Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 22-09-2018, 10:09 PM   #11
floz
Unwashed Member

Should you be picky on the size of a backing plate? I just wonder how much it matters for the pads because as long as the backing covers it, you should be fine. If it’s too big I guess you may struggle with pressure distribution. I’m struggling to decide between 3, 3.5 and 4 inch. Any advice re that? What made you go for a 3?

Last edited by floz; 22-09-2018 at 10:19 PM.
floz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #12
GSVHammer
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
I already had a 3.5” backing plate for my 4” CG spot pads. I wanted some new pads with a bit more cut. I bought the shinemate spot pack from Clean Your Car. This was 75mm plate and 80mm pads. Handy for tighter areas.
Have a look at your car and see where the most restricted areas are to polish and see what size pads you will need.
Obviously there are parts on my car where I could only reach with a nano polisher. Out of my price range for the use it would get.
I got really good results using the 80mm pads by hand behind the door handles and on the lower parts of my fron valance.
GSVHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 09:10 PM   #13
MBRuss

I don't think you can really go wrong with mixing pads and products. Obviously you wouldn't want to use a course pad with a finishing polish, because there wouldn't be any benefit to using the course pad. However, you can use a softer pad with a compound to get scratches out in difficult areas. A finishing pad can flex better because it's softer, so will help it to keep spinning on uneven surfaces. It will just have a bit less cut than if you used a more course pad.

You could also consider microfibre pads, as they cut faster. I use Meguiar's microfibre cutting pads with their microfibre compound. Then finish with Meguiar's M205 and a finishing pad (I personally use Rupes yellow foam pads to finish).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
MBRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 01:31 AM   #14
floz
Unwashed Member

Slight update, planning to get the following, unless someone recommends otherwise.

Snow foam - cyc super snow foam
Tar remover - gyeon q2m
Iron remover - car pro iron x
Clay bar - bh medium (will lube with water/soap)
All in one polish - donít know! Still tempted by s20. What tends to be better for deeper scratches? I donít want to cut too hard.
Wax - is this the best approach or would a sealant be better? But confused by what lsp is best

Lastly, looking at cyc. Not sure which das package to get. Was thinking the das pro chemical guys complete kit. Is the das 6 v2 any good or does the pro really make a diff?
Old 29-09-2018, 10:29 PM   #15
GSVHammer

Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by floz View Post
Slight update, planning to get the following, unless someone recommends otherwise.

Snow foam - cyc super snow foam
Tar remover - gyeon q2m
Iron remover - car pro iron x
Clay bar - bh medium (will lube with water/soap)
All in one polish - donít know! Still tempted by s20. What tends to be better for deeper scratches? I donít want to cut too hard.
Wax - is this the best approach or would a sealant be better? But confused by what lsp is best

Lastly, looking at cyc. Not sure which das package to get. Was thinking the das pro chemical guys complete kit. Is the das 6 v2 any good or does the pro really make a diff?
DAS-6 PRO Dual Action Polisher
Specifications:

Orbit Size: 8mm
Backing Plate Thread Size: 5/16" (same as Porter Cable, G220 and UDM's)
Variable 6 Speed Dial: 2,500 to 6,500rpm
Weight - 2.3kg (approx)
Supplied with two Velcro Backing Plates Size: 125mm ( 5Ē ) and 150mm (6")
Fits 5", 6" and 6.5" polsihing pads

Key Features:

Heavy Duty 900w Motor
CE marked / 240v with UK plug
6 Meter Heavy Duty Cable
D-Handle
Canvas Carry Case
Aluminium Gear Housing Cover
CNC Finished Gears
Electricity Feedback Circuit
1 Year UK Manufacturer Warranty

This machine is balanced for 5",6" pads but I'm sure it will take a smaller backing plate. 3"(75mm) for 3.5"(80mm) pads or 3.5" for 4"(100mm) pads. Check with CYC

DAS-6 v2 Dual Action Polisher
Specifications:

Orbit Size: 9mm
Variable 6 Speed Dial: 2,000 to 6,500rpm
Weight - 1.75 kg (approx)
Supplied Velcro Backing Plates Size: 125mm ( 5Ē ) & 150mm (6")
Fits 5", 6" and 6.5" polsihing pads

Key Features:

5 Meter Heavy Duty Cable
D-Handle
Canvas Carry Case
CNC Finished Gears

As above this machine is balanced for 5",6" pads but I'm sure it will take a smaller backing plate. 3"(75mm) for 3.5"(80mm) pads or 3.5" for 4"(100mm) pads. Check with CYC
Less powerful motor may be a disadvantage.

DAS-6 PRO Plus - 15mm Dual Action Polisher

Specifications:

Orbit Size: 15mm
Variable 6 Speed Dial
Speed: 1,800 to 4,800 opm
Weight - 2.3kg (approx)
Supplied with a 125mm(5") & 150mm (6") backing plate
Fits all 5.5" & 6.5" polishing pads

Key Features:

Heavy Duty 880w Motor
6 Meter Heavy Duty Cable
D-Handle
Canvas Carry Case
CNC Finished Gears

Longer throw (orbit) on this one so will work more efficient than the other machines. I'm pretty sure this will not take a smaller backing plate than 5"(125mm) so you will be at a disadvantage for tighter areas than the other machines

If I had to choose one of the machines I would probaby go DAS-6 PRO Dual Action Polisher. Looks a good all round machine and can take smaller pads as well.
But before you purchase any machine I would speak to CYC and ask them about the machines first.

