Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Gtechniq
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #1
bg_rocks
Unwashed Member

Garage
Does outside temperature affect curing

I couldn’t fine any information on this subject I am thinking of doing csl and exo v3 on clear coated Audi wheels (have leftovers lol) I know those products are not dedicated for rims but we did that on another Audi and 6 months later still amazing results. But right now is about 50 degrees Fahrenheit outside what will be affect of that I can bring them one by one inside to apply but I kind of want to get them all done in one day so will have to put them back on the car.
bg_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #2
tosh
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Short answer is yes - the warmer it is, the faster it'll cure.

When I do my wheels (inside) - I coat two at a time, and then do a swipe test with a MF towel - once it starts to feel 'tacky' I buff them down.

Depending on the weather/temp this happens at different times - normal day would be 10 mins - cold could be 20 mins.

Given the temperature, you may just want to put CSL on the alloys, as you really need that coating to be hard before you top with Exo.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #3
bg_rocks
Unwashed Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh View Post
Short answer is yes - the warmer it is, the faster it'll cure.

When I do my wheels (inside) - I coat two at a time, and then do a swipe test with a MF towel - once it starts to feel 'tacky' I buff them down.

Depending on the weather/temp this happens at different times - normal day would be 10 mins - cold could be 20 mins.

Given the temperature, you may just want to put CSL on the alloys, as you really need that coating to be hard before you top with Exo.
Reading on Gtechniq site no need to wait between csl and exo unlike c1 and exo (3h) maybe do one at a time and leave it at home overnight put the spare on its 70 at home so it should be warm enough for normal curing and still give it an hour between csl and exo
Old 07-12-2017, 02:08 PM   #4
robinh112
Washmitt Meister

if you are outdoors then yes!
robinh112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #5
tosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg_rocks View Post
Reading on Gtechniq site no need to wait between csl and exo unlike c1 and exo (3h) maybe do one at a time and leave it at home overnight put the spare on its 70 at home so it should be warm enough for normal curing and still give it an hour between csl and exo
I've seen that advice - personally (from experience) I would wait as long as possible between CSL and Exo, especially in this weather. I find pulling wheels, decon and coating to be a painful process, so I'd rather give it the best opportunity to bond.

The last wheels I did, my process was
- remove the wheels, pull into the garden and decon
- pull wheels into the kitchen (evening)
- IPA wipedown, coat with CSL, and buff
- next morning (+8 hrs), buff again, apply Exo, put back onto the car

When you buff CSL after 1 hour, and you come back to it again the following morning, it has noticeably hardened - try it for yourself - the morning after buff is much nicer than the one after coating.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #6
bg_rocks
Unwashed Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh View Post
I've seen that advice - personally (from experience) I would wait as long as possible between CSL and Exo, especially in this weather. I find pulling wheels, decon and coating to be a painful process, so I'd rather give it the best opportunity to bond.

The last wheels I did, my process was
- remove the wheels, pull into the garden and decon
- pull wheels into the kitchen (evening)
- IPA wipedown, coat with CSL, and buff
- next morning (+8 hrs), buff again, apply Exo, put back onto the car

When you buff CSL after 1 hour, and you come back to it again the following morning, it has noticeably hardened - try it for yourself - the morning after buff is much nicer than the one after coating.
Wait I am at lost if I buff after an 1 hour I will not be able to remove it at all. But yeah I guess I will do one wheel at a time no other way at this time of the year.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #7
tosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg_rocks View Post
Wait I am at lost if I buff after an 1 hour I will not be able to remove it at all. But yeah I guess I will do one wheel at a time no other way at this time of the year.
I meant you apply and buff in the normal way - 3-10 mins after application depending on temperature.

If you buff the wheels after an hour (as you would before you apply Exo if you follow their instructions), it'll feel different to buffing them again overnight.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:34 PM   #8
gtechrob
Gtechniq UK

Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,829 Posts
we recommend a min temperature of 5 celcius when applying. if conditions are v. dry and v cold - curing will be slower but the 12 hr cure window will be sufficient.

also - we recommend not washing coated surfaces for at least 1 week after application