Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 11-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #11
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 3,652 Times in 2,116 Posts
Garage
Get yourself a PTG just to be on the safe side CYC do one, or look on eBay but if you decide not to get one then just start of with the least aggressive approach when it comes to polish and pads.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #12
Sawel
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahk86 View Post
Say I want to machine polish a bonnet using a DAS PRO PLUS with 15mm throw, what is the general rule of thumb on returning to this area again. How many times can you give an area the paint correction treatment before you have removed too much clear coat.
There is no general rule of thumb because it's impossible to tell how much clearcoat is left. You could compound an Audi/VW/BMW/Mercedes once and only remove 1-2 microns of paint. You could use a gentle polish on Japanese paint and remove the same amount of microns. This is because German paint is generally hard and it's much more difficult to remove the clearcoat. Japanese paint is generally soft and it's much easier to remove clearcoat.

Quote:
I've read the only way to truly know is to use a PTG, which one is good for someone who does not want to break the bank but needs something in their tool kit as a beginner, and also in terms of the readings when is it too low to even think about reaching for the compound?
Unless you want to spend a few thousand pounds on a PTG which will give you readings on all layers of a cars paint system, a basic PTG will only tell you how thick the entire paint system is. (Base layer, colour layer and clearcoat on most cars) The clearcoat in most cases would probably be between 30-50% of the total paint thickness. This is with factory paint and it will be a different situation with a respray job.

Any readings under 80 microns is where I'd probably draw the line at machine polishing. Perhaps a very gentle finishing polish with light pressure but it would depend on whether it was soft or hard paint.

Lots of folk on here (me included) use this PTG - http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=366306

It is very good for the price £80-£90 on Ebay and is accurate. I'd forget about the budget ones for £20-30 because they will be certifiably crap.
Sawel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ptg machine polishing