Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 22-05-2018, 04:15 AM   #1
Sheep
Orbital Oracle

Send a message via MSN to Sheep
AIO Test - Battle of the Pros vs Joes!

Greetings everyone!

It's been a long time since I've had anything meaningful to post on this website, but that's all about to change. I've recently sold my condo and purchased a townhouse, which means a 2 car garage and my own driveway for detailing and all around fiddlery. Today marks my return to regular detailing and overall product testing, with a test between 4 AIO cleaning polishes that all proclaim to have cutting, filling, and protective properties. The title Pros vs Joes comes from the brands involved, 2 which are sold in retail stores/online retailers, and 2 which are only available through a trade rep. I happen to have access to this trade brand through my work, and our detailer has lots of random and interesting bottles of products laying around ripe for the testing!

This test will be a little different, as i'm going to reveal the players, and the game, but not the lines between them. I want you to see the results, and the products, but not who did what. It'll be fun, and interesting, and you'll grow as a human being as you learn to drop those brand and price walls out of your mind. Or you'll just be annoyed at me like usual.

The products in question all offer the same results on the label, but will they offer it in the real world? Lets meet them!

Contestant one, from the pros team, Carbrite Crystal Shield!

DSC_3753 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

From the label: Crystal Shield is a midly aggressive, extremely durable lotion polish that removes light scratches, oxidation and swirl marks, leaves a deep durable gloss and contains silicone.

Contestant two, from the joes team, Autoglym Super Resin Polish.

DSC_3752 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

From their website: The famous bottle can be found in garages all over the world, and has been lovingly applied on everything from hyper cars and priceless classics to family cars. It will not only restore gloss to dull surfaces, but is also ideal for removing small scuffs and scratches on new or old paintwork.

Contestant three, from the pros team, Carbrite Final Finish!

DSC_3754 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

From the label: Finial Finish is a VOC compliant wax that restores the luster of painted surfaces by removing light surface imperfections while applying a wax to protect against contaminants and harmful UV rays.

Contestant four, from the joes team, Auto Finesse Tripple!

DSC_3751 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

From their website: Tripple is the perfect all-in-one cleaner polish. Enriched with pure Brazilian No:1 Carnauba wax, its easy application will deep clean paintwork and add a protective layer of carnauba wax in one simple step, making it the ultimate product for the speedy detailer. Tripple removes stubborn oxidation and contamination using deep cleansing solvents, whilst gently refining paintís surface to a high-gloss finish with fast-acting fine diminishing abrasives. It also leaves behind ultra-slick film formers to help obscure and glaze minor defects, whilst laying down T1 Grade Carnauba Wax to protect and lock in shine. Auto Finesse Tripple all in one polish can be used on its own or as the base for Tough Coat or any of our Carnauba waxes.

With the introductions over with... lets get on with the test. This test is going to be pretty... light. As in, my tail lights. I initially started this test using my hood, but due to the colour and overall light amount of defects present on my car, the results were nearly impossible to see or photograph. Not giving up, I turned to my back end and was rewarded with unpleasantly swirled taillights. My tail lights are broken up into 4 sections, one on the trunk, one on the quarter panel. Each section had it's own product, as well as white polishing pad. Each product was applied with a LC white CCS pad using a porter cable 7424 DAP, and given 2 hits in a row before being left to cure. Because these are filling and correcting products, I decided to use 2 hits to ensure proper coverage and the best possible results.

Ok, lets get this going!

Section 1, inner passenger tail light before.
DSC_3768 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

After polishing, before wiping off.
DSC_3769 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Section 2, outer passenger tail light before.
DSC_3772 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_3776 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Section 3, inner driver tail light before.
DSC_3781 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_3784 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Section 4, outer driver tail light before.
DSC_3788 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_3789 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Ok, the following section of photos is after the wipe off.

Section 1
DSC_3792 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Section 2
DSC_3800 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Section 3
DSC_3803 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Section 4
DSC_3809 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Now, this is the water behavior present after application and removal.

