Detailing World Forum banner

Our Little Jazz.

15K views 41 replies 11 participants last post by  footfistart 
#1 ·
So as some of you are aware I have a couple of projects on the go. One coming to an end which is the fiesta and this one is taking its place in the ranks.
We were meant to be getting rid of the fiesta but the day if the exchange the car wouldn't start and was completely dead. Turned out the car blew some fuses. So we had to pay full price for it for 3200 as we needed it really. So now I've got three cars. The fiesta is currently up for sale at 1250 so we shall see if that disappears soon.

So our new family work horse is of course a little Honda Jazz I-DSI sport. It's a 1.4 82bhp family hatch in blue. It's got now 74800 on the clock. I have had this car just over a week and I have already out 500 miles through but I'll get to that in a minute.

It's got full history with a fair bit of paperwork which is always good. It's just been serviced only an oil change but the gearbox oil has been changed which is essential business for one of these as the gearboxes can be abit temperamental if not treated correctly.

It failed it's last MOT with a corroded brake caliper and rear discs worn to limits so they were changed and now has ZERO ADVISORIES with a brand new MOT on it.

The reason why we got this is because the fiesta was getting abit small as a run about with family growing. It's got isofix which for my Mrs was a must as she doesn't like the idea of strapping little man in which is fair enough. Also we wanted something more reliable and I think a Honda was a good choice.

So these were the pictures when we saw the car.

I've been using the car to go to and from Heathrow as my estate is not road worthy due to a dead instrument cluster and the MOT is not far from expiring. That's awaiting some warranty work. The jazz has been faultless driving. It's not the quickest or the fastest but it will happily sit at 70mph@2500rpm doing 50mpg.

I gave the car a wash today and I wish I didn't. Because of the dark colour it was covering all of the stone chips, scuffs and scratches.

I have found some sanding marks which will easily polish out.
The alloys are hanging. They need a refurbishment.

The tyres are alright just all sorts of brands so eventually they will all be the same.

This is what it currently looks like after an apc foaming and a good wash. Paint needs to be clayed as its rough. But this will happen when I machine it. I used bsd as a drying aid and then used it again afterwards. From a distance it looks good. Closer not so good :(

Sanding marks?

So plans......

Well I think I'll just take it as it comes and just give it what it needs with perhaps some upgrades which will be OEM style.

First thing to get is an arm rest. :)

Ryan

See less See more
#3 ·
A little update. The car is already going into the garage for some work.

No fault of our own and here is the reason. I was browsing the Honda UK website and came across recalls. So I put in the bin number and you guessed it......

It got three recalls against it.

Two of them are for over inflating airbags and one is for the electric windows. The switch for them is dodgy.

So that's booked in for the 1at of March and quoted 1.5hours to have it all done.

I also forgot to mention that the fog lights don't work. Checked the bulbs and they are OK. I didn't take them out as I need to get the damn undertray off!

Other than that's all seems to be well for now.

More to follow.

Ryan

#5 ·
Small update time.

I've fixed the fog lights. I drove the car onto bricks as you need a low profile Jack to Jack the car up (on the list).

Anyways I peeled back the under tray and saw the plug for the left unplugged. So plugged it back in and moved to the other side to find that was also unplugged. Very strange. Anyways plugged that back in and it works!

Nice easy fix.

Now as I have spent loads of money on my car this car will have to wait until next month so I can start doing bits to it.

Paint all the calipers, have the recalls sorted, change wipers to Aero type and then slowly start deep cleaning the car.

I have noticed slight amount of water coming into the boot. Apparently it can come from all sorts of areas so ill perhaps pull the black gutters on the roof off and see if there is any cracks in the sealant if there is any. They seem loose so ill get some new clips for them also.

I'll find other bits and bobs to do on the car I'm sure especially the machining when I get around to it.

Ryan

#7 ·
I found how to remove the roof moulding and had a quick look and just lifting three inches of it out and saw cracked sealant. This was the left hand side rear of the car and that's where the water is coming in. Time to raid work for some sealant me thinks.

I will pull the rear lights out. I want to de tango them and fit led reverse lights also as the originals are pretty dim.

Ryan

#9 ·
I'm hoping to get abit of work done kn this car this afternoon if the weather okay ball and if I wake up early enough (night shift so afternoon wake up).

I the car has sprung a boot leak I'm going to give the car a good wash again and clay the car as its the body is rough and pull the roof moulding off as thieves one of many places it can leak from. I'll remove those which is very easy and then clean them out and there are any cracks in the sealant I'll run some sealant down both sides and see if that helps. If not the tail lights will be next and if not again I have noticed some cracks in sealant around the top of the boot where the hinges are.

