Detailing World Forum banner

Volvo S60 D5 2002

32K views 62 replies 18 participants last post by  GrantB5 
#1 ·
Purchase Day

So as much as I wanted to get the golf up to a half decent standard, it was starting to eat money and it really wasn't practical enough. Even moving to a smaller pram recently (this is the reason I got the golf thinking it would be easy to fit in) it just didn't work for me. Plus with the baby seat in the back and the front passenger seat usually had to be moved forward, then it messed with my vision when the seat was occupied. Anyway the golf was sold after some Ebay timewasters.

Flicked through looking at a bunch of E46 & E39 BMW's, even some T30 X-Trails (I work in Nissan parts so this was a £££ saver, but none ticked the boxes really).

I was also looking at S60 and S80 even though an estate would have been more useful, the looks of the V70 just don't appeal to me.

Got in touch with a car trader, 2002 Volvo S60 D5 SE Automatic. 163 BHP full leathers etc etc. £995 Strictly no offers.

Advert photos :

There were a bunch more photos but I won't list them all. 124K, tonnes of paperwork which I will get too shortly. The deal was done and I purchased the car. My first Volvo.

Stuck some fuel in at a local Shell.

Now there are some issues which far as I am aware are common issues and I will get on to them pretty shar****.

Managed 54mpg round the M25 in the outside lane on the display which I have also read seems a bit optimistic but beats the thirsty 1.8T golf.

Now I didn't just buy a 124K car with issues for no reason. The car has had 2 cambelt changes, the most recent carried out at volvo after an oil leak in that area. There are a tonne of invoices for services, tyres, MOT's and repairs. Check out some of the paperwork below. It's had a full set of Bosch injectors, intercooler, steering rack work, hoses and bushes. Although looking at the most recent service invoice carried out in May, there's a piece of paper with some recommendations on and I feel the owner decided to think enough is enough and decided to move on. The MOT runs out end of June.

Gutted I never see that last sheet of paper until I got home and organised all the paperwork. At the end of the day its a sub £1000 car and I wasn't there to hustle. The car needs a O/S/F fog lamp and a N/S/R lamp lens. Oh and a pair of wipers!

I will get the car on the ramp tomorrow and see whats going on and knuckle down with the oil leak.

Any advice will be great as I am currently in no mans land apart from looking at a few PH posts and I have just signed up to Volvo Forums . ORG

Updates soon and mainly phone photos for a little while.

See less See more
G
#35 · (Edited)
Imagine everything is more expensive in London...
ATS Euromaster....fitted price £168.10 ...Tyres alone..£142.76

HANKOOK Ventus S1 EVO 2 K117
225/45 R17 92Y XL
£84.05
X2
£168.10
HANKOOK Ventus S1 EVO 2 K117
225/45 R17 92Y XL
£71.38
TUBELESS VALVE FITTED - CAR
£3.99
WHEEL BALANCE-CAR(A)
£6.99
SCRAP DISPOSAL CAR VAN 4X4
£1.69

#38 ·
Car looks very clean for the year!

The tyre wear issue is fairly common. A lot of S60 owners run 36 psi in the front tyres to lessen the tramlining and reduce the wear.

The 0004 Siren fault is most likely due to a faulty Alarm siren. The siren is located in the wheel arch which means it gets battered a bit and eventually fails. Try setting the alarm off, if it doesn't sound then that is the issue.

I haven't seen the door lock fault code before I'm afraid so can't help there.

#40 ·
Car looks very clean for the year!

The tyre wear issue is fairly common. A lot of S60 owners run 36 psi in the front tyres to lessen the tramlining and reduce the wear.

The 0004 Siren fault is most likely due to a faulty Alarm siren. The siren is located in the wheel arch which means it gets battered a bit and eventually fails. Try setting the alarm off, if it doesn't sound then that is the issue.

I haven't seen the door lock fault code before I'm afraid so can't help there.
Thanks I will look in to this next week!

#42 ·
Probably the most boring thread I have ever made but hey ho.

I've not had any issues as of yet.

