Detailing World Forum banner

Treating tarnished alloys

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Pinky 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I'm a noob when it comes to anything metal or wheels related for that matter.
I bought a used car and want to spruce up the wheels a bit without doing the whole refurb/laser cut etc.
The wheels are alloys, 19inch, the face looks like it's bare metal but may have clear coating on it(?) but deteriorated over the years. Just inside of the face/spokes etc is painted.
I want to get some help as to what's best to eliminate the tarnished/corroded(?) regions on the face.
Is using metal polish the best method but I'm afraid it will be too severe.
Many thanks.
EJ

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, They look like a diamond cut wheel by the looks of it. If so use a lathe on the face of the wheel and then its clear coated. They are renowned for the lacquer having issues after a few years coming away from the surface, search for 'white worm' and you'll probably see the issue. They look great but dont seem to last like regular painted wheels.

I fear there is little you can do to save them apart from a refurb, Metal polish is more for exhausts etc as the wheels are lacquered they are really treated in a similar way to paint. I have seen videos of people sanding back these areas and re-lacquering but depends on if you feel that would be acceptable or your confident to do it

#3 ·
Hi, They look like a diamond cut wheel by the looks of it. If so use a lathe on the face of the wheel and then its clear coated. They are renowned for the lacquer having issues after a few years coming away from the surface, search for 'white worm' and you'll probably see the issue. They look great but dont seem to last like regular painted wheels.

I fear there is little you can do to save them apart from a refurb, Metal polish is more for exhausts etc as the wheels are lacquered they are really treated in a similar way to paint. I have seen videos of people sanding back these areas and re-lacquering but depends on if you feel that would be acceptable or your confident to do it
Thanks so much for your prompt reply Christian.
Yes I was anticipating not liking the answer that there's nothing I could do, without refurbishing it. I googled white worm and surprise surprise the first page I clicked on had the exact same rim as mine (on pistonheads)! :S
If I decide to keep the car for a long time I may refurb them eventually or will get new rims. Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.