Detailing World Forum banner

Volvo S60 D5 2002

32K views 62 replies 18 participants last post by  GrantB5 
#1 ·
Purchase Day

So as much as I wanted to get the golf up to a half decent standard, it was starting to eat money and it really wasn't practical enough. Even moving to a smaller pram recently (this is the reason I got the golf thinking it would be easy to fit in) it just didn't work for me. Plus with the baby seat in the back and the front passenger seat usually had to be moved forward, then it messed with my vision when the seat was occupied. Anyway the golf was sold after some Ebay timewasters.

Flicked through looking at a bunch of E46 & E39 BMW's, even some T30 X-Trails (I work in Nissan parts so this was a £££ saver, but none ticked the boxes really).

I was also looking at S60 and S80 even though an estate would have been more useful, the looks of the V70 just don't appeal to me.

Got in touch with a car trader, 2002 Volvo S60 D5 SE Automatic. 163 BHP full leathers etc etc. £995 Strictly no offers.

Advert photos :

There were a bunch more photos but I won't list them all. 124K, tonnes of paperwork which I will get too shortly. The deal was done and I purchased the car. My first Volvo.

Stuck some fuel in at a local Shell.

Now there are some issues which far as I am aware are common issues and I will get on to them pretty shar****.

Managed 54mpg round the M25 in the outside lane on the display which I have also read seems a bit optimistic but beats the thirsty 1.8T golf.

Now I didn't just buy a 124K car with issues for no reason. The car has had 2 cambelt changes, the most recent carried out at volvo after an oil leak in that area. There are a tonne of invoices for services, tyres, MOT's and repairs. Check out some of the paperwork below. It's had a full set of Bosch injectors, intercooler, steering rack work, hoses and bushes. Although looking at the most recent service invoice carried out in May, there's a piece of paper with some recommendations on and I feel the owner decided to think enough is enough and decided to move on. The MOT runs out end of June.

Gutted I never see that last sheet of paper until I got home and organised all the paperwork. At the end of the day its a sub £1000 car and I wasn't there to hustle. The car needs a O/S/F fog lamp and a N/S/R lamp lens. Oh and a pair of wipers!

I will get the car on the ramp tomorrow and see whats going on and knuckle down with the oil leak.

Any advice will be great as I am currently in no mans land apart from looking at a few PH posts and I have just signed up to Volvo Forums . ORG

Updates soon and mainly phone photos for a little while.

See less See more
#8 ·
Ha I am pleased with it especially with the price I paid. I will get the wheels off today hopefully and have a look! Check the suspension then too :thumb:

That didn't take you long:lol: I've had a few volvos all T5s great motors and as long as there well serviced will live forever :thumb:
I did consider a T5 but I miss diesel economy. My friend had a T5 C70 and it was very smooth and fast. It's been serviced alot, oil and air wise anyway. Gonna have a full service done myself. I can't seem to see anything mentioning pollen or fuel filter on the paperwork and from what I have read online, indys won't touch these filters.

That's a lovely big car chum. I really like volvos, although Id love a big v70 at some stage.

Keep the updates coming!!

Health to enjoy btw.

Cooks

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
I wanted an estate really but theres something about the v70 in this age that was a touch too mature for me :lol:

A huge amount of car for only £995!
It's had almost half of that spent on it this year alone. Perfect.

had a 2004 D5 SE almost from new and LOVED it - did a lot of long journeys and nothing beat it for comfortable cruising with all the toys :D Still miss it and shouldnt have sold it when I did, but thats life.

Hope it turns out to be a good 'un for you.
Thanks, all seems good so far, few small niggles to sort but that no biggie. I'm quite happy with the Dolby 13 speaker setup :D

I've also never been so comfortable on the M25 on the way home :car:

I like the idea of this! I've followed all of your threads and I always enjoy your updates so I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll do with this one.

I wouldn't worry too much about that list a fair few of them look very simple fixes, hopefully all of them turn out very simple.

Good luck with it buddy:thumb:
The only worrying bit is the oil leak but I have already spoken to the technicians at my work who are gonna look for me.

