Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 19-10-2018, 11:50 PM   #231
JoranRaven
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Started to put the various pieces of the xenon kit together in preparation for tomorrow, more boxes than I have had in the past but I’m sure it will be fine! The ballast is also much slimmer than normal:

JoranRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #232
JoranRaven
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Spent a couple of hours with the car this morning, first port of call was to get rid of the warning light for the failed NS headlight.

Fitted the new pair of xenon HID kits to be left with this:

Much better, no light on the dash now either! They are 5K, although they do look a little blue in the picture, will see what they're like on the next dark drive!

Next was the old CD changer section of the boot, as it has been removed it leaves it as a large void:

Bought 2 trays from BMW that fill the void (remove the carpet side panel and attached where the CD changer normally lives, leaving:

Unfortunately they're not quite large enough to hold my box of gloves, but better than a gaping hole and I am sure I will find a use for them at some point!

Next I moved onto the upper radiator hose, the only main component of the cooling system I have not yet replaced, here you can see why I needed to replace it:

Was a nice and simple job, here the new one is in place:

The bay definitely needs a clean but I gave the areas I worked in a quick wipe over.

The final part of the day was when this came up:

5k miles since the last oil change, so headed down to ECP with their weekend discount code and got this:

Here the oil is being drained:

Not much point showing the process of changing oil etc. the filter was darkened as expected but still very much rigid etc. On the next 5k I will also change the air and microfilter.

It was quite a productive morning, I am still awaiting some other bits and bobs which I can use for the next few things to be done to the car! Hopefully a full brake fluid change will happen shortly along with the steering rack and the union joint attached to it

Oh I did 'bleed' the coolant, well no air seemed to get in anyway but I did the process to be sure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoranRaven For This Useful Post:
slim_boy_fat (20-10-2018), Starbuck88 (25-10-2018)
Old 21-10-2018, 11:07 AM   #233
JoranRaven
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Got the trims out of the packaging, here they are compared, evidently different:

The plan was to paint these and make them gloss, but the black finish on these feels almost like rubber, will have to have a think and a play to see how to get them to a gloss finish! Unfortunately they’re a single piece so I cannot just transfer the gaskets
The Following User Says Thank You to JoranRaven For This Useful Post:
Starbuck88 (25-10-2018)
Old 25-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #234
JoranRaven
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Did some work on the car yesterday after a drive up to Peterborough, which wasn’t without event (more on that further down).

With the traction control issue still being intermittent I turned my attention to the brake fluid, decided to go for a flush, despite it being less than 2 years old...

When I removed the cap this is what I saw:

It may be hard to see, but the fluid was barely fluid, it seems to have sort of congealed and become much thicker than it should be! Not a good sight!

Decided to strip down the cap to be cleaned:

Managed to get it to 4 individual pieces that meant I could clean the entire unit and make sure it didn’t contaminate new fluid with old hunk:

Decided to push a whole flush through one calliper first then move into the other callipers, it was easy to identify when it happened because this is the old fluid from the first calliper (and the flush) you can see the colour gradient!

There was little ‘bits’ in the fluid too, put nearly 1.5l of fluid through in the end and it ran almost clear, the same colour as the fluid used to replace!

I also adjusted the handbrake, and carried on fault funding for the camera, couldn’t find the source although it looks like a communication issue with the car...

Now for the event on the trip up:

EML got good mpg as I drove very sedately to the destination, no effect felt in the car. Drove back without issue, then plugged it in when I got home and got this:

Bummer, but it ran fine so was sure it would be a lambda... jump ahead to this morning, started the car up, rich smell of fuel, lumpy idle and a clear rattle... drove the car to work and it ran like an absolute dog! The rattle sounds like it could be the cat itself...

Going to the garage after work to confirm and then look for a replacement, the parts is over £1,000 from BMW so that’s off of the cards!

Also want to confirm the part number as there are 2 on realoem so will help me narrow down what I am looking for if it is indeed the cat!

Last edited by JoranRaven; 25-10-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 25-10-2018, 06:20 PM   #235
Starbuck88
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,692 Posts
Garage
I know you say there is a rattle, deffo check before spending out on cats.

Over fuelling could be lean fuel trim due to a vacuum leak, CCV system, bad lambdas etc.

My E39 with the M54 3.0 engine is overfuelling, correct a bit with a new cam sensor but I know my CCV is bad.

Check the vacuum pressure by pulling off the oil cap with engine running, it takes a lot of effort to pull mine off as the CCV is causing too much vacuum.

Also DISA Valve can rattle but it'd sound different to an exhaust catalyst rattle.
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #236
aka.eric
Washmitt Meister

Aftermarket parts (not the same quality,granted),but are slightly cheaper!....

https://www.eurocarparts.com/catalytic-converter

O2 sensor amongst other things also gives that code
aka.eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 07:46 PM   #237
JoranRaven
Orbital Oracle

Garage
No idea what the rattle was, but it is fixed! Ignition coil on cylinder one was the culprit! The rough running caused something to rattle but that has gone too...

Here is the offending item, £29.95 later and 2 minutes of actual fixing:

Light turned off when I got home, it runs fine now, will see if the light returns!

As I pulled out of the garage the traction light returned
Starbuck88 (25-10-2018)
Old 25-10-2018, 07:46 PM   #238
JoranRaven
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka.eric View Post
Aftermarket parts (not the same quality,granted),but are slightly cheaper!....

https://www.eurocarparts.com/catalytic-converter

O2 sensor amongst other things also gives that code
Thanks for that, hopefully won’t need it ever
Old 25-10-2018, 07:47 PM   #239
JoranRaven
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck88 View Post
I know you say there is a rattle, deffo check before spending out on cats.

Over fuelling could be lean fuel trim due to a vacuum leak, CCV system, bad lambdas etc.

My E39 with the M54 3.0 engine is overfuelling, correct a bit with a new cam sensor but I know my CCV is bad.

Check the vacuum pressure by pulling off the oil cap with engine running, it takes a lot of effort to pull mine off as the CCV is causing too much vacuum.

Also DISA Valve can rattle but it'd sound different to an exhaust catalyst rattle.
Thanks for the pointers, I’ve changed most of those, with exception to the lambdas! Thankfully all seems well once more
Starbuck88 (25-10-2018)
Old 25-10-2018, 09:50 PM   #240
Starbuck88
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,692 Posts
Garage
Too right, a coil is a result really, not much digging needed
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote