Detailing World Forum banner

Renault Clio DCI

18K views 42 replies 13 participants last post by  Arwel 
#1 ·
Thought I would start a new thread on the latest little project. Long story short is me and the misses decided to combine cars and buy something nice. We recently ordered a Q5 S line to replace her Fiesta ST and my Passat. The Passat went back in March and since then I've been in a loaner Golf tdi which you would think would be economical but isnt. So I was in need of a cheap car to get me back and forth to work so was I looking at a max budget of £1500, had to be under 10 year old and be diesel and £30 a tax.

After a few near purchases with Fiestas', Corsas', Puntos' and a few other little cars I took the plunge on an accident damaged Clio. The car was sourced at a good price and the initial repair cost didn't seem to bad. So I ended up with an 09 Clio 1.5 DCI, 87k on the clock and mechanically she is spot on.

So the hunt was on for a bumper, wing, bonnet, headlight and 4 seatbelts due to the pre tensioners going off and locking them. A search on ebay turned up this

A complete car with an injector fault was bought for £300, Im never one to stumble across a bargain but for once I was lucky. So panels are in the process of being switched over trial fitting and then they'll be off for paint.

The car has been sat in a yard for some time so is filthy but im looking forward to getting my hands on it properly and bringing it upto an acceptable standard. Im also planning a few little tweaks here and there with it all which will happen in time.

See less See more
#37 ·
The headlight bulb change didn't go to plan over the weekend. Removed the bumper to be able to get the headlight out to get to the bulbs. popped the cover off to find the bulbs in the car are H1 and not H7 like I had ordered according to the autobulb website. Then realized that the headlights in the car are the ones from the doner car which have projectors so are a different fit to what the car had originally. School boy error on my part so will order some correct ones and try again.

#39 ·
I dont know if there off a higher spec model, I had a 2006 Courtesy Clio and it had a similar style headlight to this and it had the bulbs which illuminate as you drive round corners.

Mine was a 2008 '08' 1.2 TCE Dynamique and had the standard headlight which has just the reflective part behind the bulb, none of the projector stuff. This seemed more common on the later models (mine was a update model as they upped the alloys wheel size and added a few more toys in 2008 as standard such as Rain/Light Sensor). I think '58' reg's onwards also had the Aux Cable which i missed out on.

Looks like this one could be the 'Dynamique S' model from having those wheels and if it has part leather

#42 ·
Managed to get the lights sorted over the weekend. Sourced some H1 HIDs for the dipped which have made a massive difference, I can now actually see where I'm going. The H7 LED bulbs I bought have now gone in as main beam. The light up the road really well but don't have a great throw distance wise but with the HID kit in place they aren't really needed. Only drove it home Saturday evening and nobody flashed me so they seem to be fine brightness wise.
The other alteration I did was to turn the cornering lights into DRL since this car doesn't have the cornering light function. Will get some pics up in the next few days once its had a clean as its stinking at the moment as I've used it to get about on a couple of rallies the last few weeks.

#43 ·
I've still not got round to updating this thread with photos haha. Its coming upto a year now since we saved the clio from the scar yard, its done a little over 10k miles in that year and I've got to say, it has grown on me massively. Its brilliant on fuel and has not put a foot wrong in that year. Its had a service a few months ago and will have a new wheel bearing and some new brakes before the MOT in June.
I am toying with the idea of removing the rear seats and fitting a flat floor to make it a van/car as I tend to carry spares for the rally car from one place to another and having a level, flat surface may be easier and the rear seats never get used anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.