Section 1
DSC_3815 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Section 2
DSC_3818 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Section 3
DSC_3820 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Section 4
DSC_3822 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

There you have it, 4 tail lights, 4 AIO/One step/whatever you want to call it products. Try guessing which section is which in the comments below, I'll reveal the section products later on next week.

Happy Detailing!
Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sheep For This Useful Post:
blurb (22-05-2018), Brian1612 (22-05-2018), Dunney (31-05-2018), roscopervis (23-05-2018), Yellow Dave (28-05-2018)
Old 22-05-2018, 07:34 AM   #2
AndyN01
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Erm....

They all pretty much look like they've done the same job.

It'll be very interesting to see which is which.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyN01 For This Useful Post:
Sheep (22-05-2018)
Old 22-05-2018, 07:47 AM   #3
Andyblue

Thanked 1,295 Times in 1,168 Posts
Well they all seem to have done the job and seem to be offering some sort of protection, not a clue which is which, but I think it's good to see from your little experiment, if you had any of the 4, you'd get acceptable results

Did you find any of them easier or more difficult to use ?

And as with Andy above, thanks for taking the time to do the test and posting...
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
Sheep (22-05-2018)
Old 22-05-2018, 10:13 AM   #4
Imprezaworks
Washmitt Meister

Srp clearly the winner

Maybe....
Imprezaworks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Imprezaworks For This Useful Post:
Sheep (22-05-2018)
Old 22-05-2018, 04:30 PM   #5
Sheep
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyblue View Post
Well they all seem to have done the job and seem to be offering some sort of protection, not a clue which is which, but I think it's good to see from your little experiment, if you had any of the 4, you'd get acceptable results

Did you find any of them easier or more difficult to use ?

And as with Andy above, thanks for taking the time to do the test and posting...
There is a difference in correction/filling between them, but itís hard to see without zooming in the photo. Final finish was extremely nice to apply and remove, same with tripple and SRP. Basically what iím Saying is crystal shield was the worst to apply and remove. Removal was actually quite bad and it wasnít over applied. Iím going to tape off my hood for a beading and protection test as the tail lights are not the best indicator of water behaviour (small, on vertical angle)
The Following User Says Thank You to Sheep For This Useful Post:
Andyblue (22-05-2018)
Old 22-05-2018, 04:52 PM   #6
Andyblue

Thanked 1,295 Times in 1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
There is a difference in correction/filling between them, but itís hard to see without zooming in the photo. Final finish was extremely nice to apply and remove, same with tripple and SRP. Basically what iím Saying is crystal shield was the worst to apply and remove. Removal was actually quite bad and it wasnít over applied. Iím going to tape off my hood for a beading and protection test as the tail lights are not the best indicator of water behaviour (small, on vertical angle)

Interesting

Be good to see what they behave like on the bonnet like you say - better on o horizontal surface for test
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
Sheep (22-05-2018)
Old 23-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #7
BarryAllen
Sponge Jockey

4 is SRP.
BarryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryAllen For This Useful Post:
Sheep (24-05-2018)
Old 28-05-2018, 02:54 AM   #8
Sheep
Orbital Oracle

So I wanted to tape off a test section on my hood and get some proper water shots for you guys, but I caught a cold on Friday and have been pretty much out of commission as far as physical activities goes.

For now I'll reveal which product applies to which section, and I'll update this thread with water behavior shots later on. The order in which I reveal is just the same as the previous post.

Section 1 - Final Finish
DSC_3768 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_3792 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Section 2 - Crystal Shield

DSC_3772 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_3800 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Section 3 - SRP

DSC_3781 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_3784 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Section 4 - Tripple

DSC_3788 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_3809 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

I will say right now, that all of these products did an admirable job, and my tail lights look much better. From what I've seen it appears crystal shield and SRP have the better filling/hiding/correcting performance, but it's really hard to tell with a tail light, I wish I had a darker colour car.

Anyway, stay tuned, I'll have a water behavior post up soon.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sheep For This Useful Post:
AndyN01 (30-05-2018), roscopervis (29-05-2018), Yellow Dave (28-05-2018)