I have just ordered a service kit and in the next week or so I will be ordering a new n/s/r light cluster, o/s/f fog lamp and a replacement o/s wing mirror (someone kindly knocked it off and it is in great fashion, taped on)

I had the air con regassed at work today for my trip to goodwood on Saturday for Players Classic to kindly leave it public parking, weird because last year I took my BMW X1 and it was parked in the paddock area.

Had the car cleaned today at work also for the first time in ownership.

Once I have done the service bits next week I will get a few photos up as it has been long overdue.

Not been driving it much lately but the car has been faultless, I have probably covered around 1,000 miles. Not as good on fuel as I would like but I am heavy footed at times so probably my own doing.

MOT coming up at the end of the month also, need to get it booked in to Volvo and have the car scanned and fault codes removed.

#44 · (Edited)
Have PM'd.

Starting to get a list building up now and this is where I start wondering wether the car is worth it, but this car is comfortable, large enough, fast enough, eco enough. So I'm happy with it.

List

- O/S/F Fog Lamp (Used)
- N/S/R Light Cluster (Used)
- O/S Wing Mirror (Used)
- Service Bits (Purchased already, need to fit)
- Drop Links Front
- Lower Arms Front
- Lower Arms Rear
- Condenser
- Couple Tyres
- Front Disc & Pads

To be honest its nothing to drastic, lower arms are the most costly but the condenser is the most annoying. I have had an expensive couple of months but the Volvo is about to have some love

#45 · (Edited)
The main thing is to keep it safe and roadworthy - fog light will turn up cheaply enough at some stage, and the front brakes are less than £100 in parts for Pagid items (before trade discounts ;) )

there's a couple of NSR light clusters on epay currently..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-VOLV...001483?hash=item4b169e034b:g:JQ4AAOSwls5Y52PT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/volvo-s-6...267766?hash=item1c87d99476:g:sloAAOSwDKtY1WDk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-Volv...r:2002&hash=item51f6d875d1:g:6mQAAOSw53NY9isJ

second one looks to be too white on the lower half, non tinted

#46 ·
I serviced the car today before a motorway round trip coming up this week. I also have a MOT done, friendly one as the issues are being sorted in the next few weeks :read: .

Dug the camera out today also. I have realised on these threads I only ever really take photos of my car in the workshop at my work and never in the outdoors. The cars do move people, honestly, I just never go anywhere interesting enough.

Ovlov on the MOT ramp.

The engine bay in all its glory.

Cracked front fog, picking up a replacement on ebay.

Mirror that someone kindly damaged for me, also getting on ebay.

Big old sofas.

Boot strut thats broken, going to replace this with a new pair.

Big old boot for a saloon thats going to get filled up with bags tomorrow.

Rear light cluster that needs replacing, also buying from ebay.

Photos from the service.

Air filter was nice and easy to change although the air box has a bit of a bow in and doesn't close correctly.

Pollen filter was pretty simple but putting a pretty flimsy filter upright in to a tough plastic unit is not ideal.

Changed fuse number 38, 5A, for the alarm siren. The fuse had blown and the message seems to have disappeared so far. IF it comes back its time to change the unit.

New fuel filter in place.

Oil filter in place.

Think the oil could be coming from the crankshaft oil seal. This is being kept an eye on but need to jack the car up in the wash bay at some point soon and clean the oil off with the jetwash and trace it from there on.

More updates soon.

#48 ·
Yesterday I got the car on the ramp to carry out a bit of work, didn't manage to get everything done so will finish it off Monday. But it's nothing that really requires photos.

The car had been sitting around since the end of july at my work, so the battery died out so that was now on the list of bits to change over, along with discs and pads and the condenser.

So first off the BluePoint set came out..

Some new bits and bobs..

Wheels off to reveal how bad the discs had became, especially since sitting around for around 6-7 weeks.

Next was to get the arch liners off, and to my surprise they were pop riveted in. Joy.

Front bumper off..

Remove some lights and disconnect some plugs..

The new condenser..

Couple of the air vents on the condenser had broke but this will be fine.

