Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 23-11-2016, 11:19 AM   #1
MattOz
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Thumbs up 3M Rotary died - What next!

Hi All,

My trust 3M rotary died at the weekend. It's been through numerous bushes and bits over the years, so it's time to retire it.

My question is......."What next?"

Do I get another 3M, as it's a nice bit of kit, or go Festool, Rupes, Flex or something else I've not considered. I want it to be a rotary and not DA, as I have a DA already. Anyone got a recommendation?

Cheers
Matt
MattOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 12:03 PM   #2
Alan W
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,584 Times in 2,034 Posts
Garage
I can't see past my 5 year old Rupes LH18EN (now LH18ENS) and it's a very similar to the 3M machine you're retiring. The light weight of 1.9 Kg is a definite bonus when working on the vertical sides of a car.

Very reasonably priced as well and easily available for just under £200. Have a look for offers on Black Friday and you may get it even cheaper.

Alan W
Alan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 12:25 PM   #3
markcaughey
Washmitt Meister

Im in the same boat but think I'm going to switch to DA, had a shot of a Rupes Mk 2 and thats what I'm going for. Hopefully there will be some good deals on black Friday
markcaughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 01:54 PM   #4
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 3,113 Times in 1,822 Posts
Garage
Sorry to butt in, but I have the Rupes mark11 and a bloody good machine it is, but has anybody used the Kamikaze backing plate to give it more free spin and also the washer mod.
chongo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 02:06 PM   #5
rottenapple
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

My vote if staying with rotary would go to the flex pe14-2
rottenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 02:18 PM   #6
Alan W
Distinguished Detailer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
Sorry to butt in, but I have the Rupes mark11 and a bloody good machine it is, but has anybody used the Kamikaze backing plate to give it more free spin and also the washer mod.
There aren't many people using the Kamikaze Katana or Beast backing plates mainly due to the significant cost. The Katana backing plates are direct replacements, size wise, for the original Rupes backing plates. The Beast backing plates allow a smaller pad to be used and hence offer greater flexibility from a single machine. The downside is that the edge of the aluminium backing plate can do a lot of damage if accidentally it comes into contact with the paint. This doesn't happen with the original rubber backing plates.

The washer mod is only applicable to the original (Mk1) Rupes machines and not the Mk11 versions. Basically it moved the backing plate away from the shroud to stop it rubbing on it. The reduced friction created a bit more speed and less chance of the machine bogging down. However, it also meant that the backing plate took longer to slow down when the machine was stopped. It also invalidated the warranty.

Hope this helps.

Alan W

Last edited by Alan W; 23-11-2016 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 23-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #7
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 3,113 Times in 1,822 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
There aren't many people using the Kamikaze Katana or Beast backing plates mainly due to the significant cost. The Katana backing plates are direct replacements, size wise, for the original Rupes backing plates. The Beast backing plates allow a smaller pad to be used and hence offer greater flexibility from a single machine. The downside is that the edge of the aluminium backing plate can do a lot of damage if accidentally it comes into contact with the paint. This doesn't happen with the original rubber backing plates.

The washer mod is only applicable to the original (Mk1) Rupes machines and not the Mk11 versions. Basically it moved the backing plate away from the shroud to stop it rubbing on it. The reduced friction created a bit more speed and less chance of the machine bogging down. However, it also meant that the backing plate took longer to slow down when the machine was stopped. It also invalidated the warranty.

Hope this helps.

Alan W
Thanks Alan

I know they are expensive to buy, but do you think it would make a difference when it comes to correction work? Would I need to lower my speed on the Rupes or just use it at the same speed as before as for touching the paint with the edge of the backing plate, I don't think that would be a problem at all.

As for the first question, I would switch to the Rupes machine you have more scope for using different pads for cutting and polishing and you are less likely to not leave any hollowgrams when polishing especially on soft paint if used correctly. Maybe look out for some deals on Black Friday for the mark11
chongo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 06:03 PM   #8
MattOz
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Thanks All.

Black Friday deal is definitely something I'd be looking for. Have already found a new Flex PE12-4 for £280. Might check out the Rupes too.
MattOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 06:22 PM   #9
Sharpyyyyy
Sponge Jockey

I recommend Milwaukee buffers.
Sharpyyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 08:37 PM   #10
Alan W
Distinguished Detailer

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Alan

I know they are expensive to buy, but do you think it would make a difference when it comes to correction work?
I think they are just nicer to use. They (supposedly) make the machine slightly smoother and allow more 'feel' of the pad and paint due to the solid nature of them compared with the original Rupes backing plates. I think Rob Leys at Gleammachine is using one so perhaps pm Rob for his professional experience of them.

Quote:
Would I need to lower my speed on the Rupes or just use it at the same speed as before
No change in technique would be required.

Quote:
as for touching the paint with the edge of the backing plate, I don't think that would be a problem at all.
A few Autopians have been put off by this but if you're careful this shouldn't be an issue as you have said.

A Duetto with the smaller Beast backing plate would be a superb combination in my opinion and allow both sizes of Rupes pads to be used on the same machine.

Alan W