Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 21-06-2016, 11:43 PM   #1
Ford8loke
Washmitt Meister

Focus rs mk1 restoration

Hello to all at DW. Thought I would start a diary of my new project FRS mk1.

The story starts about four weeks ago when I was on my way to pick up my 2nd mondeo st220, I love these cars but more about that in another thread. So a short train ride from Northampton to Leighton Buzzard and I meet my dad who was giving me a lift to surrey where the mondeo was located.

After a couple hours driving we arrived in surrey. With the money and paper work sorted I jumped into my new mondeo said goodbye to my dad and started the long drive back to Kettering.

On the drive back I couldn't help but notice just how many ford focus mk2 rs and st are on the roads! This got me thinking, my 2nd car (focus st3) has to go!

I'd been considering a frs mk1 for a while so the decision was easy.

A week later the fst was replaced with an rs and soon this was parked on the driveway.

I got the car relatively cheap compared to the average asking price of a half decent example but as the saying goes "you get what you pay for"😖

So I'll start with the cars good points.

The engine has recently been rebuilt and live mapped up to 300bhp and pulls very strong. The gear box also feels nice and tight with a new clutch fitted at same time as the engine rebuild.

The interior is pretty good and just needs a good clean.

Now for the not so good bits😒

The body work is starting to show its age with a few rusty patches (luckily not on the rear arches) and and the front bumper having clearly been repaired more than once.

The underside will need stripping down and re-sealing and a small repair to one of the jacking points.

It's rubbing on the front arch liners with only the slightest steering lock! Why do people choose stance over drivability/comfort???????

Most the bushes are well past there best so will be replaced with powerflex items.

This weekend just gone I attempted to adjust the front ride height, I say attempted because it didn't exactly go to plan. The spring seats had seized solid and all I achieved was two damaged C spanners 😠. Add new Coilovers to the to the parts list.

So with the coilovers not budging I tackled the front bumper instead. After removing the head lights and a few nuts and bolts the bumper was off.

This revealed some pretty shoddy repairs.

Last edited by Ford8loke; 05-09-2016 at 08:57 PM.
Ford8loke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 11:55 PM   #2
rob267
Orbital Oracle

Oh dear. The bumper is in a bad way.
Love the car though mate. Will be watching with interest.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
rob267 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rob267 For This Useful Post:
Ford8loke (12-01-2017)
Old 22-06-2016, 12:11 AM   #3
ffrs1444
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
You forgot the most important part of being a MK 1 owner the build number.
That is a shocking repair if you look on gumtree and eBay there are parts there is a lad on gumtree from Plymouth who is stripping his to sell
ffrs1444 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ffrs1444 For This Useful Post:
Ford8loke (12-01-2017)
Old 22-06-2016, 09:05 AM   #4
Mikej857

Garage
My bumper isn't much better if I'm honest the same dodgy repairs and the prices of a replacement are extortionate your looking at £350 for another used damaged bumper and £700 for a reproduction.

The price of used parts really has put me off ownership I've only had mine 6 months and it's already up for sale I can't justify putting anymore money into it knowing I'll never get it back and having come from a mk2 ST it's a real eye opener at just how raw the RS is from the opposite ends of the spectrum compared to the mk2.
Mikej857 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikej857 For This Useful Post:
Ford8loke (12-01-2017)
Old 22-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
Ford8loke
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej857 View Post
My bumper isn't much better if I'm honest the same dodgy repairs and the prices of a replacement are extortionate your looking at £350 for another used damaged bumper and £700 for a reproduction.

The price of used parts really has put me off ownership I've only had mine 6 months and it's already up for sale I can't justify putting anymore money into it knowing I'll never get it back and having come from a mk2 ST it's a real eye opener at just how raw the RS is from the opposite ends of the spectrum compared to the mk2.

Hello mikej857. It's your rs thread that encouraged me to buy one! You really do keep it clean.
Old 22-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #6
mattcoupturbo
Washmitt Meister

Do love a Focus RS, mk1s are very nice. Looking forward to seeing the work.
mattcoupturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mattcoupturbo For This Useful Post:
Ford8loke (12-01-2017)
Old 22-06-2016, 12:48 PM   #7
ffrs1444

Garage
Quote:

where is up for sale and what build number mate
Ford8loke (12-01-2017)
Old 22-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #8
Mikej857

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrs1444 View Post
where is up for sale and what build number mate
It's build number 473 pm me if your interested I've only advertised it on the owners pages
Mikej857 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikej857 For This Useful Post:
Ford8loke (12-01-2017)
Old 22-06-2016, 12:58 PM   #9
ffrs1444

Garage
Quote:
It's build number 473 pm me if your interested I've only advertised it on the owners pages
Rs owners will have a look dude
Ford8loke (12-01-2017)
Old 08-07-2016, 10:53 PM   #10
Ford8loke
Washmitt Meister

Small update.

Due to work and prepping my other car for sale I've not had much time for the rs, but have managed a couple of hours here and there. First off the front bumper is still in my garage and I've almost removed all the old repairs. So far I've found 9 cracks that need repairing and I'm yet to rub down the right hand corner where there's a few more. I have managed to rebuild the left hand top corner that hat a hole in. I used fibre glass sheet and resin layered up to back fill and reinforce the area.

Whilst the front bumper has been off I've been able to have a good look at the brackets that the charge cooler rad is mounted to. These are definitely in need of some attention.

Next up was the sills. I had noticed some slight bubbling above the side skirts so with a little persuasion the skirts were removed which revealed this.

Not as bad as I was expecting on the passenger side with just two small holes that need welding up. This sill has definitely been replaced looking at the nice big line of welding.

The drivers side was a different story however and definitely in need of attention.

Lots of what I hope is just surface rust.

Plans for this weekend are to clean up the sills read for repair and protection.

Last edited by Ford8loke; 17-12-2016 at 07:57 AM.