Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > DW TV > Tyres & Wheels (TV)
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22-06-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
lee8
Unwashed Member

Gtechniq C5 curing method

I'm going to get my diamond cut alloys replaced under warranty due to the usual white worm,they were protected with C5 but tbh they have been protected well after 2 1/2 years.

The question is how do you speed up the curing process of C5?
lee8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 10:15 PM   #2
Blueberry
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 4,084 Times in 2,586 Posts
Garage
You can't really speed up the curing time. It is what it is. It needs about 12 hours to cure without getting wet. Applying it summer and leaving it overnight when no rain is forecast should be fairly easy to do.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 11:02 PM   #3
lee8
Unwashed Member

Maybe I should have explained my situation a bit better,my car is garaged over night and it has always been so for reasons of security and keeping it dry and warm?

Last time applying C5 after thorough cleansing with blueberry wheel cleaner,Tardis,and twice wipe down with eraser before applying the C5 this was the alloys off the car.

I did 2 wheels at a time leaving an hour before putting wheel back on car and removing the other 2 wheels to repeat the process again,after a few hours drove car back into garage.

The next time I had notice brake particles had embedded into the C5 coating and hardened and what was suppose to be a spotless finish I had tiny specks of dots on each wheel due driving the car when the C5 coating hadn't fully cured hard!

I had thought about those infrared lamps used by body shops but fir the my purpose abit too much £'s unlike there are cheaper version I could justify the costs to speed up the curing process so that the C5 coating IS fully cured before I plonk them back on the car.

Any ideas most welcomed.
Old 22-06-2015, 11:34 PM   #4
Jev
Sponge Jockey

I take all wheels off put the car on axle stands. Clean and protect leave to cure over night in warm dry place then check cured completely before putting back on the vehicle. Those curing lamps are good or a good halogen to speed it up abit but not cost effective.
Jev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 09:37 AM   #5
lee8
Unwashed Member

Might see if I can borrow a spare wheel and do one at a time.
Old 23-06-2015, 08:59 PM   #6
great gonzo
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,265 Times in 2,420 Posts
Axle stands are very cheap from Halfords, much easier to have all the wheels off at the same time. If they are left inside the house over night no need for heat lamps then
Gonz.
great gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 11:57 PM   #7
lee8
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by great gonzo View Post
Axle stands are very cheap from Halfords, much easier to have all the wheels off at the same time. If they are left inside the house over night no need for heat lamps then
Gonz.

I agree totally luckily borrowed a set of alloys so I can rest assured car is garaged at night and can let the wheels cure fully without having to get brake dust before then.
Old 24-06-2015, 02:07 AM   #8
MAUI
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee8 View Post
Maybe I should have explained my situation a bit better,my car is garaged over night and it has always been so for reasons of security and keeping it dry and warm?

Last time applying C5 after thorough cleansing with blueberry wheel cleaner,Tardis,and twice wipe down with eraser before applying the C5 this was the alloys off the car.

I did 2 wheels at a time leaving an hour before putting wheel back on car and removing the other 2 wheels to repeat the process again,after a few hours drove car back into garage.

The next time I had notice brake particles had embedded into the C5 coating and hardened and what was suppose to be a spotless finish I had tiny specks of dots on each wheel due driving the car when the C5 coating hadn't fully cured hard!

I had thought about those infrared lamps used by body shops but fir the my purpose abit too much £'s unlike there are cheaper version I could justify the costs to speed up the curing process so that the C5 coating IS fully cured before I plonk them back on the car.

Any ideas most welcomed.
I don't understand why the C5 did not dry enough after a few hours. Even if you put too much, C5 flashes quickly and should not have held on to brake dust after a few hours. Something doesn't sound right.
MAUI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #9
lee8
Unwashed Member

Maybe it was the time of year that I applied the coating which was in December(friggin cold) dry but not very warm.and I had noticed when I parked car back in garage there was a speck of dirt on the alloy, I lightly remove it with my finger but found that the coating hadn't cured causing what seems like lacquer that hasn't dried fully and it touch it leaving finger prints on.
Old 24-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #10
EliteCarCare
Approved DW Trader

Thanked 2,417 Times in 1,683 Posts
Send a message via MSN to EliteCarCare
The wheels should be hardened enough to drive after about 6 hours, but the coating will fully harden over the next week. You can accelerate the process a little but using a heat gun on a low setting.

If any brake dust does embed itself into the coating during that time, some Gtechniq W6 will dissolve it without harming the C5.

Alex

Contact us on 01628 671213 for friendly advice or to place an order.

EliteCarCare is offline   Reply With Quote