Pads and polish is another choice. I would say you will need a minimum of 2 pads the same to do a car. So 2 finishing pads, 2 polishing pads and 2 cutting pads. Not that you are going to use them all at once but if you were just to use a finishing polish you would need to use the 2 finishing pads. Do one panel then swap the pads over, this will make sure they don't get too hot.

You would have to purchase the same pads in smaller sizes 4".

Polishes are another minefield A medium polish and fine polish are probably all you need. Which is swinging me towards the DAS-6 PRO - Lake Country Hydro Tech and Menzerna Kit with an extra set of pads and spot pads. More expense but you need to factor these things in. This would be the minimum setup I think you would need.

Disclaimer All the above is just my take on things. I'm sure other DW members will chip in. And as I've said have a talk with CYC who will be able to advise you.

Hope this helps a little, H.
Old 29-09-2018, 11:22 PM   #16
floz
Unwashed Member

Really appreciate that GSVHammer. That’s the das 6 I was leaning towards as well. I’ll have a chat with cyc. Could you get away with finishing and cutting pads or do you need all 3. Just thinking if I’m using an all in one. Won’t it just be the one type of pad?
Old 30-09-2018, 01:35 AM   #17
GSVHammer

Garage
Quote:
Really appreciate that GSVHammer. Thatís the das 6 I was leaning towards as well. Iíll have a chat with cyc. Could you get away with finishing and cutting pads or do you need all 3. Just thinking if Iím using an all in one. Wonít it just be the one type of pad?
Using a one step polish (you had mentioned S20 earlier) you vary the cut/finish of that product with the pad choice. If you are not neading a heavy cut go for the polishing and finishing pads.

An all in one polish adds some protection as well so don't confuse a one step polish with an all in one polish.

One Step type Polish example:
Scholl S20 Black
Sonax EX04/06

Alll In One Example
Scholl Concepts A15+
Menzerna 3-in-1
Scholl Concepts ECOFIX E All In One Cut & Shine
Britemax AIO-Max
Sonax Machine Polish with NPT

There are others but that's just off the top of my head.

As an other example I used Sonax machine polish which is a 3 in 1 type polish on my own car with a polishing pad. It gave the cut required (not too much) and laid down some protection.
I then went over this with Sonax Polymer Netshield to protect my car over winter.

On my wife's car i used Britemax Blackmax (which is a polymer-based ultra fine polishing glaze) by machine with a polishing pad before applying Fusso coat.

So as a start a machine polisher a couple of polishing pads and some Britemax Blackmax would get you started, but don'e expect it to remove lots of swirls. You can then buy other pads/polish as required.

It's a slippery slope though, once you start buying you can't stop. Welcome to detailing
Old 30-09-2018, 04:08 PM   #18
GSVHammer

Garage
Old 30-09-2018, 10:59 PM   #19
floz
Unwashed Member

Haha. It’s the slope that concerns me.

Thanks for pointing out the difference. I’d assumed they were all one step. I thought the one steps worked by having big particles that broke down as they were used so it went from cut to finishing. Why is it you'd need to use different pads? Is it because the polish can only do so much? Or am I oversimplifying it?

I was hoping to get some light clear coat scratches out. I’m assuming I’d need a heavy cut for that. If that’s the case would you avoid one steps? Bit nervous about cutting too much as I don’t have a ptg to check. Considered getting a cheap one but I’m guessing that’s almost more risky if they’re inaccurate.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:33 AM   #20
GSVHammer

Garage
Quote:
Haha. Itís the slope that concerns me.

Thanks for pointing out the difference. Iíd assumed they were all one step. I thought the one steps worked by having big particles that broke down as they were used so it went from cut to finishing. Why is it you'd need to use different pads? Is it because the polish can only do so much? Or am I oversimplifying it?
Yes you are correct with having bigger particles that break down to fine particles. In order to get the maximum cut from the particles you would use a cutting pad.
If you didn't need as much cut from the same one step, you would use a polishing pad. The initial cut wouldn't be as aggresive due to the lighter cut of the pad but the particles would break down and polish the panel.

So with this type of product you can vary the cut via pad choice. A simple 3 pad system would be:
Cut
Polish
Finish

A system with more pad choice i.e Chemical Guys Hex Pads
Yellow = Heavy Cut
Orange = Medium Cut
Green = Light Cut/ Heavy Polishing
White = Polishing
Blue = Light Polishing
Black = Finishing
Red = Sealants

So you have more control over the cut from the one step polish.

Have a look at this post for pad choices

Quote:
I was hoping to get some light clear coat scratches out. Iím assuming Iíd need a heavy cut for that. If thatís the case would you avoid one steps? Bit nervous about cutting too much as I donít have a ptg to check. Considered getting a cheap one but Iím guessing thatís almost more risky if theyíre inaccurate.
I believe you are getting a fairly new car. The clearcoat needs to last a good few years so you want to remove as little as possible.
A heavy compound will remove the most clearcoat in the shortest time, great if the whole car needs it.

A medium polish will remove lighter marks. It will also remove deeper marks but you would have to go over the car several times to get the same effect has a heavy cutting compound.

If you new car has a couple of panels with heavier defects you could always go over the defects again with a medium polish to try and remove them.
It's trying to find the right balance of what you are happy with. The looks and preserving the clearcoat.

I hope the above makes sense.

PTG check out Paint thickness gauge DT-156 review, opinion and comments around the £80 mark. Yep I know, moe expense.

Tags
clay, correction, paint, polish