Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 13-03-2018, 07:06 PM   #11
justina3
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Send a message via MSN to justina3
Cant add anything to above all very valid points, only think i would comment on is going from s3 to s40 leaves a large gap i would put something in the middle maube s17 i do like that one.
justina3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 07:52 PM   #12
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,729 Times in 2,876 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by justina3 View Post
Cant add anything to above all very valid points, only think i would comment on is going from s3 to s40 leaves a large gap i would put something in the middle maube s17 i do like that one.
Trust me on this I've used S3 with MF and foam cutting pads, and every time all I've needed is S40 to finish and that is on a lot of different black paints soft and hard
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 09:37 PM   #13
PedroC
Sponge Jockey

Interesting points about Rotary as a first machine.

I've watched Jon @ Forensic detailing vids (The M3 trilogy!) and he has really sold the rotary to me after watching those.

Keeping the pad moving and not using a gazillion RPM would be common sense no?

Jon compounded is M3 with Scholl S3 and S40 and reckons that pretty much all you'll need.
PedroC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 10:15 AM   #14
suspal
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 4,070 Times in 3,298 Posts
There's pro's and con's for both machines and this applies to both the beginner and the pro.
Some paints are so finicky that a rotary machine is not the tool to use and then again a dual action machine won't cut the mustard.
Three decades ago I started with a rotary and I found I was a natural not boasting or anything, In those days we didn't have a choice also technology has moved on where the use of a rotary has been made easier with the pads and compounds made available.
I've never been an advocate of video's as videos don't give you a feel for the machine, secondly, it's always a subjective view, I'm not bashing Jon there's quite a bit I do agree with him and then there's a lot I don't agree with.
The best advice I can offer is to ask someone who's close to you who has both types of machines is to let you have a play with them, this will give you a hands-on feel for either machine making your decision that much easier to make.
Also what I will also add is backing plates make one hell of a difference in my experience I've had machines that I thought I wouldn't get on with and a simple change of backing machine sorted that out and that combination was sweet, that can also be applied to pads and compounds too.
Find out if someone close by will let you have a go and possibly show you how they're meant to be used, Hope I haven't opened a :-
Good Luck.
suspal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suspal For This Useful Post:
chongo (14-03-2018), PedroC (14-03-2018)
Old 14-03-2018, 03:09 PM   #15
PedroC
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspal View Post
There's pro's and con's for both machines and this applies to both the beginner and the pro.
Some paints are so finicky that a rotary machine is not the tool to use and then again a dual action machine won't cut the mustard.
Three decades ago I started with a rotary and I found I was a natural not boasting or anything, In those days we didn't have a choice also technology has moved on where the use of a rotary has been made easier with the pads and compounds made available.
I've never been an advocate of video's as videos don't give you a feel for the machine, secondly, it's always a subjective view, I'm not bashing Jon there's quite a bit I do agree with him and then there's a lot I don't agree with.
The best advice I can offer is to ask someone who's close to you who has both types of machines is to let you have a play with them, this will give you a hands-on feel for either machine making your decision that much easier to make.
Also what I will also add is backing plates make one hell of a difference in my experience I've had machines that I thought I wouldn't get on with and a simple change of backing machine sorted that out and that combination was sweet, that can also be applied to pads and compounds too.
Find out if someone close by will let you have a go and possibly show you how they're meant to be used, Hope I haven't opened a :-
Good Luck.

Haha! That’s very unlike me. Dive in head first with a dewalt or shine mate rotary and got from there is more like it!
PedroC is offline   Reply With Quote