Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:58 PM   #381
James_R
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Great update dude.

Some brilliant work in this thread, nice to catch up with it and see how it is now.

Looking good
James_R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to James_R For This Useful Post:
jbenekeorr (06-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 08:01 PM   #382
ghost_walker
PC Perfectionist

for the mats, try some evo stick contact adhesive. should bond that no bother
ghost_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ghost_walker For This Useful Post:
jbenekeorr (06-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 11:17 PM   #383
James_G
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Great update and indeed progress. Very interesting for me of course and funnily enough I did an oil, oil filter and pollen filter change last night, although my car put up a fight at every turn, so it wasn't the easiest.

Regarding the camchain tensioner, did you come at it from the top or from the side? Still haven't done this on mine yet, but do now own some wobble bars in anticipation.
James_G is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to James_G For This Useful Post:
jbenekeorr (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 05:00 AM   #384
SubtleAggressiv
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Youíre an inspiration mate. Iíve started looking at my car and trying to fix things that need doing
The AC wasnít working so I managed to change the relay in the fuse box , it still wasnít working so I took it to the garage and the found the issue at least I tried right?

Keep up the great work
SubtleAggressiv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SubtleAggressiv For This Useful Post:
jbenekeorr (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #385
percymon

Garage
Great to see you further improving the car - its been a worthwhile journey !

If you want to improve the seat bolsters then i can highly recommend ColourLock Leather Fresh - just apply a few coats to the whole area and it'll hide those wear marks in the colour coat - a 30ml bottle is under £7, although you may need a bespoke colour for the grey MINI leather..

https://www.colourlock.com/leather-d...resh-30ml.html
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to percymon For This Useful Post:
jbenekeorr (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #386
MadOnVaux!

Thanked 1,096 Times in 1,026 Posts
another vote for Evo Stick....I used it on a parcel shelf support that had come loose on one of my previous cars, and it set like a rock, nowt was moving it.....just don't use too much otherwise it oozes out of the sides and looks a right mess..
MadOnVaux! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MadOnVaux! For This Useful Post:
jbenekeorr (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 07:35 PM   #387
jbenekeorr
Washmitt Meister

Thank you all for the kind words and suggestions

I'll get some Evo-Stik sorted as the floor mat is driving me nuts! I keep meaning to check with MINI to see if they sell replacement mats individually, as the driver's mat is very worn but the rest are still fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G View Post
Great update and indeed progress. Very interesting for me of course and funnily enough I did an oil, oil filter and pollen filter change last night, although my car put up a fight at every turn, so it wasn't the easiest.

Regarding the camchain tensioner, did you come at it from the top or from the side? Still haven't done this on mine yet, but do now own some wobble bars in anticipation.

I do think sometimes every job just refuses to go to plan - often worth throwing a few tools around, leaving it and coming back with a fresh set of eyes

I removed the tensioner from the top. Once you work out where it is (amongst a minefield of burning hot metal if you've not long run the engine ) then you can get the socket and wobble extension on it. I found it easier to attach the socket wrench AFTER getting the socket located properly. You'll need a fair bit of leverage - I used a re purposed piece of a garden solar light as an extension for extra power it tends to go with a bang when you do crack it free - which is when you can smack your hand on something. After that it comes out easily.

You've probably already watched this - but this video gives you a better idea of what you're looking for, rather than rooting around in the darkness behind the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtleAggressiv View Post
Youíre an inspiration mate. Iíve started looking at my car and trying to fix things that need doing
The AC wasnít working so I managed to change the relay in the fuse box , it still wasnít working so I took it to the garage and the found the issue at least I tried right?

Keep up the great work

Thank you. Sounds like you made the first step it's a shame the relay didn't sort it for you. It's very empowering when you can sort it yourself.

A/C is a bit of an unknown to most home mechanics like us - i'll gladly let a garage handle it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by percymon View Post
Great to see you further improving the car - its been a worthwhile journey !

If you want to improve the seat bolsters then i can highly recommend ColourLock Leather Fresh - just apply a few coats to the whole area and it'll hide those wear marks in the colour coat - a 30ml bottle is under £7, although you may need a bespoke colour for the grey MINI leather..

https://www.colourlock.com/leather-d...resh-30ml.html
Thanks for this Percymon. I will definitely have a look at this and try to get the correct colour, as the seats would look way better without the marks. Seems dead cheap too. Hopefully see it in an update soon
jbenekeorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:41 PM   #388
Andyblue

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,373 Posts
Some more cracking updates

Can recommend as above, Evostick (not the aerosol though) Impact adhesive - as has been said, don't use too much and if you've some sprung clamps, these will help adhere the 2 bits together...
Andyblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:14 PM   #389
ghost_walker
PC Perfectionist

sorry i meant the proper stuff you spread with a stick. just mind do it outside or you'll go a bit squiffy.

mind you i did a job outside, middle of the garden and i still went squiffy on the fumes
ghost_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 05:28 PM   #390
jbenekeorr
Washmitt Meister

Part 25 - Exhaust woes, reception and floor mats

Hi all,

Time for an update.

______

In mid June I met up with a primary school friend who owns a grey R53 - I noticed we were both in the same Facebook group so we arranged a meet up in Bourton On The Water which is about half way between where we both live.

