Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 13-03-2017, 03:27 PM   #1
Peteo48
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Autoglym Aqua Wax and endless protection.

It's getting to that time of year when you think of polishing and waxing but I've been monitoring my use of Auto Glym Aqua Wax since I last applied more conventional protection back in September last year. Just as an aside I finished off some AG EGP on part of the car and did the rest with Bilt Hamber Double Speed wax.

I wash the car every fortnight - more or less - and every second wash apply AG Aqua Wax. I've just done it this morning.

The beading is still incredible. In fact it hasn't declined at all. The car is outside all year round although I only do about 3,000 miles pa. The regular washing and aqua waxing means the dirt literally floats off with no pressure at all on the wash mitt.

On the Polished Bliss website, in the quick detailer section, they talk about these products extending protection "almost indefinitely."

Based on the last six months I think that is dead right.
Peteo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peteo48 For This Useful Post:
Naddy37 (13-03-2017), steelghost (13-03-2017), todds (17-03-2017)
Old 15-03-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
ShiningWit
Washmitt Meister

Is aqua wax a quick detailer more than a wax then really?

Also when you do the fortnightly wash, what do you actually do? prewash/foam? rinse, 2 buckets?

Ta.
ShiningWit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 01:46 PM   #3
GleemSpray
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,461 Posts
AquaWax is a liquid spray wax, that you use as a drying aid.

You wash the car with shampoo or whatever as normal, then rinse the car off as normal - then when its still wet you spray some AquaWax onto the wet paintwork and work it around with a microfibre cloth to spread the Aquawax out all over the paintwork and trim.

As you are doing this, it is soaking up the rinse water and leaving a thin film of wax all over the paintwork and trim. You have to wring the cloth out from time to time to get rid of excess water.

Its a similar technique to how you might use a chamois leather to dry a car, really, but you are putting down a thin layer of wax at the same time.

This film of wax then dries and you might have a small amount to buff off with a dry microfibre, but not usually. The car is left dry and spotless and looking waxed.

Its a great product.
GleemSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GleemSpray For This Useful Post:
Autoglym (17-03-2017), firehorse (21-03-2017), Peteo48 (15-03-2017), ShiningWit (21-03-2017), todds (17-03-2017)
Old 15-03-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
Peteo48
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiningWit View Post
Is aqua wax a quick detailer more than a wax then really?

Also when you do the fortnightly wash, what do you actually do? prewash/foam? rinse, 2 buckets?

Ta.
I do use the 2 bucket method although I don't use a prewash. I tend to rinse the car thoroughly first with the hose set to a spray setting. My low mileage means there is not that much road dirt on the car compared to a daily driver used for work etc. The bulk of the dirt is fallout. I use AG Bodywork Shampoo and Conditioner. I do sometimes wonder if I should use a prewash however but I am able to use such light pressure with the wash mitt I wonder whether it's really necessary in my circs.
Old 15-03-2017, 04:37 PM   #5
VinnyTGM

I think aqua wax is a great product, it speeds up drying and tops up your lsp at the same time, I use it every wash apart from if it's raining.

Just finished a quick wash on my 3 series with aqua wax.

Foamed with valet pro ph neutral
Washed with autoglym shampoo
Dried with aqua wax, buffed using second drying microfibre.

It leaves the car with a just waxed look.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
VinnyTGM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VinnyTGM For This Useful Post:
Autoglym (17-03-2017), todds (17-03-2017)
Old 15-03-2017, 04:48 PM   #6
Arms
Unwashed Member

I wouldn't say that it extends the protection indefinitely. What happens is you just put a new coat of wax every time you use it. Which means that it is on top of what ever is beneath it whether it be another wax or nothing.

The beading is incredible and it hasn't declined at all because the Aqua Wax gives you that beading every time you use it. Stop using the Aqua Wax and after a while and few washes you can see if the originally used product is still working or not.

Anyway it's a good product for short term protection and gives a good looks for the car.
Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #7
Peteo48
Sponge Jockey

Garage
It's an interesting question Arms. I started using the Aqua Wax shortly after polishing with AG SRP and then applying the remainder of some EGP on part of the car and Bilt Hamber Double Speed wax on the rest.

So - have I been protecting the protection? It certainly seems that way.

Saying all that I will be polishing and waxing again soon.
Old 17-03-2017, 05:32 PM   #8
Bigpikle
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,860 Times in 1,869 Posts
it is an interesting topic really, as people here can get very focused on whether product 'x' lasts weeks or months longer than product 'y' and then in the next breath talk about using a spray wax or sealant or QD with wax etc after every wash.... Some of these top-up products will also be gradually eroding the LSP underneath through their solvents as well.

Its probably then worth thinking about whether your original LSP and top-up products offer protection from UV, are effective against etching from bird crap etc. There are products that can offer amazing beading but actually very little protection against environmental damage, and visa versa of course.

Its possible to continually maintain a high level of beading and protection but inevitably contaminants build up and arent removed simply by washing, so its still necessary to strip everything and deep clean every once in a while.
Bigpikle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigpikle For This Useful Post:
todds (17-03-2017)
Old 17-03-2017, 05:32 PM   #9
GleemSpray

Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteo48 View Post
It's an interesting question Arms. I started using the Aqua Wax shortly after polishing with AG SRP and then applying the remainder of some EGP on part of the car and Bilt Hamber Double Speed wax on the rest.

So - have I been protecting the protection? It certainly seems that way.

Saying all that I will be polishing and waxing again soon.
GleemSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GleemSpray For This Useful Post:
Bigpikle (17-03-2017), Peteo48 (19-03-2017), todds (17-03-2017)