Detailing World Forum banner

Toms 200k Rallye

43K views 77 replies 37 participants last post by  fatttty 
#1 ·
I've been meaning to make a thread on here for a while, there's a more extensive write up on 106owners. However I'll try to keep this up to date from now on.

I bought the car like this a couple of years ago.

I done some general maintenance on it, changed the alternator and swapped back a few of the less tasteful mods to standard items.

I swapped the standard engine mounts for some Vibratechnic mounts. Found some rust.

Gave it a full service.

I bought a Janspeed 421, caused no end of idling problems and major fitment issues.

I bought a steering boss and this OMP Targa was chucked in for free, so stuck that on. Which I've since swapped for a dished OMP wheel.

Pulled the dash and carpet out to sort some leaks, gave me a chance to wash the carpet off.

As with standard procedure with French cars, fixed some more problems.

Polished up the dirty Pugsport that came with the car.

Bought these for the 'bay, still yet to weld in.

Took it to French Car Show.

Hit 200k.

Got some B8s.

Machined polished the whole car.

Bought another engine and gearbox to rebuild, along with a non PAS rack and column.

I then removed the inlet manifold, replaced all the gaskets and sensors.

Bought some new OEM decals ready for a respray.

Sent it up to the Beanie to do some welding and painting.

Wetsanded and polished up the paint and wet sanded a nasty scratch on the outside.

Lowered the axle slightly.

Wet sanded the roof and polished it up.

Bought a QEP race head and CatCam pulley.

Then I got hold of Peugeot Planet out of curiosity, again being French had problems.

Bought some of Tommys steering arms.

Then the rear axle started to show signs of camber, so I bought an IM Axles refurbed axle and sorted some rust out under the boot floor, I also lowered the new axle but lowered it too much. So I'll be raising it up soon.

Just before Christmas 2012, one of the linkages kept coming off the gearbox, so I took this chance to swap the linkages for rose jointed ones and change the clutch at the same time.

Recently I've been sourcing parts for a new front suspension setup.

I then had some of the parts hard anodised and powdercoated.

I bought some 6" Faulkner 250lb springs and 3" 40lb Gaz helpers.

I was intending on using my B8s as the dampers, but this happened when I took them off the car.

Whilst this was happening I bought an OMP clutch and Compbrake quickshift.

I ordered some PSF Tarmac dampers to put in my coilovers.

Built the coilovers up and lowered it down. Excuse the dirt on the coilovers, I cleaned it off before being fitted.

I then bought some 23mm torsion bars and painted them up.

Finally just last week another car appeared on my drive.

That brings it up to date. Comments and criticism welcome!

Thanks for reading,

Tom

See less See more
#13 ·
Not so sure mind - I've seen built TU engines pull miles harder than many a new lump. Great car pal and well done for saving one. I had a Saxo VTR which rusted in the same places, my boot and inner arches were too far gone though! Keep it alive mate and loads of updates please.

#14 ·
Thanks for all the kind words guys! Nice to see appreciation for these little French boxes!

Anyway, today I stripped out the interior out of my new purchase, mainly to assess rust and tidy up the paint. Luckily there wasn't any rust inside, which makes a change!

Currently the plan is to strip this down to a bare shell and prep the interior for a respray and roll cage.

The paint was covered in what I can only describe as black sticky stuff, it's been hard work to remove it. I've been using Autosmart Tardis and it seems to break down with some manual labour.

So I went from this

To this

Sadly that's all I got done on it today, hopefully should have some more progress tomorrow!

Thanks for reading!

Tom

#17 ·
106 GTI is 16valve and has all the optional extras/comforts (PAS, sunroof, electric windows, etc). Rallye has none of the extras and minimalistic in the interior to save weight.

In reality I think Peugeot just made the 'Rallye' editions to sell the lowest spec'd 106s for a jacked up price.

#16 · (Edited)

This past weekend I've been swapping engines between my cars. The new Pug' donated it's engine to the old Pug'. The old engine gave up the ghost, head gasket went. Obviously whilst the engine was out of the old Pug', I gave it some loving. Took off a layer of structural grease and left the rust for show.

I tided up some of the rust and put some black Hammerite over the clean metal.

Engine went in with some back breaking labour on what seemed like an Indian summer weekend.

I got it all back together, runs nicely. Just need to swap my cam over to the new engine.

The plan regarding the shell is to make it super tidy inside and out, easier said than done though!

All for now,

Tom

#24 ·
Pimping Various Parts - Brake Servo, Pedal Box & Wiper Motor

I'm back after a little break, I was pretty burnt out working on french heaps for a while. However the love soon came back and started making some progress on the Rallye MKII. I started by taking everything remaining out of the engine bay and then degreased the 'bay, came up pretty nicely considering it's age.

Before

After

Brake Servo

I started the pimping with the brake servo. I originally wanted to take it apart and have the casing powder coated, but after looking at it, I didn't have the right tools really. So for now I've settled with the standard bare metal, etch prime, high build and satin black. Came out really well, shame the casing was slightly pitted from the rust apart from that it's pretty mint.
Before

During

After

I just need to buy a 23mm MC and clean up the brake fluid reservoir, then it's ready to go.

Pedal Box

This is still a work in progress, I'm waiting on some bolts from the electroplaters. However, I stripped the whole pedal box and brake linkage system down so that I could have everything powdercoated, cleaned, plated, etc.

Which looked like this

After powdercoating

I started reassembling it, however I need the bolts back from the 'platers in order to continue, so that's on hold 'till they get back.

Wiper Motor

Finally the last week or so I've been fiddling around with the wiper motor/linkages trying to make them look tidier.

Stripped the motor off the linkages and took the cover off.

I then decided that I wanted a better connector on the wiring, so after a talk with Stu' he recommended a Superseal connector. Took me a while to get the connector on, however got there in the end. Whilst the connector was off I tidied up the wiring with some heat shrink. I also fitted some nicer looking stainless bolts.

I then picked up the cover from the powdercoaters, along with some other parts.

Today I put all the linkages back together and reattached the motor, looks nice and tidy now!

That's pretty much it for now!

Tom :)

#30 ·
Thanks mate! I started out with a VTR, I can't seem to get away from them!

These are having some serious attention!
Thanks buddy, not a patch on some of the cars on here though!

I've a lot of love for these, my mate has one sitting in his garage though its rotten as a pear :(. I used to have a Mk1 1.0 106 (145 wide tyres, 4 on the floor lol), and it was an absolute hoot to drive, even did a track day in it. I can only imagine a tweaked Rallye would be epic!
Unfortunately most of them are rotten now, I've been quite lucky with my 2nd Rallye, it's pretty clean for the age.

It's very fun to drive round the backroads, hence the second one ;)

Love reading threads like this, makes me regret having a new car......nothing to spray, fix or upgrade!!

Keep up the good work, hats off to you for the attention to detail!
Thanks mate! Keeps me busy :)

whats the plans in having 2 of them Magic-making 1 mint and having other for track or 2 minters?:thumb:
Second one is slowly becoming a mint track car. Original one is being kept how it is, probably take the engine out at some point and sort the rust out. May need some advice with that ;)

#27 ·
I've a lot of love for these, my mate has one sitting in his garage though its rotten as a pear :(. I used to have a Mk1 1.0 106 (145 wide tyres, 4 on the floor lol), and it was an absolute hoot to drive, even did a track day in it. I can only imagine a tweaked Rallye would be epic!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.