Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:17 PM   #11
Rían P
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
Lovely. You must join the 75/ZT forum, there are some really knowledgeable folk on there. You mention the plenum chamber, search for the mod which allows you to check very easily.

My old 75, admittedly diesel Connie, is still around, showing 234000 miles currently.......

The flickering bulbs: I had this on mine, but I had fitted LED sidelight bulbs, which caused it, the previous owner may have done the same.

I remember cleaning the rear light seals, I treated them with silicon, which seemed to cure the leak.

HTH

Malcolm
Thanks Malcolm and aye I've already joined it! No messing about huh! Haha
But aye as you say, a knowledgeable bunch, and I've seen the spyhole mod, should make it much easier.

God almighty 234,000 miles is some going. The diesel must be a great engine in them, just a pure workhorse.

I'm going out now to check the lights again. I can't imagine an 87 year old man using LEDs haha but perhaps someone before him. I'll check the rears but the fronts are just standard 501s.

I did think about silicon but once I found the remanufactured seal on the 75 club, it seems a cleaner, possibly better job.
Rían P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:21 PM   #12
Rían P

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdon777 View Post
Use an old smoker Diesel Estate 75 at work as a delivery vehicle. Purchased for £1200 18 months ago. Get abused all day every day... Repairs so far: less than £400.

Not bad for 60,000 miles in 18 months.
That's cheap motoring alright! For stuff like that you can't go wrong. The estates are a brave size as well. Perfect for a delivery wagon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookies View Post
Lovely big motor Rían. Cant wait to see the updates!!

Cooks

Sent from my D6603
Thanks Cooks It is some bus hi haha I swear like, not many young boys driving 75's
But as I say, I'll keep this one more updated, the corsa one was kinda in bursts, but she's off the road now so will be updating that thread too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rían P For This Useful Post:
Cookies (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 03:40 PM   #13
dandam
Orbital Oracle

Rover 75s and Saabs seem to be one of the worlds hidden secrets, great value, well made and very often cheap as chips, especially for what you get.
dandam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dandam For This Useful Post:
Rían P (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 04:07 PM   #14
Rían P

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandam View Post
Rover 75s and Saabs seem to be one of the worlds hidden secrets, great value, well made and very often cheap as chips, especially for what you get.
Literally couldn't agree more! I don't know why more people don't buy them up because there are some real good cars out there. Even this model - Classic SE, a fairly basic model, is quite well equipped and still feels luxurious. Saabs, as you say are the same. You could pick up a real tidy one about 2004/5 for ~£2000, and by jove they're a solid motor.

Guess it's just another wonder of the world eh Dandam? Haha
Cookies (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 04:36 PM   #15
jumanji
Unwashed Member

Absolutely love it mate! refreshing to see a 75 in the hands of a young owner, my uncle had one before I could drive and I loved the thing. I believe it was the first car I was in that had dual climate control!

and dare I say it . . . I think deep red/maroon red is one of the best colours I have worked with to obtain a deep gloss (I'm sure others will disagree, but just what I have found )

best of luck with the new chariot and keep us updated
jumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jumanji For This Useful Post:
Rían P (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 06:10 PM   #16
Rían P

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
Absolutely love it mate! refreshing to see a 75 in the hands of a young owner, my uncle had one before I could drive and I loved the thing. I believe it was the first car I was in that had dual climate control!

and dare I say it . . . I think deep red/maroon red is one of the best colours I have worked with to obtain a deep gloss (I'm sure others will disagree, but just what I have found )

best of luck with the new chariot and keep us updated
Haha thank you lad! and I can see why you loved your Uncle's car! It must have been pretty high spec!

And I agree, a think this colour really responds well to a bit of love and attention. I can't wait to see how well it comes up with a drop of pre wax cleanser and wax. I mean it looks nice now, and that's without a DW regime applied!

Thanks Jumanji and I will! Got the Plenum cleared today, will get photos up later.
Cookies (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 06:16 PM   #17
JoeyTaffy93
Sponge Jockey

Lovely motor chap, I had a 2004 facelift MG ZT 1.8 turbo, was a lovely car to drive.. I got rid for an MG6 (regret this, now on to BMW's and much happier) and gave it to my dad, he used it for another 3 years before replacing just last year for a 2013 Fiesta (not a patch on the ZT). FYI I don't recommend an MG6 unless it's a bargain second hand buy!
JoeyTaffy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeyTaffy93 For This Useful Post:
Rían P (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 09:51 PM   #18
Rían P

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyTaffy93 View Post
Lovely motor chap, I had a 2004 facelift MG ZT 1.8 turbo, was a lovely car to drive.. I got rid for an MG6 (regret this, now on to BMW's and much happier) and gave it to my dad, he used it for another 3 years before replacing just last year for a 2013 Fiesta (not a patch on the ZT). FYI I don't recommend an MG6 unless it's a bargain second hand buy!
The ZT were definitely a sportier looking beast. Again sturdy big motors.
You always hear people saying 'buy newer motors, they're far superior, less risk of breakdown etc', though cars like the 75 serve the purpose, sometimes far better than modern 'equivalents'.

I'm sure your Dad would happily go back to the ZT!
Old 09-01-2017, 11:02 PM   #19
dandam
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rían P View Post
Literally couldn't agree more! I don't know why more people don't buy them up because there are some real good cars out there. Even this model - Classic SE, a fairly basic model, is quite well equipped and still feels luxurious. Saabs, as you say are the same. You could pick up a real tidy one about 2004/5 for ~£2000, and by jove they're a solid motor.
I managed to get a 100k 59 plate Saab 9-3 1.9 Diesel a few months ago for £3k, really clean and a full history - bargain
dandam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dandam For This Useful Post:
Rían P (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 11:12 PM   #20
Rían P

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandam View Post
I managed to get a 100k 59 plate Saab 9-3 1.9 Diesel a few months ago for £3k, really clean and a full history - bargain
Sure you couldn't wish for better! Tidy motor and as you say a bargain. Shows you there's plenty of good motors out there if you know where to look!

Tags
1.8 petrol, project, rover, rover 75, wax