Detailing World Forum banner

Claying Glass ?

4K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  James_R 
#1 ·
Has anyone clayed their glass (on the outside) ?

On my 2016 MK7 Golf GTD, my rear wiper (even though the blade is a Bosch and relatively new) judders on first activation, but doesn't on the return sweep ?

I've noticed that the glass isn't left spotless when the blade wipes, but rather there's a random pattern that appears in the swept area (though only visible when the wiper sweeps and before the glass dries out), that slowly disappears as stated when the glass dries, and I can't see anything by eye when the glass is dry by just looking at it.

I'm wondering if at some time I've got polish or something on the glass and if it can be removed by claying ? I've tried IPA on a clean cloth but that made no difference ?

Thanks

#9 ·
Always clay mine when I do a full 6 month detail, or if I'm going to re apply glass sealant. Both my wife and father in law have old Nissan Almera's and the rear glass always gets the clay bar the dirtiest, even more than the lower front door panels.

So it's worth doing. Might be worth trying some panel wipe or tar remover if you have any to see if it can break down whats on the glass.

#10 ·
Bar Keepers Friend works. I've used it on the Daughters Car that was going back (it was a lease car) had a big curve off 1 of the wipers, something had been trapped under it.
It didn't remove all of it but looked a lot, lot better, well they never picked up on it when it was returned anyway

#16 ·
Had the same problem with a 2015 mk7 golf. Wiper always juddered from brand new. Think it's a common issue.

Question on claying glass, just use clay lube or glass cleaner?
I'd try glass cleaner on it's own first, if this doesn't work then would def recommend Bar Keepers friend as it cured a problem with my windscreen.

If claying the glass - what does the clay bar recommend you use - some are okay with water, others not... I've used a clay mitt on a friends car using a strong shampoo mix and worked wonderfully :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.