I have been informed on a Volvo forum that the oil leak could be related to a core plug between engine and gearbox and it quite often writes the car off. Not for me, the box will be coming out :driver:

Will have it on the ramp and start checking this lot out.

First thing I am ordering today though is some new wipers.

#7 ·
I like the idea of this! I've followed all of your threads and I always enjoy your updates so I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll do with this one.

I wouldn't worry too much about that list a fair few of them look very simple fixes, hopefully all of them turn out very simple.

Good luck with it buddy:thumb:

#11 ·
Nothing looks to difficult to access in the engine bay which is always a good sign, only time will tell.

Lovely jubbly, this is going to be an interesting one, don't think I've seen one of these Volvo motors on here before, good luck with this one mate.
Thanks, think theres quite a few floating around on Pistonheads where I post quite a bit too, it's where I first got an itch for one of these ha.

#12 ·
Update - 03/02/2017

One of the first noticeable issues was the perished front wipers.

Sourced some from work in the correct sizes.

Can't go without some screenwash also :idea:

Removed a few stickers and residue.

Another issue I came across today, noticed after realising the tailgate is not opening correctly. Will buy a pair of new struts for this at some point soon.

Shot of the Swedish sofas. Very comfortable.

Although I haven't serviced the car yet, the car smells a touch musty on the inside, so I went for a quick air con bomb that contains odor neutralisers, seems to have freshened up the inside slightly.

Finished of with some Chemical Guys stripper scent.

Also changed the current plates to ones with my works branding on. Not to fussed at this stage for plain ones.

I never got the car on the ramp today at work as soon as I had time to look at the car we had a workshop cleaner arrive to do the floors, hopefully can get some time tomorrow to bring it in and have a look around underneath and trace the oil leak.

Updates soon.

#16 ·
Thanks, one thing I am looking in to is a new battery, I have noticed from that paperwork it doesn't seem to have been changed.

What battery type / AH would you recommend? It can take a little while to start, nothing alarming but I think it could do with a kick. What about glow plugs on these?

Lot of car fir the money :thumb:
Those seats look to be a nice place to park your ass :argie:
It is in fact 2 tonnes for my money ha. The dolby speaker upgrade is nice!

I like these so keep up the good work, will be following with interest! :)
Thanks

#17 ·
Probably looking at 95Ah / 100Ah dependent upon brand - Bosch Silver S4 has 4yr warranty, Halfords Calcium ones used to be 5years - either way its not a cheap battery. Your choice might be influenced by how long you want to keep the car and the cost of a battery with that length warranty.

#25 ·
I can source 95ah/100ah batteries at work. Look at around £140 (being cost price for me) for the 100ah

Looking better already, that interior looks so good, I just don't get why the German interiors get so much praise, people should look at Volvo interiors more.
I've pretty much always drove German cars but I am feeling fond of the Swede and it's interior.

Nice reliable cars these, I had an almost identical one to yours albeit in manual. Mine was a second car I just used for work. Mine had 150000 miles on the clock and I paid £900 for it, I took the mileage to 169000 miles in 11 months before its core plug failed and gave me a MAJOR oil leak. I just scrapped it which I did feel abit bad about but I had a few other issues (play in steering rack for the whole 19000 miles, alarm siren battery was toast, would go into limp mode sometimes when booted) but it had served its purpose.

Good luck with yours!
Mines had steering rack work done already carried out at volvo.

Still need to get the car on the ramp and look for some oil leak signs, the work will be carried out either way.

I also get the alarm battery service message or whatever it is :lol:

Do a battery test. But it will most probably be the fuel filter causing the problem. Had a lot have poor starting issues and it's normally the fuel filter or a injector causing the problem.
Yours will be the metal canister fuel filter which is next to the drivers side rear wheel.
Injectors have all been replaced for Bosch ones a while ago, so I would hope its not that. Fuel filter will be changed before the battery, just trying to get some prices in my head.

Those seats are beautiful. Good purchase look forward to reading more.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thanks.

