Detailing World Forum banner

Bonelorry's Lemon Yellow Daily

21K views 49 replies 23 participants last post by  bonelorry 
#1 ·
Thought I would share my latest purchase with you all, As mentioned in my Golf R thread, I decided that I wanted to have a break from expensive cars and that I was going to sell it. The Golf sold on Saturday morning but I had already managed to find a suitable daily driver.

After looking relentlessly for about a Month on Autotrader, Pistonheads, Ebay, Gumtree and a few owners clubs I managed to find a lovely little Skoda Fabia VRS TDI on the Briskoda Owners Club, It is a 2 owner from new car which has covered just 68K Miles and has been very well looked after by its previous owners and ticked all the right boxes in terms of what I am after.

Sneaky Pic...

Just a teaser shot for now, The car is currently in Winter Mode on its Steelies and is not going to be used over the next Week until the Golf has gone hopefully next Weekend. I will post some proper pictures of the car once it has had its first Detail.

6/3/17...

On early shifts this Week, The Sun was shining and I had a decent finish time this afternoon so decided to make a start on the Fabia.

When I first buy a car and carry out its first Wash/Detail in my ownership I like to spend additional time on area's that you do not always see such as all the Door Shuts, Wheel Arches and Engine bay. As well as doing a Basic wash and prepping the Paint for Polishing/Waxing.

Made some decent progress today and did what I call a basic enhancement Detail, I will be giving the Fabia a Machine Polish at some point soon but for now...

: Thorough Rinse, All Door Shuts, Boot Shut, Fuel Filler Cap and Bonnet Shuts. Using APC to High Concentrate and Detailing Brush
: Full Exterior Wash, 2 Bucket Method, Megs Shampoo & Lambswool Mitt
: Wheels cleaned using Bilberry
: Trolley Jack used, Jacked up a corner at a time and All x Four Wheel Arches Deep Cleaned
: Underneath of Sills Scrubbed using soft bristle brush and APC to High Concentrate
: Paint Clayed
: Paint De-Tarred
: Towel Dried
: Hand Polished using Autoglym SRP, Removed with Microfibre
: 1 x Layer of Collinites no:845 Wax Applied using Soft Applicator, Removed with Microfibre
: Glass Cleaned inside and out using Autoglym Fast Glass
: Wheel Arches dressed using Aerospace 303

: Engine bay de-greased, Turrets cleaned, Engine Cover removed and cleaned, Engine bay dressed using Aerospace 303

Couple of pics from todays efforts...

Not much came off the paint when I clayed it however I always use a separate piece on the lower half of the car below the door mouldings and this is what came off...

The Rear doors had some soft plastic adhesive door edge protectors fitted which just had to be removed, This is what I was left with...

All left over Glue residue taken car of using Autoglym Tar Remover, Then the areas where Hand Polished. You would never even know they where ever fitted now...

Wheel Arches deep cleaned and dressed...

Engine Bay post Detail...

Mint seats, Been covered for the past 8 Years...

See less See more
#2 ·
Cont...

End Result, It does need a Machine Polish and some minor Paint Correction to really get it looking its best but I am happy with how the car is now looking after a simple Hand Polish/Wax application. For a Solid Colour it has quite a bit of depth...

Lastly, Here are the 16" VRS Alloys which are currently finished in White with Carbon effect Centre Caps, Although they are in good condition sadly I am not a big fan of White Alloys and want to keep with the OEM theme so I am dropping them off tomorrow afternoon for Refurbishing. They will be getting Powdercoated Hi-Power Metallic Silver, I am still undecided on whether or not to order a set of new OEM Centre Caps too...

#3 ·
7/3/16...

Well I dropped the Alloys off this afternoon for refurbishing, I also ordered a set of Black 17mm Wheel Nut Covers the same type as what I have on the Golf R and a set of 4 brand new Genuine Centre Caps. Looking like the back end of next Week when the Alloys will be finished, I went for an OEM Silver finish.

Nothing else too exciting but I had another couple of hours on the car this afternoon, Did a few small jobs such as remove all the Window Stickers and old Tax Disc Holder. There was an old Service sticker on the Drivers Door Shut/B Pillar which had been peeled off and left behind was the old glue residue so i removed that and Polished all the Door Sills.

The Fabia Badge on the Tailgate had seen better days and there was a build up of grime surrounding the letters which looked a mess and would be impossible to remove with the badge in place, Decided to remove the badge and the left over glue and sponge was removed using a Caramel Wheel and then I using the D/A with Megs 105 and an Orange Hex pad to finally clean the whole area.

I might actually leave it De-Badged, Quite like the look with just the VRS badge.

#6 · (Edited)
I bought one of these in the same colour about 8 years ago. It was a great car for my 500 mile weekly commute. Comfortable and just enough power to overtake when needed.

I also removed the Fabia badge.

I had issues with the rear doors skins letting water into the car. It was an easy fix but keep an eye on the carpets in the back for any dampness.

#7 ·
I bought one of these in the same colour about 8 years ago. It was a great car for my 500 mile weekly commute. Comfortable and just enough power to overtake when needed.

I also removed the Fabia badge.

I had issues with the rear doors skins letting water into the car. It was an easy fix but keep an eye on the carpets in the back for any dampness.
Thanks for that!

This is actually my 3rd Fabia VRS so I am fully aware of the common Door Seal issue, I did the "Fix" on both my previous cars and thankfully the Previous owner has done all 4 Door Seals on this one.

I actually checked the carpets when i viewed the car and the Door Card bottoms and all good.

Cheers

#13 ·
17/3/17...

Well it is 2 Weeks tomorrow since I bought the Fabia and this past Week has been a mega busy one! It is laughable that I buy myself a daily driver to have a break from putting so much time and effort into cars and then end up giving the Fabia exactly the same treatment as the Golf R got...Well in my defence it warrants it and after this Weeks efforts it is now a totally different car to when I bought it just a few Weeks ago.

Hopefully now it will be much easier to keep on top of it now all the hard work has been done.

So what have I been up to?

Monday... as you know the car got a set of New Number Plates fitted, The Rear Plate Surround was discarded and I fitted a new Pair of Bosch Wipers.

Tuesday... I ordered a few items online for the car including a new VRS Key Ring, A pair of Heavy Duty Waterproof Seat Covers for the Fronts and removed the Black newer style Grille and Tailgate Badges.

Wednesday... Previously I had given the car it First Detail in my ownership and prepped the Paintwork ready for Machine Polishing, So the car was treated to about 8 Hours and a 2 Stage Machine Polish/Paint Correction using the DAS-6 Pro and Meguiars 105/205 Combo with Hexlogic Orange and White Pads. Finally given 2 x Coats of Collinites 850 Wax.

Friday... Put another 6 Hours into the Fabia today, First thing this Morning I Collected the Alloys as I have had them Professionally refurbished. As mentioned earlier in the thread the Alloys where Powdercoated White and although there was nothing wrong with them I wanted them OEM Silver, I decided to use a company called AP Tyres based in Rotherham for the Alloy Refurbishment who when I was a Manager in the Motor Trade used to supply them with Tyres and they always said they would look after me if I ever wanted anything. I am more than happy with the Service, Turnaround and most importantly the Finish on the Alloys.

Once home I did the following...

: Fitted a Brand new pair of Genuine Skoda Badges on the Front Grille and Tailgate P/N: 1U0853621CMEL
: Fitted the new pair of Front Seat Covers
: Applied 2 x Coats of Collinites 845 Wax on the Alloys, Left to cure for 30 Mins after each application
: Fitted a Brand new Set of 4 Genuine Centre Caps P/N: 6U0601151LMHB

: De-Greased, Prepped and Painted the Brake Calipers. I had a 500ml tin of Paint made up for my previous Fabia VRS in Pantone 348C which is the proper VRS Brake Caliper Green Colour, The Paint is High Temperature and of a Semi Gloss finish so gives an OEM look.

: Fitted the Newly Refurbished OEM Silver Alloys with new Centre Caps, All Centre Caps lined up with the Tyre Valves, 20 x Brand New Gloss Black Wheel Nut Covers Fitted to finish off.

: Winter Steel Wheels and Tyres Deep Cleaned, Dried and stored away in the Garage ready for new Winter.

