Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 08-01-2017, 09:35 PM   #31
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 3,979 Times in 2,359 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wish wash View Post
So are you going to machine polishing your car every time before waxing. I wouldn't want to machine polish it 3-4 times a year.
What I mean is your not going to apply a LSP if your paint is in sh.. state, so a polish either by machine or hand will get it to a standard that you are happy with.

This can be with a polish cleanser,cleaner with or without abrasives, or a polish with abrasive in it.
I didn't say anything about machine polishing every time you have to apply a wax or any other LSP, then it's up to you to make sure you look after the finish you have after that.
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #32
suds
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wish wash View Post
So are you going to machine polishing your car every time before waxing. I wouldn't want to machine polish it 3-4 times a year.
No need to machine polish before every wax. Wax adheres better to clean bare paint but if you are topping up a good coating of wax then just wash dry and apply
suds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:19 PM   #33
Blueberry
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,970 Times in 2,526 Posts
Garage
Can you convert me back to wax's

I love waxing. I find it so therapeutic. It's an absolute joy. I've used coatings in the past and still do on wheels and some cars. I believe there is a place for both but I just love the look of a waxed car.

I've got a couple of waxes with Si02 in them - Waxaddict Quartz and Fireball Fusion - both nice waxes too use on my soft paint. That's what I look for in a wax. Easy to apply and more importantly easy to buff. Both leave a great gloss to the paint and better still beading is excellent.

If you want to reapply wax every 3 months or so you could use a paint cleanser and decontaminate again before applying fresh wax. There is nothing wrong with adding a second layer of wax either. Ensures there even application.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blueberry For This Useful Post:
Ads_ClioV6 (08-01-2017), DrH (09-01-2017), stonejedi (02-02-2017), todds (10-01-2017), Welshquattro1 (08-01-2017), Yaro V (03-02-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 11:22 AM   #34
euge07
Orbital Oracle

I am a big fan of both and both have their place,

But there as just so many factors to consider, and there is no set winner so to speak,

For a car that is going to have a decontamination , re polish and top up I would go for a durable wax, others prefer a show wax etc

I will be using coatings on my own cars going forward as I am able to machine polish them and apply them inside my garage etc I also think they are amazing on wheels!

my sister in laws jeep was coated in gtechniq c1 & exo over 18months ago and is still beading and dirt just blasts off, they really are amazing
euge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:46 AM   #35
Jonny_R

Quote:
Originally Posted by suds View Post
No need to machine polish before every wax. Wax adheres better to clean bare paint but if you are topping up a good coating of wax then just wash dry and apply
+1 i tend to machine couple times a year.

In between that i top up my waxes whenever i fancy by wash, dry, quick detail wipe over and then top up
Jonny_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:00 AM   #36
Kevlar
PC Perfectionist

I switched to Gyeon MOHS+as 2 odd years ago I became a dad so before little one arrived I got our car ready and coated as I knew I wouldnt have time to keep the car clean and be waxing often and its really worked well, we sold that car a while after and i did the wifes new car with MOHS again and its still going well about 18 monthsin and it makes the weekly clean so, so much easier and it looks great at the end of the weekly wash.

I used to like waxes and I have used wax a few times on my own car since, but I have bought some more MOHS+ now ready for my next car which arrives in april.

So for me in my situation its worked well.
Kevlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:48 AM   #37
gibbo555

The debate rages on

I've been using coatings mostly in the last 5 years, interested in some of the comments surrounding wax providing better flake pop as I would say coatings achieve this more, but maybe that's just me.

I find applying Gyeon MOHS just as therapeutic as a wax. Guess the only difference is the smell, hard to beat the nice smell of a wax.

we can talk about the finish, gloss etc of LSPs til the cows come home, its all about the prep at the end of the day.
gibbo555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:05 AM   #38
Alan W
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,748 Times in 2,142 Posts
Garage
Another recommendation from me for Kamikaze ISM Coat which offers the best attributes of coatings and the look of a good wax. ISM Coat is probably the easiest coating I’ve ever applied so don’t let that put you off although the price might! ISM will last years, rather than months (18 months and counting on my TT), and can be topped with any wax should the need for some wax therapy overcome you. The sacrificial wax will give even greater durability to the ISM Coat and you could keep it in the family and use Kamikaze Infinity wax if you’re feeling really flush.

Alan W
Alan W is offline   Reply With Quote