Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 02-09-2016, 05:34 PM   #1
burrows1980
Unwashed Member

New paint scuffs?

Hi,

So I had my project sprayed last september by a guy who came recommended, but unfortunelty the job was very poor for the money I paid. Not going to go into detail but I decided I wasnt getting him to fix the faults due to breakdown in trust.

Now the paint is black!! so theres a fair few bits that need some attention. Ive never done machine polishing but really want to learn from this forum, best way to practise in my book is on your own car, and watching a lot of YouTube videos. Im looking to buy a Sealey ER1700PD, not heard many bad comments, and not badly priced for occasional use.

So after the car was painted the guy rubbed a few areas down then buffed, but due to the poor light in the shop and it being a black car looked good at the time, until I got it home and saw a lot of scuffed areas:

Top edge of wing

Front edge of roof leading to wind screen

Very light scratch on roof, cant feel with finger nail (i did that )

Also I somehow did this

So the scuffs as shown are on various parts of the car, but the worst area is the roof.

I was looking into using Farecla G10 to polish it out, would this be the best choice?

And the scratch in the clear coat, again cant feel with finger nail, is this best to rub with say 1500 grit paper then machine polish?

Thanks in advance,

Gaz
burrows1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:44 PM   #2
REVERSiN
PC Perfectionist

I don't know about the polish but depends on your pain to whether it's soft or not.

From what I see it seems sanding marks on a few spots probably to remove nibs from paint, and why do I say nibs only "orange peel!" the and a much of it.

The scratch is Easy to fix either try polish for The try if that doesn't work go straight to sanding with 2000 not 1500 the even 2500 would do. It's safer that way.

First picture of the wing its such a bad peel you need to flatten it down. Not easy but can be done so your choice and just be careful mate.

I can encourage you by saying you are lucky these are the only faults and they can be fixed, but unlike some conditions where you have sanding marks under the paint and that would require A respray !

Cheers 👍

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
REVERSiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:11 PM   #3
burrows1980
Unwashed Member

Yep as I said not the best paint job, and totally gutted by it, I really wish I had done it myself. I paid out a small fortune on the setup, devilbiss GTi pro gun, huge compressor, air drying system, only to find the paint I was trailing was crap! Non ISO paint!! There's a thread on the mig welding forum all about it, I tried everything with the stuff but it would never harden properly. I got really good finish from it, like a mirror straight from the gun grrrrr!

I wasn't willing to use normal 2k paint in a residential area, so reluctantly got it sprayed by someone else....

Ive got a spare panel to practise on so might opt trying to colour sand it, hopefully there's enough clear on it!

I don't know the brand of paint he used, is there a way I can find out?

Gaz
Old 03-09-2016, 04:39 AM   #4
REVERSiN
PC Perfectionist

Only by asking him mate. I sorry for you.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:23 PM   #5
burrows1980
Unwashed Member

Thought as much! oh well....

If I was to go down the safer route of a DA, such as DAS 6 Pro with the discount code off here, would that be suitable for removing the light sanding marks? depending on the compound I use..

I have noticed a few other small nibs on the paint that also need to be sanded. I have got a Electric Mirka Ceros DA but im guessing the rpm is way to fast variable speed of 4000 - 10000rpm

Gaz
Old 04-09-2016, 10:39 AM   #6
REVERSiN
PC Perfectionist

Nope your da will burn within seconds, a DA will do perfectly. Just refine to 2000 / 2500 for better results.

Some compounds can remove 1500 too like M105, aa for nibs i would rather use the blade method to scrap them off makes sanding easier and flatter.

If you go and sand it right away by hand you moght sand more of the surrounding area than the nib itself. Or you can use that pencil rubber tip with a sand paper to be precise!

Lookup on youtube tbere are many safe ways each to their own mate 😀 good luck

Old 04-09-2016, 01:04 PM   #7
burrows1980
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVERSiN View Post
Nope your da will burn within seconds, a DA will do perfectly. Just refine to 2000 / 2500 for better results.

Some compounds can remove 1500 too like M105, aa for nibs i would rather use the blade method to scrap them off makes sanding easier and flatter.

If you go and sand it right away by hand you moght sand more of the surrounding area than the nib itself. Or you can use that pencil rubber tip with a sand paper to be precise!

Lookup on youtube tbere are many safe ways each to their own mate 😀 good luck

Ahh cool, thanks for the advice mate. Would never of thought of scrapping the nibs off, makes sense. Ive got a decent set of H&L Dura Blocks for block sanding and thats the route I was going to go, glad you said about using the blade method.

I'll post back up with the results, going to do a bit of practise work of my 03 plate Transit connect, needs a bit of attention anyway

Gaz
Old 22-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #8
Paul.D
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Just a thought would it be worth trying a denim pad and say some 105 and see how that comes out first before wet sanding or would that not be harsh enough?
Paul.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 05:30 PM   #9
burrows1980
Unwashed Member

Are these the pads your referring to Paul? Click

I bought a Da from Clas Ohlson today finally back in stock online! Im going to be using Megs 105 & 205, was thinking about CG Hex pads orange and white.

Im a complete beginner with polishing so will try it out on my Transit first

Im concerned that the orange peel on the wing is so close to the curve of the panel, a denim pad will burn through?

Gaz
Old 28-11-2016, 11:05 PM   #10
burrows1980
Unwashed Member

So after much practice on the tranny decided to give the car a try. For my first go on a black car I think I did quite well! Washed and dried it first, then proceeded to attack it:

Bonnet before (bit of water spotting making it look worse)

After:

There's a few swirls left, I was nervous about applying too much pressure and machining too long.

The whole car is done and allscuffs and scratches are gone, orange peel still an issue, but I'm not confident enough to wet sand the car, tried it on the tranny and came up a treat, but don't fancy doing it on the Nissan.

Need to get more pads, pretty worn out these now. I did the spoiler last and applied medium pressure while using CG orange pad with 105, that came up the best tbh, don't think I applied enough pressure on the rest of the car.

Gaz
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burrows1980 For This Useful Post:
BillyT (29-11-2016), REVERSiN (05-12-2016), Simonrev (29-11-2016)