Detailing World Forum banner

Wireless help

882 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Ravinder 
#1 ·
Hi guys, recently purchased a laptop which I use mainly in my bedroom. Got a wireless router downstairs with the internet connected to the main pc but I find the signal is not that strong upstairs and my internet runs quite slow. When I'm watching a video or something it keeps freezing. I have Virgin Broadband which I think is quite good on the PC downstairs and quite quickish. Is there any way that I can get a stronger signal upstairs? Unfortunately running wires upstairs is not an option. Can I get some sort of booster signal or something? Thanks. Rav

#6 ·
Sorry i didn't explain well!

What i meant was do you have a cordless phone and is the base for your phone close to the router?
If the base stations are close to wireless routers it can play havoc with signal strength a realiability of the wireless connection.

First fix would be to move the router away and failing that change the channels used on the router.

If non of the above is applicable it might be worth considering replacing with your own router.
That may also be beneficial if your laptop is new and can use the 'N' conectivity. Changing to a router that offers 'n' connectivity will give you better wireless coverage and speeds with compatable devices.

#9 ·
Sorry for the late reply. Barely been on. The router is a netgear I think?
Yes. the phone sits about 3/4 metre away from the main computer and router area. It has always sat here. You reckon it will help moving it away? Can only try I suppose.

I've not looked into Homeplugs. No nothing about it. Hadn't even heard of it but will read up on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.