Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #21
Jimmy-Mac
Sponge Jockey

Yeah they are fun cars, word of advice poly bush everything lol tightens them up a treat as they are bushed from the factory with plastecine from the factory
Oh also if it's still on the standard divertor valve (plastic shi*e) get a forge one asap!!! Trust me even on a standard car the difference it makes is unbelievable, holds boost so much better. Also poly bush the dog bone mount too, this is a must do mod too
Jimmy-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy-Mac For This Useful Post:
Cookies (09-01-2017), GrantB5 (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #22
JMorty
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to JMorty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-Mac View Post
Yeah they are fun cars, word of advice poly bush everything lol tightens them up a treat as they are bushed from the factory with plastecine from the factory
Oh also if it's still on the standard divertor valve (plastic shi*e) get a forge one asap!!! Trust me even on a standard car the difference it makes is unbelievable, holds boost so much better. Also poly bush the dog bone mount too, this is a must do mod too
I can agree with all of these points.

I had the same, all be it the A3, and did all of this and it transformed the car.

Granted mine was on coilovers too but you get the idea.
JMorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:24 PM   #23
Smanderson117
Sponge Jockey

Looking good. I had a 1.8t A3 and basically the proper, **********, you must do it this way way I was told to go was:

SAI delete (easy to do)
N249 bypass (removes loads of pipework, improves throttle response slightly and gives a louder pshhhh)
S2000 air filter (paper filter with built in velocity stack, fits with a stepped piece of silicone andall for under 20 quid)
Larger TIP from either badger 5 or forge
Forge 007P (proper recirc valve not chav dump valve)
FMIC
Turbo if you can stretch that far

MAP

theres loads of support and mods for these engines as they're so widely used and have been around for donkeys now! enjoy bud
Smanderson117 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Smanderson117 For This Useful Post:
GrantB5 (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #24
Jimmy-Mac
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMorty View Post

Yeah stock suspension was shocking! I had an adjustable Koni kit on mine with Cupra R top mounts (stiffer than the other oem top mounts without being to stiff like poly bushed versions)
Jimmy-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:54 PM   #25
GrantB5

Quote:
DV is on the list for sure. I will be doing dog bone mount bushes and the actual bush under the gear gaitor together.

Once I have the TIP and a new MAF I will then start looking at polybushing the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMorty View Post
I can agree with all of these points.

I had the same, all be it the A3, and did all of this and it transformed the car.

Car will be having new suspension at some point in the near future for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smanderson117 View Post
Looking good. I had a 1.8t A3 and basically the proper, **********, you must do it this way way I was told to go was:

SAI delete (easy to do)
N249 bypass (removes loads of pipework, improves throttle response slightly and gives a louder pshhhh)
S2000 air filter (paper filter with built in velocity stack, fits with a stepped piece of silicone andall for under 20 quid)
Larger TIP from either badger 5 or forge
Forge 007P (proper recirc valve not chav dump valve)
FMIC
Turbo if you can stretch that far

MAP

theres loads of support and mods for these engines as they're so widely used and have been around for donkeys now! enjoy bud
I bought an SAI delete plate but it turns out the AGU doesn't have that system so I got a refund. I want to get rid of a load of vacuum pipes, I have ordered some 4mm vacuum pipe now but also want to look at the PCV system too.

Quote:
Yeah stock suspension was shocking! I had an adjustable Koni kit on mine with Cupra R top mounts (stiffer than the other oem top mounts without being to stiff like poly bushed versions)
Yeah stock suspension isn't great by any means.
GrantB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:55 PM   #26
GrantB5

So today I swapped my insurance over and sent off the logbook details online and taxed the car. Money disappearing before I know it. All for a good cause huh.

Today I ordered from TPS :

- Quantum 5w 40 FS Oil & Filter
- Oil Dipstick Tube
- Fuel Filter
- Pollen Filter
- Brake Booster Pipe (Vacuum) (Pictured Below)
- Interior Alarm Sensor Switch

Have also ordered NGK Iridium plugs from Awesome GTI, wasn't overly pleased with £7.00 postage so won't be ordering there again, didn't realise until after. Have also ordered some 4mm vacuum pipe and fancy clamps from Forge also.

I removed the engine cover today and also the flimsy battery coat, should have waited to take a picture until then really. I also noticed a vacuum pipe had tape around so I have ordered a replacement and left the tape on before I make anything worse.

Any AGU gurus out there, I don't really know how to explain it but the car almost feels slightly hesitant in low revs? It has a slight judder when in gear but not accelerating? I wouldn't even call it a judder it's quite minimal but annoying it doesn't just roll. I'm hoping the brake booster pipe helps if at all. Thought best starting point is a full service and replace any obvious hoses.

I still need to order a starter motor but I have spent a fair amount this month especially with getting paid before xmas and having to wait till Feb so need to hold some monies back.

Car will go on Vagcom this weekend also when I have some spare time at home. I have also found my camera charger after 3 or 4 weeks without it so I can finally take some better photos.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:15 PM   #27
JR1982

Garage
Not that mine is even close to being similar (diesel with dsg box) but I had gearbox problems with it not changing gear at the right times and hanging on to gears, it also felt hesitant in places and it turned out that the fuel filter had never been changed ever. As soon as it was swapped all my problems went away and its now loads quicker and cheaper to run.
JR1982 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #28
GrantB5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1982 View Post
Not that mine is even close to being similar (diesel with dsg box) but I had gearbox problems with it not changing gear at the right times and hanging on to gears, it also felt hesitant in places and it turned out that the fuel filter had never been changed ever. As soon as it was swapped all my problems went away and its now loads quicker and cheaper to run.
Well thats on my list along with a new clamp so hopefully that helps! I think this has been changed previously though. Sure it's in the mix of receipts but who knows.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrantB5 For This Useful Post:
s70rjw (24-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 08:44 AM   #29
JMorty

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to JMorty
It certainly sounds a bit like a vacuum leak...
JMorty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JMorty For This Useful Post:
GrantB5 (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 09:31 AM   #30
Disco Smudge
Washmitt Meister

Check the PCV valve. Give the throttle a blip and listen for air leaks on top of the engine. Parts are about £80
Disco Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Disco Smudge For This Useful Post:
GrantB5 (10-01-2017)