#20 ·
Nice reliable cars these, I had an almost identical one to yours albeit in manual. Mine was a second car I just used for work. Mine had 150000 miles on the clock and I paid £900 for it, I took the mileage to 169000 miles in 11 months before its core plug failed and gave me a MAJOR oil leak. I just scrapped it which I did feel abit bad about but I had a few other issues (play in steering rack for the whole 19000 miles, alarm siren battery was toast, would go into limp mode sometimes when booted) but it had served its purpose.

Good luck with yours!

#22 ·
Do a battery test. But it will most probably be the fuel filter causing the problem. Had a lot have poor starting issues and it's normally the fuel filter or a injector causing the problem.
Yours will be the metal canister fuel filter which is next to the drivers side rear wheel.

G
#26 · (Edited)
Bosch S4 100Ah battery...Eurocarparts £138.70.Similar to your trade discount.
Fuel filter...Mann..£16.02 or £14.63..depending on type,screw on/cartridge

Yuasa Black 95Ah battery..lifetime guarantee..£132 Halfords trade
Yuasa Black Lifetime Guarantee Battery 019 Extra Info
Starting Power (CCA): 900 Amps
AH Value: 95Ah
Bench Charge: 6 Amps
Average Weight: 23.8kg
Dimensions (LxDxH): 353x175x190mm
Guarantee: Lifetime to the vehicle fitted

G
#28 ·
If there isnt a considerable difference in price,I would agree and go with OE parts.But...Volvo or most other manufacturers dont make their own filters,bought in from whoever.Companies like Mann,Bosch,Mahle etc dont make rubbish,the only one I would avoid is Crosland.Crosland as a company have not existed for years..the name only was bought buy ECP,who actually makes them for ECP?...thats the concern.
http://www.catmag.co.uk/sogefi-distances-itself-from-filter-brand-sold-to-ecp
Who makes the filters sold by Nissan?

#31 ·
Update - 08/05/2017

Got the car on the ramp at the work and had a quick look around.

Few things I have seen..

I need 2 tyres for starters & tracking.

I also need 2 lower arms.

Going to replace the front disc and pads urgently too.

While having a check on the car, the oil level was seen to and to my disappointment, it was above the max level.

So I drained the oil and refilled with some 5w30. Unfortunately this was last minute lase on a Saturday afternoon so the filter wasn't changed but that will be done this week, hopefully tomorrow. I just didn't want to risk driving it with too much oil any longer.

Also scanned the car on a SnapOn unit

0004 - Siren Communication Fault

6A02 - Rear Right Door Unlocked, Signal Too High.
6A01 - Rear Left Door Unlocked, Signal Too High.
00D4 - SRS Indicator Lamp. Faulty Function

Any Volvo gurus please feel free to help out.

Also it appears the oil leak is coming from a turbo pipe, this will be looked in to further once we have cleaned up and check further where it's coming from.

#32 ·
Not much to post on, I have just bought 2 new tyres, turns out the fronts were 225/45/17 and the rears were 225/50/17.

So in turn I really need 3 tyres but I have replaced the 2 fronts for matching 225/50/17 but I am getting a bit of scrubbing up front now.

Went for Hankook Ventus S1 evo2.

Got them at trade price rather than retail so always a bonus. Not sure what to do about the scrubbing, may stick them on the rear and just stick some 45 on the front again when I replace the next 2 and just leave it as that. The wheels need a refurb also.

Car is performing as it should done around 80 miles in it yesterday.

Will get around to doing a service soon, then looking at brakes and lower arms.

G
#33 ·
Something not right with the tyres...type your reg number at Blackcircles etc,states 225/45/17 front and rear.
Find staggered tyres on M3,s etc but not same width different aspect ratio.
From Volvo owners...
S60D,
"The Volvo recommended tyre sizes are recorded in your drivers handbook, (page 123 in mine,) and inside the fuel filler cover. According to my handbook, (for a 53 model,) the only 17" tyre size recommended for diesel engined models is 225/45/R17."

#34 ·
Yeah I figured, but I assumed when people were putting 18's on with 40/45 profile it would be okay considering they were on the rears already so thought nothing of it.

Live and learn.

I will get some 45 for the front and leave these on the back for now and suck it up. Costs just over £180 incl and fitted them at work so I am going to get the use out of them. I should have double checked really.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.