Detailing World Forum banner

BMW E36 Touring oem+

381K views 610 replies 159 participants last post by  wrxmania 
#1 ·
Since I'm sat with not much to do, I figured I'd make a build since I'm visiting this site more often and it's an excuse to post pics of my car :spam:

A bit of info on myself first, I'm Scott, 20 and a full time Photography Student in Glasgow. The car is being completely funded by myself and I try my hardest to do all the work myself, but I am fortunate enough to have my father and some like minded friends that have helped along the way :D

I bought the car in January for £740. 323I with 130K and 3 previous owners.

Before I'd even got the car, I knew I wanted to go down the oem+ route. So this meant finding M-Sport bumpers, wheels and coilovers. I'd thought about Style 32's off an E39 or Throwing Stars from an E34. The Style 32's came up first at a price I could not refuse. Specs are 17x9/8 et 26/20

I was looking for leather sport seats, but after an unexpected surprise in the scrappies, I found a near mint heated interior. Again, I couldn't refuse. I got the whole interior, minus a door card, headlights, and various other odds and ends for £140

In just over a month, I'd collected most of the parts I needed. Can anyone spot the mistake though?

Fast forward a month or two and I was finally given the go ahead to get the car painted. The majority of the work you see here was done by myself, apart from the welding and spraying.

:lol:

Mid arch rolling test fit

Bang on!

And if I just skip to the exciting part, fresh paint!

Got her all back together with the wheels and coilovers fitted

Then I started to dial in the height. I'm almost happy with it

She's sitting in the driveway at the moment, waiting for the wheels to be picked up from the powdercoaters (I kerbed two)

This is the most recent pic

I'm now at the stage where the paint is thoroughly cured and can apply some polish/wax. I'd like to but a DA, but we'll see how many pennies I have!

Thanks for looking, I know it's a lot to read :lol:

See less See more
#67 ·
Car went in for it's MOT today and failed on a couple things

R/H Track Rod
L/H Ball joint
Handbrake
Airbag light

I've already diagnosed and fixed the airbag light and in the process of swapping the lower arm and track rod end. Which I will have to do tomorrow, cause it got too late for the hammers!

Here's some more film snaps too

Yeah. I take too many photos of my car

#70 ·
So after a ****ing battle with the track rod ends, I got them sorted, well, my Dad got them sorted as we had to resort to heating it up and then grinding through until we were just about touching the threads! And even then it wasn't easy.

Killed it! :alright

So after all that, the car has pretty much all new suspension and brakes. Which resulted in it flying through the re-test! With no advisory's!

She's back down now. The alignment is a bit iffy, so that will get sorted this week

#83 ·
Lovely! That missing trim is a defining feature now. :thumb:
Thanks guys. Trim should be here tomorrow! Was meant to be here for Driftland.

Looks great had a touring too and was halfway through it when I had to sell her on!

You should pick up a reg plate delete and some fog light deletes they are cheap as chips cost me about 50euro for the lot so probably £30 ;)
Fogs are going back in soon. Thought about the plate delete, but it's too much of a faff around!

Driftland just finished, had a great weekend. Met some really good people and got to catch up with a lot of old friends, good times! :D

#91 ·
Just a cheap Meguires stuff, more of a polish than a wax tbh. I'll need to get a decent one for next year.

your cars looking ace . the other 2 above while looking great i alway sthink when they are cambered that much they look broken lol
Yeah, my mates have the standard camber arms adjusted all the way. The distortion on the lens makes it looks worse than it is :)

Stunning estate :thumb: and great Pics.

Love the OEM+ Theme.

That missing bit of trim needs a quick fix :eek:

Cheers,
Tim
Cheers Tim.

Bit of trim has been fixed!

#96 ·
Just back from getting the car aligned, made a huge difference on the drive back and my steering wheels is straight now too! :D That's pretty much all the mechanical things sorted on the car now, although I still have to service it.

They didn't bother touching the camber since the bolts were super rusted on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.