Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:24 PM   #1
SimTaylor
Washmitt Meister

Lime Green Vauxhall Corsa D SXi

After securing a SCITT position in Cambridge my mum took action and treated me to a new car as a reward. This however comes with my Mini being written off and my Golf MK3 destroying itself and as a third year university student funds are too often eradicated from constant car repairs and purchases so she decided a newer car would be much more beneficial in the long run, I will also be paying her back when I start my SCITT in September.

After driving it for around three months I have to say the car really is much better than I expected. It is very refined considering it is a Corsa, the engine is smooth and very quiet, I get good MPG and the road noise is certainly worlds apart from all previous cars I owned (apart from my Jaguar X-Type). I enjoy the luxuries of one touch indicators, auto headlights, cruise control and not having the constant fear of breaking down.

The car is Lime Green which I believe was an £500+ option and also has the VX Styling kit. I don't like the image that these Corsa's uphold and the Corsa D Forums really back this up. That is my biggest concern with this car the image that the Corsa holds in general. But hopefully I can make this one very OEM+ and keep it ion tip top shape, I feared I would miss the performance of my Cooper S but I have to say I really haven't.

New Car by Simon Taylor, on Flickr

No real plans involving modifications as such. I have fitted my personalised number plates, fitted a set of wind deflectors as i always have the window open and cannot stand car air (much better description required),removed the dealership stickers and de-badged the 1.4 from the boot. I plan on getting a set of indicator surrounds from the VXR and then it will probably just be a case of making it super clean all the time.

Apologies for the pictures, it is horrendous weather at the moment.
SimTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:49 PM   #2
percymon
Orbital Oracle

Nice motor - enjoy it

Personally, if it's parked in student areas, for extended periods then I'd have left the 1.4 badges on, or changed them to something lower capacity even. Its a standout colour, with styling pack, so a bigger target for low lifes who may think it's got more performance than it really has left unbadged.
percymon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:52 PM   #3
DrEskimo
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

A tidy little motor, congrats! Not sure I could pull off the lime green but it suits these wee cars

Well done on securing a SCITT position. Am I right in thinking these are like University led PGCE schemes? Take it you're interested in becoming a teacher?
DrEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 06:37 PM   #4
ibiza55

Thanked 1,289 Times in 1,257 Posts
Garage
Like it,keep it standard.
ibiza55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:55 PM   #5
Dave170
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Looks good the colour really pop's!
Dave170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:37 PM   #6
jon-v8
Orbital Oracle

Send a message via MSN to jon-v8
Nice little motor!

We had the 1.4 SXI in the 3 door back in 09. We spec'd it up with plus pack, vxr styling pack, sensors and a few other bits. It was a smart looking car and the highest spec Corsa D our dealer had sold! They drive really nicely although I found it quite thirsty and under powered for a little car.

Saying that though, my wife has just bought a 13 plate 1.2 SXI 5 door in Bronze, as she says she does like the cars.

Definitely keep it close to original though, too many of these get modified!
jon-v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:46 PM   #7
Rían P

Garage
Class wee motor there sir! Love that colour on the corsa, really emphasises the sharp lines of the body.

Great wee motor! Health to enjoy and look forward to updates!

Best,
Rían P
Rían P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:34 PM   #8
CoOkIeMoNsTeR

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEskimo View Post
A tidy little motor, congrats! Not sure I could pull off the lime green but it suits these wee cars

Well done on securing a SCITT position. Am I right in thinking these are like University led PGCE schemes? Take it you're interested in becoming a teacher?
They are indeed, School Centred Initial Teacher Trained is the full title I think. I believe it's a better way to train teachers IMO (former DT teacher here, I did a QTS degree in the day, now an Educational Advisor to the Welsh Govt. and Exam author). So indeed congratulations are in order

Car looks good as well, me likey the green

Last edited by CoOkIeMoNsTeR; 11-01-2017 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
CoOkIeMoNsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:28 PM   #9
Christian6984
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,213 Posts
Garage
very nice and tidy little car that suites the colour well
Christian6984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 07:50 PM   #10
SimTaylor
Washmitt Meister

After 6 months of ownership I have to say that I am still really enjoying this car. The car has performed faultlessly, remains comfortable, half decent fuel econmomy and touch wood nothing has broken yet.

In terms of modifications, I need to paint my rear drum brakes black as they have a little surface rust and fit a set of VXR indicator surrounds.

Whilst I do love this car I am toying with the idea of getting a sportier exhaust as my car is literally silent, however I don't want to be branded a hoonigan or whatever the kids these days say, and I'm only considering a back box that is OEM looking just sounds a little sportier which I have no idea if such thing exists.

Untitled by Simon Taylor, on Flickr

DSCN0197 by Simon Taylor, on Flickr

Last edited by SimTaylor; 15-03-2017 at 07:55 PM.
SimTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote