Detailing World Forum banner

Suzuki Alto 1982

6K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  acprc 
#1 ·
Some info about this Alto:
It is the first model that was introduced in Europe,
for the European market they put in another engine with a whooping 800cc (instead of the original 550cc in the SS40).
The one I have is a SS80G Automatic, color Iceland Metallic Blue.
At the moment I'm working on restoring her to her original beauty, that is to get her back to how she rolled out of the showroom in 1982.
As I don't have the space and all the equipment, some things will have to be outsourced such as welding.
First up is a full body inspection to identify the areas that need to be welded due to rust.
To get a good look at the condition of the paintwork and the body a full clean was needed.

Under the hood,air filter housing and cam head cover will be repainted:

Originally this was blue instead of black:

Weapons of choice:

Weapons of choice,part 2:

First time with the foamgun so some playing around with Bilthamber snowfoam :

Unidentified life form?

Washed and dried, it seems not that bad:

Problem areas:

Passenger side rear, a combination of paint and filler.
Some previous owner tried to repair a dent, I guess.
My clay and polishing pads became blue.

Same side, rear panel, free wrinkle lacquer,

Close up

Clear coat failure on the driver side door

Close up

Rust protection stuff, this will be replaced with a transparent one:

Some blue is getting visible underneath the hood.:

Exhaust has been replaced as some various bits and pieces due to wear and tear (such as wheel bearings).
The engine is still running smoothly that will only need the regular servicing.
I have found some rust on the underbody but nothing shocking, so I will contact a welder to inspect the car and get a quote.

In the mean time I will continue with the engine bay and the wheels.
One wheel was spray painted silver but that color doesn't seem right.
So any idea's to get steel wheels as good as new are welcome :thumb:

See less See more
#2 ·
nice little project you have yourself here although itlooks ike you are going to have your work cut out on the paint front!

I hope you dont mind but i have a question.

What are the things by thewheels for? I have seen them many a time and always woundered but necer had the oppertunity to ask!

What are the plans next with the paint?

#11 ·
nice little project you have yourself here although itlooks ike you are going to have your work cut out on the paint front!

I hope you dont mind but i have a question.

What are the things by thewheels for? I have seen them many a time and always woundered but necer had the oppertunity to ask!

What are the plans next with the paint?
They look like the things to stop your hose getting caught under the wheels to me.

#6 ·
Subscribed. That's in really good nick for a 27 year old shopping car.

I love how you're keeping it standard too but I couldn't help thinking if you'd be tempted to consider some tasteful mods? Period style and easily reversible of course. I'm thinking a 1" - 2" drop and some deep dish wheels, maybe banded steels from a similar age Jap car. Would look awesome.

#8 ·
I have been way too busy for any real updates :eek:
But I did manage to get some extra parts as brake drums and callipers.
These will be derusted and revised, I will post pics when I start on them.
Also manged to get the original optional alloys, so the steel wheels will be replaced! Pics to come later.

#10 ·
I had a 1985 Suzuki Alto for a couple of years. It was a car that had been in my family from new. Hilarious little car that you could squeeze four people into and still wheeze up to 60mph! Sounded great with the little 3 cylinder engine trying it's best to do an impression of a Porsche flat 6 up front! Sold it to a friend and his kids used it to learn to drive in. I think that rust and old age eventually got the better of it, but loads of fond memories remain. Great car! :)

Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.