Couple of snaps from the past Weeks efforts...

Off with the Facelift style Badges...

DAS 6 Pro VS Fabia...

Newly Refurbished Alloy with New Centre Cap ready for fitting...

Pantone 348C...

New Badges...

Wheels on, Couple of Close ups on the Calipers, Happy with the Colour and the Finish...

Finished article, Sadly Rainy Weather spoiled any chances of getting any decent pictures in a better location. The car was promptly put back under the Car Port...

#20 ·
Thank you Paul,

Yes they are a good package for the money, I should never have sold my last one in 2015 which was a 1 Previous Owner Silver MK1 Fabia VRS. This is actually my 3rd one now but I intend to keep this one!

I am also hoping to purchase something as a Weekend toy/Second Car but undecided on what to go for as yet.

Hard work paying off bonelorry, looking very nice indeed and the Green calipers go well with yellow bodywork. :thumb:
Thank you! Yes it coming on well, The previous owner popped onto Briskoda yesterday and was gobsmacked to see how different the car is looking.

looking very good fella and love what you done
Cheers Bazz :thumb:

Enjoyable read OP.

Good find - sunroof and xenon's!

I think I'd paint the grille surround black and remove the VRS badge.

Fellow VRS fan here having had 5 (2xfabia, 3xoctavia)...bit of a bargain nowadays.

Enjoy.

cheers

Chris
Thank you Chris!

Sometimes I feel I waffle on when writing my threads but people seem to enjoy them so I carry on :)

Yes its a great Spec with Factory Zenons, Sunroof, Cruise and 6 CD Changer but to be honest all the above extras are just a bonus as I would have bought the car regardless just on its condition.

I hear what you are saying with regards to the Badges and the Grille, I want to keep it as OEM as possible but my compromise was removing the Fabia lettering from the Tailgate. Other than that it will probably stay as it is now.

#19 ·
Enjoyable read OP.

Good find - sunroof and xenon's!

I think I'd paint the grille surround black and remove the VRS badge.

Fellow VRS fan here having had 5 (2xfabia, 3xoctavia)...bit of a bargain nowadays.

Enjoy.

cheers

Chris

#23 ·
I'll be keeping mine forever too. I spent quite a bit on it last year to celebrate its 10th birthday including full quilted leather interior at seat surgeons and a milteck exhaust system. Why not a mk1 vrs for the weekend toy? I have a 53 plate with 28k miles running 250bhp and it's good fun!

#24 · (Edited)
Not into Diesel tuning, Never seen the point personally No Offence. It is an Economical Daily Driver and I intend to keep it that way. 250BHP isn't enough for me for a Weekend Toy, I need something that will scare me :lol:

Edit: I may consider a Stage 1 remap on the Fabia, With reference to my above comments I meant chasing numbers, Changing the Turbo, Intercooler, Exhaust, Injectors, Clutch etc. That seems pointless to me on a Diesel. Would rather have a Stage 1 Golf Edition 30 or the likes running 310BHP with no other upgrades.

#26 ·
Bonelorry it looks brilliant a real credit to you.
I drive past AP tyres whenever I'm in work as I live near with and work in Sheffield. If I see you about I'm in a laser blue Cooper s with white wheels and roof. I have always had a soft spot for them and considered one before the Cooper s 'toy' but had to get the mini as the wife wanted one but I got my way with it being a Cooper s not the Cooper.
Jon

#27 ·
26/3/17...

3 Weeks into ownership and 2 Weeks since the Golf R went, I am not missing the Golf at all or the performance which is a good thing as it stops me looking for a Second car/Weekend Toy to have some fun it....For now at least!

Not too much to report on the Fabia front, I am still off work taking some Holiday time so I have only done about 50 Miles over the past Week since fitting the Alloys.

As mentioned I have no immediate plans to purchase a Second car however I have been looking into getting a decent Garage/Man Cave Built on the back Garden, I already have a Garage but its 40 years old with a Leaky base and simply not big enough so is just used for storage at the moment. Had a couple of quotes and over the past Week and have chosen a Sheffield based company to do the work and have taken advantage of their 25% off Spring Offer, They are taking care of the whole job including removal and disposal of the old Garage, Extending the existing Concrete Base, Supply and Installation of a new Garage.

