Detailing World Forum banner

Tom's Garage, Audi A4 BT-Quattro Project from Greece

577K views 1K replies 143 participants last post by  Rab W19 
#1 · (Edited)
Audi A4 BT-Quattro Project from Greece

Hello from Greece. My name is Mike. I have been following Detailing World, for some years now, without writing.
Cars are my love, my passion, like most of the people who are in this forum. I was mostly into Studio, Showroom, and of course, in the Projects and Restorations area.

The purpose of this thread, is to show you the progress of my own project. Well one of my projects, the one that takes most of my time.
The car itself is an Audi A4 B7 (8E) Model, 1800cc 20valve Turbo engine inside, and ofcourse, Quattro.

I started modifying it, from the minute I got it in my hands, and the story starts from June 2008. It is a long story, and some of you in here, may know this car already, since it is featured in more fora here and there.
However, I will show progress from start to finish, little by little, so that it has interest to all followers :)

So, let us begin.

It took me not a whole lot of time to begin the mods - First was the exhaust to be modified.

Old exhaust

New cat back exhaust

(the car was initially going for a big turbo, therefore, i chose a 76mm pipe)

Some photos of me when i took the car from my dad [wrench]

with my friend's big turbo MKV GTI, Tom, who is also in charge of my whole build of this car :)

gauges installed

My man who made the gauges work, XM Vaggelis Xaitas at Greece

Ready for suspension, Custom PSS9 racing @ Kirlagkitsis Greece (u can see on the right a racing Impreza)

Gauges almost finished

On the road to Athens

See less See more
#65 ·
So installing things - took somewhere . . . . here . . . January 2010

-First of all I went in the morning to pick up the oil return line because ATP's didnt fit, it was short as it proved out, and then got back @ home garage to put it on, fill oil and water, check everything up and fire it up to see if we could make it to the exhaust shop which is not near me...

Some random pics of where it is standing at the moment...

What is more, some other things arrived from Mike2ptZero, Ringer Racing

Getting there - almost ready

#67 ·
Time for some new engine mounts....

Removed the OEM old ones..

And putting on the new ones...

Made my dump tube look similar to my exhaust pipes

The STERN engine mounts, the firm ones i took, are something more than great...
The car feels so more solid than before...no engine walking in front of you....
Even the steering wheel feels differently, it is awesome...
Yes, inside, there is vibration. And if something made some noise before, it will now make more....But it is superb....I would do it again and again and again...

Some parts that never got used in the end...

I used this filter instead of the HKS one, this one by JR, so as the headlight can get in place....

Once i have the time, I will have to make an adjustment to the turbo's oil return line, a shorter one, and get my bumper back on....
Oh and adjust fuel and stuff a bit....Running very rich @ high rpms at the moment....
But that's ok...Another thing is to put another spring in the 007 Forge DV.

So far tested the car from 0,9bar (Tial's spring), to 1,4bar

Current status of the car back then:

#69 ·
Did some more things here and there .

Trimmed the RS4 plastic panel so as it fits, due to the new intake piping...

And a small new filter purchased since I removed the catch tank

Acquired some more stuff on my way home.

Some t-bolt clamps....Not cheap by any means, but hey....better safe than sorry....

So...

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Leaving us here for the moment.

Ordered some things as well

ARP Bolts

KN Filter

#70 ·
Well today some more things happened to the car...some good some bad...

-Started with removing the oil from the car, but then, I had to NOT be careful, and cut a wire from the oil temp/level sensor....back to the stealership to buy a socket, and wires, and it became new again...

_then went to modify my oil return line...But found out i would need to make a new one, a third one (!) cause the inner part of my line was all twisted and destroyed...
So money there again...MAde it as it should this time, and then dressed it with DEI exhaust wrap so as to protect it from its way through the exhaust manifold...
Some pics...

Before:

After:

Then modified some things here and there...

And while I was ready to get the car out for a ride, I did the greatest stupidity of all times...using a screwdriver to destroy some plastics on the steering wheel's cooling system for appearence issues mostly, i destroyed something else too..correct guess...my radiator is now destroyed, and all the fluids were at my face and my clothes...Lucky me eh...?

So tomorrow I will buy a radiator propably...MORE MONEY....oh well...

Some more shots of the reasons I need a new filter...which is coming as we speak from US....

And some shots of the engine mounts which i hadnt shown...

-----------------------------------------------------------

So today, being upset and all, with my going wrong over the radiator thing, I went down to the garage to get some work done for monday when the new radiator will be here...hopefully...

First i discovered a usual leak at the PowerSteering fluid, fixed bu changing the clamps and putting mine...

Then I had to remove the crash bar...which i did...and then i wanted to have some fun....So I decided to change its colour too...

Then it was time for the intercooler to come off...
First the hoses...and then i removed its mountings...

And then I had to drain the coolant....at first i opened the coolant cap and it started to pee all over the place, LoL...so some went off from there...

And the rest from here...

When it was all finished I removed the radiator by removing these pins from above...

Which left the radiator to move a bit...

