
I have since realised this! I think mine is the second part number as it happens. More on that below.

Small update

The lack of radio reception was something I needed to sort out, I had stripped the 'funny little black box' and its wiring from the old tailgate, so I removed the boot trim from the new tailgate on the car, and screwed the black box into place.

The two 'fakra' type connectors were part of the loom which I had already fed into the tailgate, so luckily I just needed to plug them in. The signal was immediately improved from muffled crackly noise, to a clear 'stereo' sound. Being that I had the additional connectors for the rear window based part of it, I wanted to put them into use.

The main problem was that I had removed the 3 wires from the old tailgate glass without making note of which went where. In a moment of inspiration, I took the boot trim off my Mum's car to see how hers was wired up - and to my surprise, it didn't have one - not even the bracket in the tailgate that the black box fixes to! So her car must have a different system?!

I hadn't taken the old tailgate to the tip at this point, so I was able to look at where I removed the wires from the old tailgate and match up the marks in the solder!! With that, I soldered the connectors to my new tailgate in the correct places. There are also two earth connectors which the system uses - they bolt into the frame of the tailgate and piggyback the connectors for the heated rear window. It all seems to work fine now.

As the car came with none of its original tools, I decided to order the correct tool pouch for the car. It stores the locking wheel nut and the towing eye.

I do need to buy a jack (with bag) for it at some point, however I'm not in any rush - as it is the usual OEM type jack, which I'm not a fan of at all. I once had one fail on my MK5 Golf when changing a flat, I ended up getting the AA out! And besides, the MINI has no spare wheel, so I'm not going to be changing any wheels at the side of the road anyway!

The wiper arm arrived earlier this week, meaning that I could get on with installing the wiper motor. I immediately found that the hole in the wiper arm was far too small to fit the spindle on the wiper motor, and decided to order one directly from the BMW/MINI dealer. I took the wiper motor with me, so that I could check their part was the right one. As it turned out - theirs was far too small also.
Both my wiper motors (the one from my car and the spare I bought from the breakers) had a metal cylinder on the spindle which I assumed the wiper arm would fit over.

The man on the parts desk couldn't work it out either - he then kindly took it to the technicians to see what they made of it. Apparently they knew the problem straight away - that metal cylinder shouldn't be there at all! It's part of the old wiper arm which they said would break off almost all the time, and not to even bother trying to undo it - just cut it off. As I actually had the correct part at home after all, they allowed me not to buy the wiper arm they had ordered in for me.

The reason my wiper arm had been dropping down over time - was because it had separated from this metal cylinder and was loose.

When I got home, I put my wiper motor in the vice and carefully cut the cylinder off, cleaned up the threads and fitted the motor to the car, put the wiper arm on and bolted it down. The de-wiper 'bung' came out quite easily - I just pushed firmly from outside and it came away.

jbenekeorr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to jbenekeorr For This Useful Post:
acprc (27-10-2017), Alfa male (26-10-2017), Bustanut (17-03-2018), GlynRS2 (26-10-2017), ibiza55 (27-10-2017), leon20v (29-10-2017), monkfishh (26-10-2017), neilb62 (26-10-2017), NornIron (26-10-2017), Nozza (26-10-2017), Rodriguez (13-02-2018), sbrocks (28-10-2017), Sicskate (29-10-2017), Starbuck88 (26-01-2018), steelghost (26-10-2017), streaky (24-01-2018)
Old 28-10-2017, 02:49 PM   #280
sbrocks
PC Perfectionist

Fantastic thread, well written and photographed at every stage! A real credit to you and an inspiration as to what can be achieved with some know how and attention to detail
sbrocks is offline   Reply With Quote