Detailing World Forum banner

Ford puma's 1.7 saving them from the scrapyard

33K views 60 replies 36 participants last post by  littlejack 
#1 ·
Hello people and welcome to my progress thread on a couple of ford puma's, The story started when i sold my very much loved scooby :mad:and had no car, at this time my sisters other half was having problems with there puma and a local garage told them the engine was on its last legs as there was a funny noise coming from it and said it needed to be scrapped and he would give them £40 for it.
My sister said i could have it and do what i want with it so it was dropped to my workshop and was greeted with this from her other half.

He was a builder by the way but i could not believe the state of it and began the strip out and clean straight away.

The passenger floor was soaking wet and sorted that by cleaning up under the scuttle pannel and sealing it up with silicone.

And after a quick wash and polish it started looking a bit respectable, The noise from the engine was the cambelt tensioner so replaced with new belt + tensioner + water pump and was all good, it failed the mot on one tyre replaced with new and off i went. :thumb:

Thats about all i can type today as my eyes are going crossed but will upload some more progress tomorrow.

See less See more
#16 ·
I think you should go and collect her from work one day when its finished so she knows how a car should be kept. I hardly even clean my interior, I have a bit of dust on my dash board but I wipe it off with a microfiber and take rubbish out if I have a drink in the car etc. But that is disgusting.

Cheap car or not, theres no excuse to not take a carrier bag with you and fill it up with rubbish.

Brilliant turnaround.

One day I will find one of these cars that are going for £40 so I can have a cheap daily

#19 ·
Cheers for the great comments, i don't mind the dirt ( get on a pair of gloves and a mask and get stuck in ) i have had a lot worse come through my door.
After i had been driving this round for a bit i was looking through ebay for some spares and found another one in black newer and 70,000 miles less than the one i had now. So the advert said spares or repair non runner no mot no tax + a private plate for £350 ono and it was literally just around the corner in walking distance I thought i would be cheeky and offer £150 as i wanted the wheels and seals and things, they only accepted my offer so i said i would be right round, When i got there the lady said it had been to a garage for 4 weeks and they could not get it started.
So i signed the paper work and said could i have a look before i go back and get my toe rope out, She said you wont get it going and within 3 miniuts it was running and drove it back the workshop what a bit of luck and here she is with a not so nice number plate ( for me anyway )

With in two days of me owning it i parked it in the top car park and someone had driven into it and smashed the headlight and and wing :devil: The puma had the usual rusty rear arches but not as bad as the first one, I found someone selling a pair of professionally made replacement rear arches and bought them i had to wait nearly 3 weeks for them as the seller would not return my calls or emails in this time i had been the the scrappy and bought some pug 206 front wings as the can be used on opposite sides as rear arches not perfect but with both sides done you would not know the difference.
Then i got a parcel and yes it was my arches, I opened it up and my heart sunk i think my brothers 7 year old boy could have done a better job ( remember these are professionally made ) the metal had primer and filler on them so i guess these were cut out of a bonnet or something not new metal like stated and then just hammered the lip over and to finish it of he had used the same template for both so when i went to match the other side up it was completely different.
The n/s/r arch only needed a small bit cut out so i used one of the ( professionally made ) arches and cut out the bit i needed.

So never really done any welding i bought a small wolf mig and gave it a go. Here are some pics of the n/s/r arch in progress.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x281/d-
vide4/Puma/IMG_1531_zps1d3076c3.jpg

There was still alot of shapeing and filling to do here.

Thats all for now and will try to get some more up later on. :thumb:

#24 ·
I was just going through photobuckt and found the pics of the scooby just before i sold her :(

Back to the puma's, This was the drivers side arch which i had to cut completly out and weld in the pug 206 wing which i got from the scrappy.

In the next couple of pics you can see the rest of the repair work i have carried out on the car, the o/s/f wing came off to repair where it got crashed into in the car park.

It then got a few coats of hi build primer to get the body smooth.

More to come later :wave:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.