The leak isn't massive but it's noticeable and the car smells abit too which I don't like either. I need it clean as clean for my little one who is now a keen little passenger :)

More to come later today.

Ryan

#13 ·
It was from a small dealer and it does have warranty but typically it doesn't cover it. I called them and they said no because of the type of warranty.

So this afternoon I gave the jazz a wash and a scrub with my clay mitt.

Car was foamed with magifoam which is useless but put some apc which both needed using and helped shift dirt.

Then I washed the car using chemical guys glossworkz which I thought was crap.

The only good thing about it was the fact it smelt nice and suds up well and it's blue to match the jazz.
I ended up washing it again with some meguiars gold class as that actually does something.

As I washed the car using two bucket and water was still booking hot I out some more gold class in got the jet wash in there to foam it up and then got the mitt out.

The car felt really rough on the mitt so I was glad when it stopped making noises. Sounded terrible but feeling by hand felt like there wasn't alot.

I pulled the roof mouldings out to find loads of crap in there.

So I cleaned the gaps out and cleaned the mouldings and popped them back in. The left hand one is warped as if someone had tried to pull it out before so I'll get another one of those.

This is what it looked like after a scrub.

Looks quite good apart from the fact removing all the fallout and other crap has revealed more marks which need dealing with. The headlights need some work doing as well.

As some of you may know I won a small goody box with some samples and one of them was some HD POXY.

Well I thought I'd get it out and use it.

It says to use 6-8 drops and then leave for around 35-40 minutes depending on where you're in the world. So I primed the pad and swiped the car to get rid of the excess and applied a couple of blogs and started spreading. I found it quite oily but smells really nice. It's hard to describe but it just smells nice.
It spreads very well and goes quite far.

Hard to see it

When I'd finished applying it to the body, side windows and back screen I went in side had some dinner and came back to buff off.

Wow it's so easy to buff out and the car is feeling very slick indeed. I'm using this to hopefully last through to mid spring and then I'll set about machining and coating the car. There is a fair amount of black plastic so the dlux will come out for that :)

I took some picture but it was getting dark so I'll take better ones tomorrow.

Not bad at all for 2.5 hours of work.

More to come soon. car bus going to bonds next week for airbags and hopefully I'll see if they can sort out the air temperature sensor.

Ryan

#17 ·
Got yourself a lovely project there fella, and it's a nice blue, not seen that color before. :buffer:

View attachment 45612
No there isn't many in this colour that I have seen either. My in-laws neighbors have one bit they have a standard one which doesn't look as good.

I'm thinking about getting the windows tinted to tidy it up abit and for little one as its too bright for him especially as the sun is still low in the sky at the moment.

Ryan

#16 ·
Any chance you could give us a non sugar coated review of glossworkz and magifoam[emoji38]
Good work so far though. I'm looking for one of these for the wife and I really think the colour makes or breaks them. Id quite happily own one in your colour.
Are yeah sorry about that lol.

Yeah the colour does make or break it. we looked for a while. We were going to just get a standard one but the sport lots so much better. We couldn't find one with a spoiler and the spoiler really finishes it off.

Only trouble with this colour is that you can see all the stone chips, scratches and sanding marks.

I want to get a spoiler for ours but can't justify almost 350 for spoiler, painted and fitted. So I think I may have to go shopping in the Scrappy's and hope I get lucky.

The aerobic is really good. the car is gutless but that's from me driving my 2.2tdci so its going to be slower :)

Get on a jazz forum and there are posts on what to look for when buying one which I used. But I still managed to get a leaky boot. I'm.going to ask Honda when I take it there to see what they say. also the rest wheel bearings are grumbling and Honda have said in the passed they will replace bearing up-to a curtain age due to how badly made they were.

This was the same with the autobox. The early models has the wrong fluid in which. sides it to judder and slip but a simple change of transmission oil to a much better quality grade oil and the problem disappears.

Just take some for a test drive and see. We haven't regretted it as its so nice to drive and get 50+mpg.

Ryan

#18 ·
Gave the car a vacuum out and unfortunately I didn't find anything. When no had the fiesta I found a Kindle underneath the backseats!

Anyways it came out really well and I also gave the car a wile over with some bsd.

Now the car is looking nice and clean the car needs abit more work doing to it.

Recalls to be carried out which is happening on the first of March.

Outside air temperature sensor either needs a clean or replacement. I'll try and get one out of Honda first.

Steam clean engine bay.

Detango all round.

Fit MP3 thingy which is a retro fit.

Two rear tyres as the sidewalls are perishing.

Find some seat and boot protectors.

I also think two rear wheel bearings as the rear grumbles abit around 60mph. I'm going to ask Honda about it as there is a small possibility I can get them for free.

