Detailing World Forum banner

Mystery 'water spots'

7K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Itstony 
#1 ·
So I managed to find a break in the rain today, to give the car a quick wash and QD.

It's only 3 months old, and the paint work is still immaculate after it's delivery-detail.

I cleaned it as per my usual routine;

- sprayed with BiltHamber, using a pump sprayer
- left to dwell for 4 minutes, then snowfoam applied on top
- left to dwell for additional 4 minutes, then jet washed
- 2BM
- Jet washed again
- Patted down with 2 large plush MF's
- Finished off with Done and Dusted, using 2 MF's

When I had finished QD'ing it, I noticed the entire car is covered in what look like water spots. I've tried to photograph them, to no avail. The car was dried immediately after being rinsed down, and it's a very overcast/cool day here today.

I re-applied D&D to a couple of sections, but they're not shifting. I tried another QD, and still, nothing.

Nothing has changed in my routine, but I did have to use some old Autoglym shampoo, as my normal Meg's had ran out (the AG is probably about 3 years old).

Has anyone ever come across this before? What would be your recommendation to shifting them? I haven't got time now to have another look, but I'm assuming I'm going to have to get something stronger out (if a standard 2BM doesn't remove them next time).

Thanks,
Tom

See less See more
#4 ·
Definitely try FSE if you have hard to shift water spots. Also I'd change your routine and just use the hose to for the final rinse, preferably open-ended to sheet off the shampoo.

You could also try using your QD on the car whilst it's wet as a drying aid.

One final thing, there is no reason to use BH Autofoam via a pump spray and then as a foam on top, just stick with one way or the other. You're just wasting product.

#5 ·
I tend to use snowfoam on top of BH in warmer conditions, as the BH dries out too fast. As I've now run out of snowfoam, I'll try with just BH next week.

I do remove the high pressure attachment and just sheet water at the end of the wash. I'm starting to think whatever these things are (I'm only assuming they're water spots) occurred elsewhere. My routine has always yielded great results, so if I have caused it, it has to be something to do with the old AG shampoo.

I'll at least have a play with it tomorrow and see what's required to shift it. Ideally I don't want to strip my LSP, but if I'm finding only something like Karlack is removing it, I'll just have to strip her back in a few weeks, DA polish (any excuse!) and build the layers back up.

#6 ·
So my disappointment was compounded this evening, when I tried to get rid of these marks in a small area.

I started with them least abrasive products I had, working my way up.

I started with a cleaner-glaze, PB White Diamlnd. No success.
I tried both Carlack and Prima Amigo. Still absolutely no difference.
Then I moved on to white vineger.
Then I tried a couple of solvent-based bug removers.
Then I stepped up to Meg's 105 and 205 (albeit by hand). 105 did absolutely nothing, the 205 I THINK may have reduced it a tiny bit, but I may be mistaken.

Is it normal for them to be this stubborn, or should I be concerned? I'll order the product you mentioned, if we think it'll do the job.

I don't feel like I should have to get the DA out for this, but at the same time is the most stubborn problem I've ever ran in to!

Once again, tried to take photos. iPhone just isn't focusing on them. I'll grab my SLR and send if I can do any better.

#9 ·
Yep, had tarX on there earlier. Since my last post, I used a medium clay bar, and tried again with distilled vinegar (leaving it for a full 10 minutes this time).

After everything I've tried, comparing the test section to the untested area next to it, it's definitely made a difference, but there's residual marks still.

Before heading down the machine route, I'm going to order a couple of products, as recommended on this site, but it's increasingly looking like I've had some serious bad luck. I left my car at work for a couple of days...we have a factory nearby, who knows, maybe there's literally something in the water!.

#10 ·
When I had a few probs with marks on my car was told by at least 3 top guys in the detailing business very well known to try

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/kamikaze-collection/water-spot-remover-250ml.aspx

Although I never got to try it as my car went back to the detainers to be corrected but they swear by kamikaze water spot remover

I'd def try it if I ever got a problem again

I think my problem with marks poss started off with to strong APC Cleaner or left on to long

#12 ·
So the Kamikaze came today, and unfortunately ended up being an expensive disappointment.

There's beautiful sunshine this morning, which although is no good for washing the car, allowed me to take a photo that showed the defects a little more;

At this stage, I'm really out of ideas. My next step will probably be Lime Prime on a finishing pad. Also, because I'm not 100% what caused it, I'm going to have to move away from Done and Dusted for now. I'll update the thread once I've tried a mild polish.

Thanks,
Tom

#13 ·
SUCCESS.

Nothing I tried as far as wipe on-wipe off products worked (and I tried a lot!).
As stated, Megs 105 partially did a job by hand.
Lime Prime by hand did nothing, but I decided to test a panel this afternoon with it on a CG-HL white by DA, and it's done the job perfectly

I still don't know how it happened, and I will probably change a couple of my products, but at least now I know I can go over the entire car in a few weeks with a single pass, using LP on a white pad.

LP - where the hell would we be without it?!

Thanks,
Tom

#17 ·
More than likely acid rain caused those spots. I had a few showers around that time caused etching into clear coat.

FSE is good on water spots but those type need machine polished out as you've realised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger that!
Its easy to dis a product if it does not do what you wanted.
FSE is on my list and been strongly recommended it by someone that has been using it. Its really hard to find a bad Koch Chemie product, maybe some are a a tad better in some products, but none I have used are duds by any means. JMHO though.
A new car really needs to be decontaminated first job. These cars can be stored in quite bad places and open to all sorts and sometimes ages. Dealer gets a temp to "Buff it up" with a cloth to tart it up :wall: and straight away its worse.
Best get it right day one and start off where you need to be.:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.