Detailing World Forum banner

BMW E36 Touring oem+

381K views 610 replies 159 participants last post by  wrxmania 
#1 ·
Since I'm sat with not much to do, I figured I'd make a build since I'm visiting this site more often and it's an excuse to post pics of my car :spam:

A bit of info on myself first, I'm Scott, 20 and a full time Photography Student in Glasgow. The car is being completely funded by myself and I try my hardest to do all the work myself, but I am fortunate enough to have my father and some like minded friends that have helped along the way :D

I bought the car in January for £740. 323I with 130K and 3 previous owners.

Before I'd even got the car, I knew I wanted to go down the oem+ route. So this meant finding M-Sport bumpers, wheels and coilovers. I'd thought about Style 32's off an E39 or Throwing Stars from an E34. The Style 32's came up first at a price I could not refuse. Specs are 17x9/8 et 26/20

I was looking for leather sport seats, but after an unexpected surprise in the scrappies, I found a near mint heated interior. Again, I couldn't refuse. I got the whole interior, minus a door card, headlights, and various other odds and ends for £140

In just over a month, I'd collected most of the parts I needed. Can anyone spot the mistake though?

Fast forward a month or two and I was finally given the go ahead to get the car painted. The majority of the work you see here was done by myself, apart from the welding and spraying.

:lol:

Mid arch rolling test fit

Bang on!

And if I just skip to the exciting part, fresh paint!

Got her all back together with the wheels and coilovers fitted

Then I started to dial in the height. I'm almost happy with it

She's sitting in the driveway at the moment, waiting for the wheels to be picked up from the powdercoaters (I kerbed two)

This is the most recent pic

I'm now at the stage where the paint is thoroughly cured and can apply some polish/wax. I'd like to but a DA, but we'll see how many pennies I have!

Thanks for looking, I know it's a lot to read :lol:

See less See more
#12 ·
Great transformation and photos :thumb:
I love this, top work! :thumb:
love it. very nice 36
What a turnaround, love it.
What a stunner!!!!
Thank you very much guys! :D

That looks amazing, think you should delete the rear wiper to clean it up though :)
I was toying with the idea, but the rear screen gets dirty really easily. I'm looking for a more modern, enclosed wiper. It cleans the rear up well.

That looks like a 5 series front wing.
Close. It's an E36 wing, just a Coupe version. I didn't know they were different.

Not my cuppa char but bloody nice.. the paints better than BM's now... I guess you don't have speed humps where you live? :wave:
It's not everyone's taste, so I can respect that :) It's not as bad as you think, it only really scrapes on really big speedbumps.

Looks great. You are doing a top job.

Replacement front wing looks too big.

Also, are you getting rear skirts to smooth the lines from front to rear.
Thank you. I don't get quite what you mean? Rear skirts?

#17 ·
#26 ·
Yep, a 328/M3 style exhaust will be on shortly.

So I got my wheels back from the powdercoaters last night and I'm very pleased with them, pretty much a perfect match. Finish is great too. Found a little unexpected guest though...Should be covered under warranty.

So today I went about cleaning them - wash, clay, polish, wax and then sealant. Has anyone used the Bilt Hamber wheel cleaner? I've heard it's quite good.

Then I went around to lowering the rear of the car. I was already all the way down on the adjuster, so I just took it out. Which allowed me to get the rear exactly where I want it. I still have the pad at the bottom left and a 1mm piece of rubber at the top

Here's some quick iPhone shots

#30 ·
Looks absolutely perfect.

I'm fully in love with it!
Thanks mate :D

Mate this is FULL of win. Can't tell your a photography student though. Haha First thing I though when I ony looked at the very first pic was, photographer is doing this!! Lol!

Anyway, get that piece of trim that you are missing. After all that hard work, it is letting the side down.

Car looks amazing though. I'd love to stance a 318is, 5 door saloon in blue with a creme interior.
Yeah, I know! This is actually my second set of trim and both of them are broken! Really need to find another bit though because as you say, it lets it down.

What is being done to the badges exactly?
They're being painted in the old M-Sport colours from the 70's. They're super hard to find and you can't really buy them anywhere. Should be a bit different when they're finished :D

#28 ·
Mate this is FULL of win. Can't tell your a photography student though. Haha First thing I though when I ony looked at the very first pic was, photographer is doing this!! Lol!

Anyway, get that piece of trim that you are missing. After all that hard work, it is letting the side down.

Car looks amazing though. I'd love to stance a 318is, 5 door saloon in blue with a creme interior.

#33 ·
I swear this car is just put on the earth to test me.

I may or may not have said this before, but since I got the car, I have been experiencing a quite harsh, at times, wobble on the steering. I put this down to having a worn ball joint and the RHD caliper sticking, which is a common problem apparently.

Now, I thought I fixed the caliper when I replaced the discs and pads, but tonight the steering wobble came back again, pretty violently. I stopped at a roundabout with smoke pouring out the front wheel. With the wheel too hot to touch. So I'm ordering a new caliper tonight which will hopefully cure it.

But here's some pics. Everyone loves pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.