I have gone for a Pre-Fab Compton Type with Apex Roof, 12ft6" Wide and 22ft3" Long which should be more than adequate for storing a Second Car and allow for Detailing and Minor Mechanical work with a Bench inside.

So I am very much looking forward to that!

Back to the Fabia...The Sun has been shining all Weekend and so I gave the car its Weekly Detail. This was its first wash since I Machine Polished the Car and fitted the Refurbished Alloys last Week.

Very happy with how the car has come on in the past 3 Weeks since buying it, It is now up to a decent standard condition wise and is ready to take me to work and back everyday for the foreseeable future.

I don't really have too much planned for the car other than running it and keeping it clean, I do intend on giving it a Major Service at some point over the next 3-6 Months. Although it had a Minor Service done in Feb by the Main Dealer for piece of mind I will change all the Filters with Genuine Items and do another Oil and Filter Change using Quantum 5w40PD Oil. Possibly do a Brake Fluid Change too.

Couple of pics from todays efforts...

And a few more in a different location...

#28 ·
Can't say im a huge fan of the car or the colour, but i do like to see any car cared for and always enjoy and appreciate your level of work with your cars. I never knew all vrs were diesels ( your model anyway) or am i wrong? Never actually paying attention to vrs's, I used to think the vrs was skoda using vw's vr6 engine and branding it a vrs!

#30 ·
Yes they are not to everyone's taste the MK1 Fabia VRS nor is the Colour of this particular one!

As mentioned by a fellow member they are only available with the 130BHP PD Turbo Diesel Engine and for that reason it makes the perfect daily driver for me. Adequate performance, Excellent MPG, Reasonable Road Tax too.

Also not having much money tied up frees up funds for my new Garage and a Second car.

#31 ·
^^ that will be good! Very envious of the workspace. I'm Lucky to have a large drive away from the main road, but no garage/workshop/ shelter to work. Often looked into a large pop up gazebo to whip over the car which can be taken down again. Will build a shed/workshop next year ( I'm a chippy) so that will go somewhere in storage of car equipment and tinkering. Annoys me being a car enthusiasts when seeing people with garages and 80% of people use them to store house crap and the car is on the road! Bugs me! I'd love one. Rant over.

#32 ·
I hear you on that one!

Sadly as mentioned my current garage leaks quite badly and is just too small, Its only got a 7ft door so a golf R is a tight squeeze with the Mirrors folded in!

I am lucky to have a decent block paved driveway including a Car Port which I have used over the past few Years to do any Detailing work, The Car Port is great but as its between our house and the Neighbours its like a wind tunnel and only protects you from 80% of the Rain. Ideally though for a Second Car I need a Garage and Workspace that is protected from Weather and has decent lighting so I bit the bullet and have opted for a New Garage.

#36 ·
12/4/17...

Well no real developments Fabia wise, Having gone back to Work on the 31st after my 2 Week Holiday I have simply been using the Fabia for what it was originally purchased for...Commuting and so far it has been fantastic. Brilliant little car that ticks all the right boxes, It gets me to work just as quickly as the Golf R did and I am more than happy leaving it parked up at Work without worrying.

Played the MPG Game on my way to work Yesterday morning and saw 70MPG over the 10 Mile Commute, Currently Averaging 54MPG overall since buying it so very happy.

I have been a busy bee with the New Garage/Man Cave, Currently £4500 lighter for the privilege and that was with 25% discount on the Garage but I am getting exactly what I wanted and it will be a good investment.

The old Pre-Fab was knocked down and removed Yesterday, Today the new 23ft x 13ft Concrete Base was laid which I am confident will be more than big enough to accommodate a Car and allow for Detailing and Light Mechanical work such as Servicing etc.

The New Garage gets delivered in 2 Weeks and will be installed on the same day which I am very much looking forward to, Then I have an Electrician coming to install Power and a Multitude of Strip Lights and Sockets.

Laughably although I am getting the Garage built I am struggling to think of a Car suitable to buy to put in it LOL, To the Drawing Board with that One!

Couple Of Snaps of progress so far...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.