Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 21-12-2015, 04:51 PM   #11
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Next up was one of the other priority jobs, security and general access to the car.
Problem 1: 4 keys, 1 for ignition barrel, 1 for boot, 1 for drivers door, 1 Unknown.
Problem 2: Passenger door wouldn't open, catch seized!

I was really happy to have found a brand new genuine full lock & ignition set aswel with the correct Peugeot logo embossed keys. Albeit the eagle eyed will notice that the key plastic is the phase 2 design. No bother, I've also got a pair of uncut Phase 1 type keys to use. A sign of what's to come with the level of detail that I'm willing to put into this project

Next up was the passenger door, patience was stretched thinly with this one. With the carpet and seats out, the doorcard was at least accessible and able to be removed with the door closed. It was clear that it wasn't the lock part of the mechanism which had broke, but annoyingly it was the catch having seized over the strike pin. Very little could be done other than spray penetrating fluid liberally in the general area of the mechanism inside the door, and in the door shut line in the general area of the strike pin and catch.
Finally it freed up allowing the door to open, revealing yet more conifer and moss in the door shut!

At least then I was able to completely strip the door down, clean up the mechanism and get it working smoothly again.

Seals after removing the green moss effect

Whilst the seals were bathing in the sink, I continued to clean up the passenger door, despite it being hidden this kind of mess with the tape annoys me

Some hours later and the panels looking much better

I then cleaned out no end of muck from within the bottom of the door and cleared the drainage holes

It'll end that chapter for now, the door does hang very well and now opens and closes fine but it is a shame that the outer skin has got some damage where it looked like the door had been opened onto a wall and bent the trailing edge in the past. Re-skin or replace the door at a later date would have to be considered.

Passenger Door accomplished I used the remainder of the pack of baby wipes to start on this (yep that's another example of how bad a state the interior was in)

Got this far
Willsy309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 04:59 PM   #12
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quick one here, needs no explanation
Before

Broken piece needed replacing

After
Old 21-12-2015, 05:16 PM   #13
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
I then needed a bit of a break from the interior whilst I decided that to do next.
So what better past time than to hoover the engine bay and have a bit of a dig around the front end, plenty of potential common 309 rot areas to uncover here, fingers crossed!

Started taking the headlights and grille panel out to inspect behind them for what seems to be a common rusty area. Although not perfect I'm quite pleased that there's nothing horrendous to tackle. The moss has been evicted from below the headlights too.

Here's a few 'before' pictures before I got cracking

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willsy309 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (21-12-2015), SBM (22-12-2015)
Old 21-12-2015, 05:29 PM   #14
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
After filling the Dyson by hoovering the engine bay I felt brave and ventured into tackling another problem and the likely cause of the interior leak!

Onto the sunroof. Quite quickly I realised that it wouldn't even open. Not surprising given the infestation of shrubbery cluttering the runners. This would require a complete strip down and careful reassembly.

After freeing things off, I was eventually able to force the sunroof open with the careful aid of a rubber mallet, this picture gives a perfect vision of what I've had to clear out, years of degrading conifer sludge!

More pics follow in a later update

I then carried on removing some interior trim for some more cleaning

Cleaned the rear bench area up easy enough

Funky old skool feature alert, here are those earlier mentioned levers which control the opening/closing of the rear quarter windows

Last edited by Willsy309; 13-01-2016 at 11:42 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Willsy309 For This Useful Post:
SBM (22-12-2015)
Old 21-12-2015, 05:29 PM   #15
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,557 Times in 2,632 Posts
Garage
Absolutely outstanding car chum. I loved these as a teenager in the early 90s.

Keep up the great work!

Cooks
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 05:33 PM   #16
acprc
PC Perfectionist

Excellent work but what could you be doing that is more important than updating this thread?
acprc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 05:43 PM   #17
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Two part update this one, first half of the day spent removing more interior to clean up along with cleaning of the boot area.

The boot floor was definitrly in need of a clean, I removed traces of the old carpet glue on the arches too. Found a little bit of rust tucked up in the offside rear inner arch area under where the jack is stored. This is a common area, so much so that Peugeot did make a replacement piece for this area, although that's long since disappeared from the availability list.

Anyway here's the before pics after I'd removed the boot carpets which were again coated in a lovely shade of mould prior to shampooing

And the afters

Another obvious problem to address is the black wire running to the rear light cluster, clearly a fault that had been attempted to have been repaired in the past. One to look at later

The rest of the day was spent dismantling the sunroof and starting to clean everything up, another gentle reminder of the before mess

After

Popped the sunroof back into place to test it, finally has nice smooth operation and no longer needs the assistance of a rubber mallet.

Last edited by Willsy309; 13-01-2016 at 11:45 AM.
SBM (22-12-2015)
Old 21-12-2015, 05:48 PM   #18
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Thanks for the positive comments so far everyone. I'll reply in more detail as soon as I've blasted though all these posts and got you all up to date.

Updates so far are less than a months worth of ownership to give you an idea at February 2014. It'll be kicked up a notch shortly :-)
SBM (22-12-2015)
Old 21-12-2015, 05:54 PM   #19
Willsy309
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Spoiler off next! A bit filthy underneath it

Clean enough for now

Boot carpets had a good clean with the wet vac. The usual before pics as follows

And afters

Last edited by Willsy309; 13-01-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 21-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #20
JMorty
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to JMorty
This. Is. Awesome.

Love a bit of French metal and not the music.

Great work on a fairly unseen car.

Keep it up fella!
JMorty is offline   Reply With Quote