The rear bumper is cracked underneath so perhaps some plastic welding needs doing.

There is plenty of scratches and genuine marks all over the place.

Wheel alignment.

All four wheels need a refurb and the brake calipers need painting.

Trims to be restored

Aero wipers and possible jdm MOD for rear wiper which is basically change the position of it.

Fit an armrest

Replace left hand roof mouldings.

Find isofix cups as its a pain in the backside to get the base in because the mounts are buried in the seats.

Fit some led reverse and number plate lights.

Pressed plates and possible Honda holders.

Paint correction, coat the paint and attempt to fix some obvious stone chips.

Roof lining needs a clean as its minging.

Maybe get a spoiler if one comes up.

And finally sort this leak out! Got some sealant for this but first I think the tail lights need to come out.

So not a huge amount to do :)
Here is the car (better day light pictures this time)

My favourite picture so far.

So I've for a small amount to keep me going whilst studying and also playing dad.

More to come.

Ryan

#20 ·
Airbags and window switch have been done today so that's a tick off the list. The wheel bearings.... that's not covered as they were July dodgy on the 02/03 models.

And tailgate/boot leak they said its the sealant by the brackets and said they could redo it for 250 or I can do it. I think I'lll be doing it.

So when summer comes or a good week with no wet weather I'll strip the back off and attempt to fix it.

As it was raining g this morning g no got a shot of the beading from the HD poxy and it's pretty bloody awesome stuff. Water just fly's off.

More to come.

Ryan

#23 ·
Now just browsing the Honda spares website and I cam across the sensor I am after but I need some clarification.

I have attached this picture below with part numbers and prices.

Now sensor is about 50 pounds which is ok. I have already looked into other Hondas and found both older civics and younger ones have the same part number sensor. I've been on fleebay and found some sensors but I think I should buy brand new.

Now back to what I wanted to ask. Item six is a tube. What on earth does that do? And would that be apart of the sensor that I require looking at the picture. If so I might see if I can clean that pipe if I can access it and it may make The sensor work?

The weather has been pants and there seems to be more water in the boot now which is a bugger.

May have to do something sooner about that.

Ryan

#24 ·
Did abit of minor surgery to the car in the hope to fix this water leak.

So out came the clear silicone sealant (RTV) and the IPA.

Gave the areas a clean and here are the cracks in the manufacturer sealant which could be causing point entry for water to get in.

Looks quite bad. But water is coming bin both sides.

Then made some neatish beads of sealant in the attempt to push/guide the water else where.

The good thing about clear RTV is that unless your looking for it you won't see its been applied. Also saves me making a mess with paint.

So this is applied. The right hand side was harder as the electric cables were in the way.

So applied.

So now we wait for rain. As it's RTV it doesn't take too long to go off. So within 24hrs it will be cured. I managed to force the sealant into the cracks so I'm hoping that will at least will help drive the water away.

If not then the next step bus tail lights out and that means rear bumper off to remove them!

More to come
Ryan

#27 ·
So heavy rain due over night so I went out to looking the wheel well of the car and found 1/4 inch of water in there! So I have moped that all out I think that water has been sitting there a while as it looked dirty. So moped out and ready for leak checking tomorrow.

I hoping for a dry boot. If not the. I'll have a scratch and rethink my strategy.

Ryan

#28 ·
So heavy rain due over night so I went out to looking the wheel well of the car and found 1/4 inch of water in there! So I have moped that all out I think that water has been sitting there a while as it looked dirty. So moped out and ready for leak checking tomorrow.

I hoping for a dry boot. If not the. I'll have a scratch and rethink my strategy.

Ryan
Suddenly £250 to make sure it's fixed doesn't seem too bad?

#31 ·
I've just got the pram out of the boot and I lifted up the boot cover and found next to no water. There was a very small amount but I'm not sure if that was just residue from me half moping out the boot well. So far so good. It did hammer it down with rain through out the night. The car won't be used for a couple of days now so any water in the body work will work its way down into the well if any. I really don't want to take the lights out as its a pain although can be done without taking the bumper off.

I'll keep any eye on the car and see how it pans out. But if I can fix this myself at the cost of next to nothing I will be saving money :)

Ryan

#33 ·
Well we had more rain last night and it was heavy. So this morning I went out to the car and......

No water!!!

There was a tiny amount but I think it must of been trapped water in the bodywork left to find its way. There wasn't any water staining on the plastics on either side of the boot.

So I think I have done a good job for now. Time will tell but I have used this silicone stuff tons of times with no ill effects (aircraft based) it's just a pain in the backside to remove. But mek does seem to remove silicone residue pretty well a long with paint.

Next I think will be a deeper clean and start on my ever lasting list of stuff to do.

Ryan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.