And then with the help of a lot of wd40 i removed the plastic hoses it has, and off it was...

here is how it stands now, feeling a bit sorry for itself....

I also cleaned the radiator fans a bit, and left it in the garage for one more night...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Todays updates....

Got my new radiator, from Valeo, and some new little things, like silicoone spray to lubricate the o-rings, which I got from the stealership, they seem to have many in stock...

Then went to the garage, freezing cold i couldnt do any work, but i had too...

- changing the o-rings, putting new ones in

new ones:

-Radiator into place

In comparison with the old one

- The way the cooler is mounted

The freshly painted crash bar

Still to go:

-Change some clamps with T-clamps
-A new oil-pressure Bolt
-KN Filter
-ARP T3 Flange Bolts
-Mod Bumper to fit

#71 ·
More work

- T - clamps done

- The Bolt for the GReddy Oil Pressure Gauge

I heat insulated the water return line so as to be safe, than sorry, since it passes too close to the manifold

-And I also put something that has been a long time since I last saw it on my car...

Then I received some package, again from Mike2ptZero, Ringer-Racing

Inside it, it had....

These:

And my KN Filter:

here in comparison to the JR which was strugling to stay alive these days

The problem is, that the KN had a 97mm flange, and my Turbo inlet is 90mm. So I had to do something to fit it properly...So I cut a small 90mm hose piece and fit to the turbo and then the filter onto it...

here it is...

The clearance from the headlight is not big, but at least there is some finally.

Made some test runs

Some better photos of the filter Neoklis found me

And what we finished up around 12 am as we speak...

#74 ·
A surprise from an idea I had...
While my and my friend Dimitris were having a break at the library from studying, i thought there was a cool place where we could take some photos for an hour or so and have fun...So we called our friend Kostas Santinos, and he hooked us up with some great photos as always...

So, here are is the "break photoshoot" [:)]

And a US-spec-love-attempt

Some more:

Cheers everyone

#76 · (Edited)
As I told you guys , I have been a DW reader for like a very long time - so I just had to wash this car properly and like I was taught by people in here - I just never had someone taking pics. Until one day, I though why not . . .

....Enjoy some pics...

And the photographer's little beast back then, that also got treated with love

Cheers everyone

#77 · (Edited)
So some more little, but not cheap things here and there...

1. Some cloths, and a nice tool for little jobs i missed for sometime...

2. I bought some more high temps sleeves, from DEI again,

1x 1inch diameter x 3ft length
1x 1/2 inch diameter x 3 ft length...

Not cheap, but they are needed to prevent any damage in the long run...

However, i thought i should need the DEI one not the one with the stitches but the one with the Velcro on it...And guess what...it had the double price tag on it...

So here comes creativity and imagination...

From this:

I cut the stitching, with a razor, and using my heavy duty velcro i had, i did this...

Ending up with this:

And this

Now, i can cut as much as i want and wrap wires without removing them and wrapping them from their start...Me likeyyyyyyyyyy [:)]

Ordered this beauty as well...

New look for the engine bay , w/Greddy Catch can installed but shorter version of it

#79 ·
Engine bay was getting to where I had pictured it to be

Maintenance and upgrade shoping as usual

I then, got this beauty from Mike2ptZero @ Ringer Racing

All was looking good, but I found some water leaking from the water feed hose that couldnt hold against the heat from both the Turbo and the exhaust manifold..So I changed it with another one...

So from this:

To this:

And this:

And there it was, done.

#81 ·
Well we did some go-karting, had some nice wheel-to-wheel battles, lap timing,

and then i took permission to enter the track with the Audi, to have some rounds in it...

Here are some pics from our evening...

Photos were taken with a Nikon D90 ( D90 w/ AF-S 18-105 mm VR)... taken by Kostas Sant, Santinos.

Here are some first shots

Some videos

And some more photos

Mooooooor pics from yesterday with NO photoshop or pic fixing of any kind....

or

hope you like them guys, Photos by Kostas Sant

#82 ·
Ordered:

and this

And arrived

Well some updates from today:

-First got my STERN Transmission Mount

-Then the crank breather silicone hose from 034 MotorSport

And then some custom fabrication for the rear dif bolt so as to get the temps from there...

Installed

Installation time...

#83 ·
I woke up one morning, thinking I should change my catback exhaust system...to what I always wanted it to be.
It used to be 76 mm splitting to 2x63 mm pipes with a muffler in each side...
I changed it and used the 3.0tdi rear valance i had...

Current setup

Removed

new 76mm piping

muffler to be used, to cut some sound too...

wonderful welding

Final results, pictures dont do it justice by any means...

(sorry for the crappy iphone pics)

I need to clean that underbody sometime when the weather settles to summer mode...

Some better pics . . . I really loved it . . . and still have it till today . . .

W T F are u looking at . . . . ?

Here is a video, the car is cold, and not revving over 2500-3000 rpm.

Keep in mind, that behind the car is a closed garage so there is some echo in the story...

And one of the inside . . . Once the turbo spools, the car gets reeeeeaaaaally tail happy...see for yourselves...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.