Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 22-04-2018, 08:36 PM   #1
restricted
Washmitt Meister

Audi S5 full fat variant

been a silent member for what seems like forever and always look in for advice but never posted...

I thought it'd be rude to not. A bit of background, always been a car and bike nut (I'll be buried with my Fireblade).... since I was knee high to grasshopper standing in the forests with my best mate and his Dad watching the legendary Group B weapons, I was hooked on all things Audi had most of the fun ones over the years...
ur quattro
numerous S2's (loved them)
a couple of original Audi V8's (type 44 chassis')
many many normal run of the mill types
RS6 (V8)
TT 225 (was fun but I didn't fit in it and the other half didn't want it as her daily as couldn't fit the weekly shopping in the boot) so that got changed for an A3 2.0tdi

and in more recent years a very nice original Gen1 S8, as work meant that my miles were going up and the '8 needing a new steering rack that got traded in for a very nice 2008 A5 3.0tdi... had that for about 3 years but....

I always loved the Audi V8 and the V6 in the '5 had 2 issues

It was a diesel and it was missing 2 cylinders

But I love the shape of the A5 and it works well as a family car, the other half loved it and the younger petrol head in the family (he's 10 and knows it all... lol), so what should I do.....?

yup, sod the fuel economy and get another V8

badge of honour

She's a 2007, so an early S5 with manual and the light grey leather... only 73,000 miles and loads of major issues already done (DMFW and clutch 2k miles ago).

Had the seats out yesterday to give the interior a thorough clean yesterday

bolsters need a bit more work, I may end up having them professionally redone. I used Dr Leather's wipes as I had used them previously with good effect.

Steering wheel is now thankfully not shiny....

Paintwork is largely original, there's a local repair on the front bumper which isn't the best so the bumper will be redone at some point soon.
Yesterday she had a good wash and a clay bar, the sides weren't too bad, few tar spots but OMG the roof made the clay black....
Time only allowed a very quick polish... but she needs some serious swirls removing and whilst I have a few bits and pieces I never really get the results I want... I need a master class... Anyone in the Worcester massive want to show a clueless ****wit what to do? lol

More to come....
restricted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to restricted For This Useful Post:
cleancar (28-04-2018), MDC250 (22-04-2018), SBM (30-04-2018), shabba (30-05-2018), tmitch45 (22-04-2018)
Old 22-04-2018, 09:02 PM   #2
MDC250
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,441 Times in 2,681 Posts
Very nice, big relief the big jobs have been done meaning you will hopefully get to enjoy problem free motoring
MDC250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 09:05 PM   #3
restricted
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC250 View Post
Very nice, big relief the big jobs have been done meaning you will hopefully get to enjoy problem free motoring
There's always something though, i need to replace all the front suspension arms to cure a 70mph vibration under acceleration... parts will be ordered this week
Old 22-04-2018, 09:35 PM   #4
restricted
Washmitt Meister

and then the wheels have had a dealer refurb, so only the fronts have been done, so the inner barrels are ****....
Shame as i had the dealer put new Goodyears on as part of the deal.... i have a good local guy, so i'll get them done, i fancy a slightly darker colour... I'm looking for a dark silver, but not as dark as anthracite....

Then i want to black chrome all the trim (but not mirrors)
Old 28-04-2018, 05:02 PM   #5
restricted
Washmitt Meister

So last weeks simple job of checking the spark plugs resulted in finding out some previous numpty has strained the loom which meant that the furthest plug on that loom was only just making contact and this happened.

which during the week through a P2008 fault code.
New loom repair kit ordered and new connector plug and loom all fixed

All fixed and now working properly, the wire ends were only just making contact and had been not working correctly, she now feels back to full health... I love cheap fixes.

Now onto something more DW related, over the years I've purchased a variety of stuff but never really got the results i wanted, well apart from on my RS6 and my last S2 but they were done old school, labouriously by hand a panel a night indoors....
I don't have indoors available anymore, so outside in decent weather on my drive (the bike lives in the pathetic excuse us Brit's call a garage.....!!!I have a variable speed machine

which was a god send after i'd painted the bike, the small Autogeek pads i bought worked well with the 105 and 205

the larger diameter pads are 3M btw

I always wash the car with the normal 2BM, with a decent wash mitt, using Meguiars Gold,
I dry with a microfibre and claybar probably one every couple of months... but that's when I start to get annoyed that i'm not getting rid of the swirls on the Audi's paint...
What pad, with what product?
Should I use the paint cleanser straight after claying (once rewashed and dried again)...
I've watched YouTube guides till i'm blue in the face...

Any tips or guidance greatly appreciated...!!!
Old 28-04-2018, 05:02 PM   #6
restricted
Washmitt Meister

Just to add if i have the wrong stuff, what do i need to go with what product???
Old 28-04-2018, 05:34 PM   #7
matty.13
PC Perfectionist

Audi S5 full fat variant

Most of what you have is fine .
The pads look like that have seen better days tho. The meguiars combo you have will work fine on Audi paint .
I use scholl pads so I use white or purple pads with an aggressive compound and then orange pad with a finishing polish.
Iím not saying you need to buy scholl pads Iím just unsure what colours mean what with the pads you have.
If you are not getting the results you want , itís probley down to time . Audi paint is generally hard to correct . My bmw took 4 whole day sessions to get it swirl free.
You donít need to clay every month just before you polish . Use m105 with the stiffest/hardest pad you have then m205 with the softest.
When your happy with the paint use your r222 cleanser fluid after you have polished and then your hd wax, you should achieve a good finish . Take your time Rome wasnít built in a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by matty.13; 28-04-2018 at 05:38 PM.
matty.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 05:52 PM   #8
restricted
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty.13 View Post
Most of what you have is fine .
The pads look like that have seen better days tho.
agreed, they are old and were used to death when i did the bike, trouble is, i can't remember which pad is which, so am reluctant to use for fear of inflicting damage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty.13
I use scholl pads so I use white or purple pads with an aggressive compound and then orange pad with a finishing polish.
I'm looking for actual recommendations rather than just reading sales blurbs to be honest so if you've had good results then i'll try... without sounding daft but what sort of size?

Quote:
If you are not getting the results you want , itís probley down to time . Audi paint is generally hard to correct . My bmw took 4 whole day sessions to get it swirl free.
I'm not fussed on time and am happy to do a panel a day if needs be... especially as the nights/weather is getting better.

Quote:
You donít need to clay every month just before you polish.
i probably didn't word it well but i don't clay every wash, probably every 6 months or if the paint feels rough

Quote:
Use m105 with the stiffest/hardest pad you have then m205 with the softest.
When your happy with the paint use your r222 cleanser fluid after you have polished and then your hd wax, you should achieve a good finish . Take your time Rome wasnít built in a day.
thank you for taking the time to reply, it is appreciated
Old 28-04-2018, 06:49 PM   #9
matty.13
PC Perfectionist

Audi S5 full fat variant

Sales blurbs? I donít sell pads for a living , as I said I use scholl pads . You can take that as recommendation if you want . Size depends on backing plate size , normally 5.5 inch is a good place to start
Good luck with the car

Last edited by matty.13; 28-04-2018 at 06:52 PM.
matty.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 08:12 PM   #10
restricted
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty.13 View Post
Sales blurbs? I donít sell pads for a living , as I said I use scholl pads . You can take that as recommendation if you want . Size depends on backing plate size , normally 5.5 inch is a good place to start
Good luck with the car

Lol, no i didn't mean you hahaha... I meant sales as in reading websites saying their stuff is the best...

Someone's personal recommendation is far better, which i appreciated
The Following User Says Thank You to restricted For This Useful Post:
matty.13 (28-04-2018)