Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Showroom Detailed something and want to show it off? Do it here... This is the place for you to show the world....

Old 04-08-2018, 08:49 PM   #1
DLGWRX02
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,436 Times in 965 Posts
Garage
My 2018 Nissan Leaf first wash

Finally got my new car, a Brand new Nissan Leaf Tekna, when I viewed it the day before collection it was in an absolutely minging state having been transported from Sunderland, to Wales then all the way over here to the East coast. The sales guy assured me they only use top qualified valets and it would be pristine for my collection on Friday. (And still tried to sell me the magical supagard £400!). So upon collection yes it looked clean but I only had a glance over the outside as the sales guy spent nearly an hour explaining all the bells and whistles inside.

Early start this morning outside at 5.30am, let the deep clean commence.

Starting off with a bh auto foam followed by a rinse and then Dooka wash. Paintwork was beading in places but it was not consistent, so I thought sod it! full decon and wipe down and see where we go from there.
I covered the car in Autosmart red7 fall out remover, and for a car that has a grand total of 26 miles on the clock I wasnít quite expecting what I found. I followed this up with a power rinse after a 5 minute dwell and then repeated this a further 3 times before no more bleed could be seen.

Second pass

Third pass and almost clear after 5 minutes.

Then after closer inspection found the lower of the front bumper and side sills covered in tar spots, so using my Alien Magic clay, and Nuru as a lube I set about removing this.

Remember this car had already been fully prepped by ĒqualifiedĒ professionals . After completing this the paint was not perfect but did not warrant my getting the machine out although I did find some RDS on the roof! I will live with this until the swirling gets more severe then set about it.

I followed up the clay with another wash and rinse, then tried out my recently won Autoglym UHD wax, now just to confirm although I own many waxes Iím definitely more a spray wax sealant guy, I donít very often break out the hard stuff so this is quite unknown territory for me. It was also just before noon when I started, in full sun! The wax applicator was a godsend having never had a puck style one before now (shall be investing in a few more) made it really simple to spread and evenly apply the wax. For the larger panels I worked it in over half then left to cure for about 10 mins before buffing off. Even in full sun this wax came straight off with very little effort and low dust, the only place I run into trouble was where I had obviously over applied the wax and it baked which meant some elbow grease was required (and I can still feel that now) and with quite a bit of dusting! (#selfinflicted)

To help get rid of the dust and give a little more pop I added a layer of Alien Magic Argon on the top. I then used my car pro D-lux and sealed the face and inners of the wheels being diamond cut I thought they may need all the help they can get, no pictures though battery on iPad then died.lol

But hereís the finished shots with some nice pearl flake pop

Tomorrow, the inside and under the bonnet.
DLGWRX02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DLGWRX02 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (04-08-2018), JR1982 (05-08-2018), nbray67 (04-08-2018), NeilG40 (04-08-2018), Soul boy 68 (09-08-2018), todds (10-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 08:54 PM   #2
TheNissanMan
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Stunning, love the Leaf in twin tone, a fantastic car to drive with toys a plenty! Great write up on the clean

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TheNissanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheNissanMan For This Useful Post:
DLGWRX02 (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 09:13 PM   #3
DLGWRX02

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNissanMan View Post
Stunning, love the Leaf in twin tone, a fantastic car to drive with toys a plenty! Great write up on the clean

Oh yes plenty of toys almost overwhelming.lol. The only thing I donít like so far is the chrome door handles, I so wish they done a black option. Also Iím thinking about de badging. Them zero emission and leaf badges I can see being a Mecca for trapped dirt and wax residue!.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:15 PM   #4
TheNissanMan
Washmitt Meister

Garage
There are a fair few, if you ever get stuck with any of the toys ping me a message. Pro pilot is a god send in heavy traffic as doesnít seem to ping as many hands free complaints under 10 mph...

The Following User Says Thank You to TheNissanMan For This Useful Post:
DLGWRX02 (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 09:26 PM   #5
NeilG40

Just wait till your next wash to see how little brake dust you get with electric cars
NeilG40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NeilG40 For This Useful Post:
DLGWRX02 (05-08-2018), TheNissanMan (04-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 12:11 AM   #6
Slick 77

Garage
Great work can't believe so much fallout on a new car!
Slick 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #7
JR1982

Thanked 1,143 Times in 918 Posts
Garage
Great write up bud, how are you finding it going from the Range Rover to the leaf?
JR1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #8
DLGWRX02

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1982 View Post
Great write up bud, how are you finding it going from the Range Rover to the leaf?
I forget to be honest I sold the Range Rover back in April, Iíve been in a E500 for the past 4 months. But straight awat I can say this is far easier to get in and out of, itís no slow coach of the mark, although limited to 89mph it gets there with no hold back, itís full acceleration from 0 to 89. Letís just say a few people who have popped in for a test came out with very different opinions. One said it felt like a rollercoaster how it picked up.

The biggest and hardest thing to get used to is noise or lack of. More importantly Iíve had 3 pedestrians walk out in front of me so far and yes the self breaking does work.lol. The car does emit a high pitch noise below I think 40 maybe wrong may be slightly higher but I think most people who have iPods or mps stuck in there lugholes all day canít hear it.
The Following User Says Thank You to DLGWRX02 For This Useful Post:
JR1982 (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 10:11 AM   #9
wish wash

Certainly looks a lot nicer than the previous leaf. What's the warranty stance on this then. Do you own the batteries or lease them. How long are the batteries covered for.
wish wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:25 AM   #10
TheNissanMan
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wish wash View Post
Certainly looks a lot nicer than the previous leaf. What's the warranty stance on this then. Do you own the batteries or lease them. How long are the batteries covered for.

Batteries are all owned on the new ones with no option to lease. The warranty is 3 years/60k for the mechanical items and battery warranty of 8 years/100k... would never worry about the battery to be honest, C&C Taxis in Truro retired their first 24kWh Leaf at over 255,000 miles with only one bar of health gone from the battery. There is no degradation to range or charging abilities until you lose three...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheNissanMan For This Useful Post:
Cookies (05-08-2018), DLGWRX02 (05-08-2018)