Detailing World Forum banner

These energy drinks.

12K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Caledoniandream 
#1 ·
Had my first and last one yesterday :mad:

It smelt like vomit and after an hour i felt like i was going to throw up.

Would i have got any benefit from 1 or do you have to keep on going past the sickness stage :eek: are they really beneficial or is it just a scam.

#5 ·
Not beneficial at all. How do I know? Because I see kids drinking them on the way to school while eating crisps. Anyone eating crisps at that time of the morning has no idea what is a decent diet, so no.
Worked with so many people over the years too that drink them to excess, swearing they need them and they're good. They then all realise after months/years that they're no good and too much of them has been causing headaches.

If you're lacking energy then sleep more get a better balanced diet and then see a Dr if that doesn't work.

#6 ·
There is nothing new in these "energy drinks".

People have always had the cup of coffee with 3 spoonfuls of instant coffee and three of sugar, or the cup of "Builders Tea".

Old fashioned Lucozade anyone ? or doesn't that have enough performance points on the label ?

Its Just that nowadays people are stoopid enough to be be sucked in by the advertising that promises you can purchase your way to a better life / better wife etc.

Oh and if you really feel the need to replace "essential vitamins and minerals lost through exercise", just buy some powdered post-diarrhoea recovery drink from the pharmacy section of the supermarket - its the same stuff, just a lot less trendy and a lot cheaper than the stuff they sell for bodybuilding.

#7 ·
I think OP meant the likes of Monster and Red Bull. Electrolyte/energy drinks have their place during sports and exercise.
The 'energy drinks' like Red Bull have amino acids like taurine and stimulants like caffeine among other extras, which will perk you up in the short term but have no real benefits long-term and can actually do damage. All the additives are also quite addictive, I know someone who got to the point where he drank 20 cans a day. That ain't healthy in anyone's book.

#8 ·
Excersize or not, you wouldn't catch me drinking them regularly. Most of them are howling with sugar which is detrimental to your teeth to begin with.

Best avoided. Even coke cola I view with suspicion now.

Pumping our bodies with lots of sugars is not ideal, we aren't designed for it.

#9 ·
Reminds me of the day when I had to meet up with one of our new chauffeurs.

Met him in McDonalds as I was chomping on a bacon n egg mcmuffin (no cheese)

He turns to me and says...

'I don't eat that rubbish, I have a can of Red Bull a day, and that's it' :doublesho

#14 ·
I only drink water or alcohol, that's it. (Oh and coffee when I'm at my Old Mans house).

If it works for people then good luck to them. Everyone has their vice. Let them get on with it. It's a drink, it's not a needle full of heroine FFS. Calm down.

They could be smashing the gym hours a day? It's relative to what your body exerts as to what you can get away with putting in.

#15 ·
i personally drink them often but i do like the taste. Diet or no added sugar ones admittingly but i have no issues. and they haven't caused me any issues in weight or sleep loss. I've lost 10KG since xmas from doing a fair amount of running and healthier foods, and still drink them daily.

As above though really i don't smoke or Take drugs and its only a Drink.

#16 ·
When people I talk to tell me how important these drinks are to their performance during excercise I ask them to watch boxers and MMA fighters between rounds........they're drinking WATER!
And I can't see your average Joe doing anything more demanding than a gruelling 12 rounds in the ring.

#17 ·
These energy drinks aren't the devil. Yeah fair enough they aren't necessarily good for you but they're not going to kill you if you drink them within reason.

As some have already said, it depends how many you're drinking and for what reason. There is no need to avoid them like the plague. In fact the caffeine and amino acids in them are good for pre-workout when lifting weights. They are good for that caffeine boost when needed.

It's not good to drink cups and cups of coffee in a day and people get addicted to coffee too so it's the same to an extent. Personally I don't like coffee and I'm sure others don't either so I wouldn't touch it so I opt for these instead when working, only if need be like I'm sure others do.

You'll see plenty of athlet's drinking these sorts of drinks and they are probably some of the healthiest and fittest people around. Page VanZant - MMA fighter drinks them and although she would drink water during fights it doesn't mean she doesn't drink thsee drinks. It's electrolytes that you lose during physical exercise so I wouldn't be surprised if they had electro tabs in the water.

A guy I used to work with used to drink so many in a day that he had no stomach lining so he had to take tablets for it. What did he take the tablets with....an energy drink. There's just no helping some people.

#18 ·
That's correct, they don't kill you instantly, and even the odd one will probably don't do you any harm.
And yes coffee is not very healthy either, but is ok in moderation.

The problem with energy drinks and certain other soft drinks, is the amount of refined sugar.
The other problem is the amount of acid, for example cola has a much higher Ph than vinegar.
Many of these drinks are when transported as concentrate, dangerous goods, as the are very aggressive.
We use to deliver Fosforic acid for the production of some of these drinks, you wouldn't want that on your skin (it cleans the drive brilliantly)

Anything in moderation is not that bad, the odd ***, the odd splif, the odd bar of chocolate, the odd Mac D, a coffee or tea now and than, etc. Etc.

But when moderation becomes a habit, and the body gets used to it, that's when damage gets done.
As an ex- drinker / smoker / coffee addict I notice how hard you have to work to get rid of habits, and how long the body need to recover.
It makes you very wary what you put in your body.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.