New condenser connect and reassembly to start..

One thing I needed to do that is near on impossible from up top was replace the indicator bulbs. Mine looked like squashed skittles.

O/S/F fog light replaced.

New discs and pads going on.

Caliper spring clip was not put back on upon photo taken.

The battery had died out while sitting around also, but I had previously mentioned the car needing a battery.

I replaced the N/S/R light cluster and also replaced the indicator bulbs.

Monday I will regas the air con system, replace the brake fluid and connect the arch liners back together.

So mechanically that leaves

- Drop Links Front
- Lower Arms Front
- Lower Arms Rear
- O/S Wing Mirror (Almost mechanical ha)

#50 ·
Well, after doing the condenser and bits and pieces. The air con was regassed and it worked perfectly. Will need to give it a few days of use to see if it leaks etc.

But moving the car around to get it washed etc, the starter motor stuck. Quick bang with a hammer got it going again but couldn't be dealing with that.

£145 for a new unit later and the car starts up immediately along with the new battery.

Will update with a few photos in the next day or so, also cleared out part of the egr system, my god it was filthy!

The car is going to my Mum today but I will be carrying out a bit more work on it in the near future. Lower arms and tailgate rods and some droplinks too!

#54 ·
Ha the workshop was cleaned after I got the car of the ramp, cleaner comes in once a week at work.

Nice car and a great thread :)

What bulbs did you replace the indicators with, normal Orange coted bulbs or the Diadem/Silvatec bulbs?
Just standard orange bulbs, got them for free at work so no complaints here!

Just read all the updates there, and you've really resurrected the big Swede. It'll last for years now. Great work.

Will your mum be keeping it?

Cooks
Well I will be starting a new thread soon for what I will be driving next, job related, so will make a bit more sense as for the swap.

But for the foreseeable future the car will be staying and even when my Mum wants to change I think I would like it back. For the cost of the car, comfort, power and reliability considering the age and miles I'm not sure it would be worth selling financially. I only covered 2700 miles in the 4 and a bit months I owned it and it sat around for 6 weeks. Its cost me just over £1700 and I stand in at around £0.63 PPM. So hopefully my Mum will do a few motorway trips up north and get some use out of it and bring some value back to the car.

#58 ·
Hope you enjoy it.

My Mum is still driving the car. Had to have the DIM repaired and 2 new tyres.

Car is going to have some wishbones on and the wheels could do with a refurb thats for sure.

Miles still ticking along nicely.

May even try and give it a nice clean in the spring.

#60 ·
I have literally just put a new thread up for a car I picked up.

I now work for Uber and currently drive a Mondeo which cannot be tinkered with. Apart from servicing / tyres / clutch and dual mass not much has gone on. Apart from an accident I was in Thursday. It is now in for body repair, I was rear ended on the M4 at medium speed.

But, I have picked up an E46 compact that I was waste some money on. :D

#63 ·
Right, bit of a blast from the past.

So the last 2 years I have been doing Uber in my Ford Mondeo 1.6 TDCi and that insurance is coming to an end and I am no longer renewing it and surrendering my vehicle licence for private hire.

So this means the mondeo is going back to Mother, the car has lost so much value with miles and some body condition and being classed as a 'taxi'. So I don't want to sell it, my Mum can have it in replacement of the Volvo.

This means the S60 is coming back to me but it will be getting cleaned up and sold.

My mums had servicing done, having the dash clocks repaired, rear discs and pads and a new caliper, suspension work and the car runs pretty smooth. The car is just shy of 140,000 miles.

I now work for a steam cleaning company and also a project with Chemical Guys which more can be revealed in the next couple of weeks.

But if anyone fancies the S60 before listing it please let me know, will only be looking for around £750 ish I'm thinking but will have photos and all work done listed here once all cleaned up and grouped all paperwork together.

I still have my E46 compact and the donor car but I have just not had the time or motivation for it so its still at my friends unit, but I have just picked up my new daily which is Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ 2.7 CRD auto. This is probably gonna take priority over the compact too but I do really want the engine swap done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.