I had a great drive down there. His car has nearly as many miles on as mine (136,000). It's a regular Cooper S but has a reduced pulley (15%) and had just had a new catback exhaust which was incredibly loud - it sounded good but I would imagine it's a right pain day to day. When we last spoke he was looking at having additional silencers fitted!

We went to a motor museum there and I saw Brum!!!

On my way home that evening, I had given the MINI a boot-full past an R56 in a layby to remind them what they were missing when I felt that my exhaust had become a bit louder - and more 'breathy'. I carried on, assuming it was just my imagination. Around 5 miles later and without warning - the car became incredibly loud! I pulled over immediately, assuming to find the exhaust had come off. After a little inspection, I deduced that there must be a huge hole either in the manifold or on the way down to the cat somewhere behind the engine.

A demonstration of the noise - I can't explain how loud it was in person! Like a propellor plane

https://youtu.be/bkKJp-4wAd8

With little choice, I limped it home. I was worried that the heat from the escaping exhaust would melt something down the back of the engine - so I kept the revs low.

The next morning, with my usual mechanic on holiday - I called the nearest garage who were able to see me immediately. After getting the car on the lift, they showed me that the exhaust had come off where it goes into the pre-cat. It had sheared right across. The manifold, pre-cat and cat are one single, very expensive piece - so replacement would have been a very expensive option. Luckily, they were able to weld it back up for £40 and I was on my way - I don't know how long the weld will hold, but I could swear the car was quieter than it has ever been in my ownership.

I wondered if the engine mounts were shot - however the garage, nor my own limited testing showed there to be any significant play. Although i'm planning to re-look at this, as I have noticed that more recently the 'pops and bangs' when off the accelerator sound like they're coming from the front again, rather than the back, indicating a slight blow.

If anyone has much experience of these engine mounts I'd be keen to hear your thoughts. The top hydraulic engine mount doesn't look to have leaked, however it does seem to sit very flat. I haven't been able to inspect the lower engine mount yet. I'm thinking they may want replacing as they have most likely never been changed.

______

Next, one little self inflicted issue - I went to collect my half brothers from school, and whilst parking, I kerbed my nearside front alloy. At least I didn't pay to have them painted eh! I can just sand and polish the area when I get round to it.

______

On the subject of wheels - before my little kerb incident, I had spotted the odd marks appearing on the bare metal surface of the wheels. I was unsure how this surface would fare long term - and it had been several months (including winter) before any marks appeared which I'm very happy with. I just got the Autosol out with a microfibre and they came up really shiny again which is how they have stayed up to now. I'm quite happy spending 20 mins every few months if that's all it takes to keep them shiny!

And done (I think this is a different wheel, but you get the idea)

______

As you may have previously read - I was having some issues with the screw in Velcro pads which hold the floor mat down. I decided to epoxy the Velcro part on in the end, however about a week later - the Velcro part on the mat itself ripped off! Itís the original mat and has worn quite a bit, so I just decided to order one from the dealer.

A drivers mat was about £35 - not exactly cheap but the quality is so much better than the eBay tailored mats Iíve bought over the years. And would you believe it - it comes with a set of the screw in Velcro pads anyway!!! The material looks a little bit different to the original - although the both bare the same part number. Maybe it's just the age of my original mats that make them look different.

Old and new. Not bad considering the mileage.

Even included a handy template in case you hadn't got the holes in your carpet ready for the pads!

New pads in

______

The aerial on my MINI had always been a little bent backwards, a few weeks ago it suddenly went decidedly more flaccid and lost signal on all stations apart from classic FM! As I had just fitted a DAB capable head unit, I decided to order a replacement combined DAB and FM aerial. It was around £40 and had very good reviews. It also looks almost identical to the OEM unit!

Fitting was very simple, just a little time consuming. The main part of the job is dropping the headliner to get access to the nut holding the aerial base on. I think itís possible by just dropping the rear half of the headliner, however it was hard to see what I was doing - so I just lowered the whole thing. Itís really only a case of removing the sun visors, grab handles and moving the trim around the seatbelts out of the way, which allows it to drop.

The old aerial base was a genuine mini part, however I think it may be a slightly unusual one which combines the antenna for the weird factory fit sat nav or something, as it was a far larger base with several connectors coming off it. It also caught on the spoiler with the boot open for some reason!!! The new aerial required a switched 12v connection for a booster, happily the obsure original one had a feed to it already, so I just connected that up, plugged in the FM part and ran the SMB cable for the DAB connection across the head liner, down the a pillar and to the back of the radio. It all worked fine and I put it back together.

The signal quality is excellent on both DAB and FM. Every other car Iíve experienced with aftermarket DAB has been terrible, so this was a welcome surprise! A job well done.

______

And finally a couple of pictures from a drive out on a sunny day recently. The car wasn't very clean, but it was a good setting!

______

Thatís all for now! Iím going to Waxstock tomorrow in the MINI, so if anyone spots me in the car park - please do give a wave or come and talk cars!

jbenekeorr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to jbenekeorr For This Useful Post:
Deathstar (21-07-2018), James_G (23-07-2018), Jmax (23-07-2018), JR1982 (21-07-2018), kdot (23-07-2018), Naddy37 (23-07-2018), neilb62 (21-07-2018), rojer386 (22-07-2018), Sicskate (23-07-2018), ttc6 (23-07-2018), Welshquattro1 (25-07-2018)