Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Car Chem
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Car Chem Car-Chem Ltd have an extensive range of the highest quality car care products on the market, whether it is for interior freshness or exterior shine, Car-Chem know that attention to detail is of the most importance, here at Car-Chem we will strive to make sure you and your car have our upmost attention with our extensive car treatment product range which will guarantee your car looks back to its show room shine. Unlike many car care companies we formulate and manufacture everything ourselves, we feel this gives us an advantage over our competitors as we have the facility and machinery to achieve consistency, quality and versatility.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #1
ttc6
Washmitt Meister

CarChem De-Icer - Am I Using it Wrong?

Always used to defrost the cars with water, found clearing the water from the glass before it refroze to be a bit hit-n-miss. Seeing as everyone raves about the CC product, thought I would give it a go.

Now, my daily hack is a bit of an ongoing experiment. In that I've owned it over 2 years and never cleaned it. So safe to say the windows are filthy. I mean, every bit of it is. First time I tried the de-icer it left a strange greasy film on the windows, which made the car borderline dangerous to see out of. A bit like someone had vaseline'd it for a laugh. No worries I thought, I'll clean them and give it a go again in the morning. So I did, got them spotless, same story.

I've also tried it on our F20 (which I do keep clean), although admittedly only when it was dirty - it's not frozen since I cleaned it last. I've tried spraying the product on and letting it run off, as well as mopping it up with a paper towel in one case and a microfibre in the other. No joy. There's no sealant on the windows and I don't use any wax-shampoo type products. All I do is wipe the windows down with Gtechniq G6 (MSDS says Ethanol) after the final rinse.

Any ideas anyone?
ttc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:08 PM   #2
Actrosman
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Don’t think there’s much can go wrong with de-icer is there? Not that I’ve used any for years though, I just didn’t fancy it running down the paint.....same as the pre-Icer.....it works, I just didn’t like the mess nor could I be bothered walking round the car spraying it on! I find that a coat if glass sealant helps prevent ice/frost build up on side windows, normally just use a silicone blade to remove moisture but the glass needs to be spotless before application.....treat the windscreen the same but ensure the wipers are clean & grease free
Actrosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:49 PM   #3
Caledoniandream
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

No problem with it, just spray on (plenty) wait a minute, wipers on and job done.
No issues with greasy stripes, however if I park in the industrial estate I get that even if I just put my wipers on, must be something in the air.
Caledoniandream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #4
CarChem
DW Sponsor

Thank you for your enquiry, looking at the formulation there is nothing within it that would cause a "Vaseline" mess in the screen, the formulation is build up on alcohols so these will evaporate in air.

ONLINE STORE : BESPOKE MANUFACTURING : OUR RE-SELLERS : TRADE ACCOUNT
Hazelford Way, Newstead, Nottingham
CarChem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:04 AM   #5
ttc6
Washmitt Meister

Thanks all for your input. I should add that I'm not having a particular problem on the front or rear screens as screenwash and wipers clean it up nicely - the problem is on the side windows and mirrors.

As the formulation is alcohol (what I expected really), whatever is getting left behind, presumably, is coming from somewhere else. I tried using it to clean the windows this morning and it took several turns of the towel but came up spotless, as you'd expect.

I'm wondering if it's something to do with the bottle? It was brand new, one of those posh ones that sprays in both directions (can't find it on the CC website any more) - like a Mercury one but unbranded. Maybe some odd reaction with a release agent inside it or something?

Cheers
Old 06-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #6
Brian1612

Thanked 3,113 Times in 2,047 Posts
Why not use it, allow to dwell as long as required then use the rubber side of the scraper to squeegee it off.
Brian1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:19 AM   #7
ttc6
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1612 View Post
Why not use it, allow to dwell as long as required then use the rubber side of the scraper to squeegee it off.
Gave this a go this morning, worked fine.

I'm still getting the strange reaction on bits I couldn't quite reach with the squeegee though, and overspray on the mirrors has done the same again. It's almost as if it's left water on the glass that won't run off or evaporate. I'll sneak a picture at some point.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #8
Brian1612

Thanked 3,113 Times in 2,047 Posts
Not still frozen drops of water TTC6?
Brian1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #9
ttc6
Washmitt Meister

No, still liquid. You can push it around with your finger. It looks like, when you don’t use enough fairy up liquid to clean a frying pan and you leave it on the drainer to dry and you get a kind of greasy water residue left behind. Then on the mirrors, just overspray rather than directly applied, I’ve got more normal looking dry water spots.

Was mad at work today but will get a picture when I can. Cheers.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:41 PM   #10
ttc6
Washmitt Meister

Did a proper test this weekend, science and everything. (Kind of.)

Saturday morning. 8am. Frozen. 0C.

After around 20s dwell:

Sqeegee'd three windows and left one au naturele:

The wiped windows almost immediately re-froze:

Whilst the untouched one was fine:

Reapplied to the re-frozen windows and left them be. Drove to work, 10 miles or so. The windows which had been squeegee'd and re-de-iced had the weird greasy residue on: (tricky to photograph off a phone)

This I think is the same residue but dried onto the heated mirror, which was causing the worst problems driving at night: (didn't spray the mirrors directly)

This morning, obviously had quite a bit more to deal with, with frozen snow. I hit the windows in 2-3 stages, scraped a bit, but didn't squeegee. No real residue to speak of, and actually I was really impressed with how well it worked. Cut through a couple of inches of hard, crystallized, re-frozen snow without a lot of effort. Was nice having plenty of working time, and I don't think the same job would have been quite so easy with water.

I think the conclusion I've come to is not to use the product in areas where it can't dilute with plenty of frozen water and run off of its own accord.

Hope this can help a couple of people out there. Saved my sanity, if nothing else...