Detailing World Forum banner

Electric garage door fitting

8K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  GP Punto 
#1 ·

Got the above typical up and over new build garage door and would like to fit an electric motor to it.

Has anyone done it or got any top tips on the best one to use and rough costs?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
I had a similar door, but had it installed.

I cannot see the details from the pic but you may need to think about a personnel door in case of power cuts or electrical failure. In my case the fuse box was in the garage so a seperate door was essential.

Our door is also a roller type and because the garage has a mezzanine floor it had to be compact.

I also gained a bit on width as it didnt need all the metal work of an up and over door, gained about 2 inches in width which allowed a Golf to go in the garage with the mirrors fully out.

#8 ·
I had a similar door, but had it installed.

I cannot see the details from the pic but you may need to think about a personnel door in case of power cuts or electrical failure. In my case the fuse box was in the garage so a seperate door was essential.

Our door is also a roller type and because the garage has a mezzanine floor it had to be compact.

I also gained a bit on width as it didnt need all the metal work of an up and over door, gained about 2 inches in width which allowed a Golf to go in the garage with the mirrors fully out.
I have just had two new SWS Securoglide Compact roller doors fiited and although I have a side door I fitted a UPS. This will power both doors up and down quite a few times. I tried it 4/5 times and it didn't flatten the battery.

This was the UPS:
https://www.ebuyer.com/704439-apc-back-ups-950va-480-watt-ups-bx950ui

I also bought two of these adaptors so I could plug straight into it.
https://www.ebuyer.com/453800-power-management-tools-outlet-adapter-uniplugint

#10 ·
cheers, has it been fitted and did it work ok?

thanks for all the other imput. interesting about the power cut issue, thats the only entry/exit and the fuse box is in the garage :-/

suppose id just have to risk th epower cut as pretty sure i cld get in with no power

#19 ·
It was about three years ago so to be honest it would probably be more now. I would definitely recommend Hormann though. The installer put in inside the brickwork instead of outside so the less than 25mm of frame meaning I got the full width. A lot more height too. I'm not sure I'm allowed to recommend the company. Not sure if the rules.

#20 ·
I used a local garage door company to fit two motors to our up and over doors when we bought our house. They cost about £600 for both of them. Work perfectly and get lots of use.
Re the power going out, they fitted a thing so under those circumstances you can release the motor and push the door open...I imagine you could get one. Weve had it happen once in the last 2 years and it was good we had the option! Wouldn't work on roller though.

#21 ·
I bought a roller shutter door, it needed to be a slimline model because I have limited space above the door due to a mezzanine floor in the garage.

The fuse box is just inside the garage. I had a personnel door but had been fixed to stop burglar access, that door was also replaced.

This was about 4 years ago. In that time I have had four or five occaisions where the master trip has gone and I have had to go into the garage through the personel door. There was also a power cut in the area, the trip wasnt affected and if it had lasted more than an hour then I may have had to wind up the garage door from the inside of the garage.

Cost was £1200 for the door and £750 for the personnel door.

Plus points are:

It looks better,

Needs no paint although mine gets dusty along the bottom third of the door,

The garage is much warmer,

I gained an inch on the width of the door,

Its very covenient in bad weather to simply press a button rather than having to get out of the car.

I would have thought that the value of the house may have increased a little, or at least make it easier to sell

Security is better, no obvious means of access, I had a break in with the old up and over door, the thief simpy pushed a screwdriver into the latch on the top frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.