Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Regional Groups & Meets > England > Midlands
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
johnnyguitar
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Leicester(shire) folks, care to help a newb? DA polishing and foam info.

Hello,

I'm John and I'm new - I've posted in the intro section, but I thought I could put some more detail (pardon the pun) here.

After lurking here for a while I have come to the conclusion that, despite my best efforts, I could do more to keep my car clean.
I have bought some products and am going to continue cleaning by hand for now, but am interested to see a DA polisher in action and attempt to learn how to use one with a view to buying a G220 in the future.

If any kind souls out there have a DA polisher and would care to show me what they do, how to use them and let me have a go - on my car naturally - I would be very grateful, especially if it's somebody who knows how to use one and can fix whatever I manage to feck up!

Likewise, I am interested to see what foam does and how effective it is. I have a crap Halfords pressure washer from back in the day but will have a new Nilfisk PW by the end of today.

What I would like to learn to do is how to remove (some of) the defects from my car and keep it clean. I'm not looking for a one off, but some understanding of the process - there is LOTS of very useful info on this site, but no substitute for seeing and doing - so I can repeat the process in future on mine and my wife's cars.

Anyway, if you can help, let me know and we can talk more.
Cheers
John
johnnyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
Doc
Orbital Oracle

Hi John,

IMHO your best bet would be to join one of the many detailing courses being offered by people on these forums, for a small amount of money you get vast amounts of experience from more than just one person and expert advice that you can take home with you.

With regards to foam there is nothing much to learn, the subjective bit is which one to use, do a search and read the endless topics available on the subject
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
johnnyguitar

Garage
Thanks Doc,
That was kind of my plan but the only course I have found so far that's relatively local is pretty much fully subscribed with only a couple of reserve places in July.

I was looking to learn something a bit sooner and would be very appreciative of good advice and know-how from somebody who's already done what I am looking to do.

Plus, I guess I thought I may get more objective opinons and views from those that have been in my position and have tried lots of different things and techniques and found one that works for them, although I appreciate I may be able to learn different techniques from a course.

If there is a course local to the East Mids happening in the near future, I would be interested to know about it.
Old 26-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Goodfella36

Thanked 2,255 Times in 1,235 Posts
well if your ever near shrewsbury for the day i dont mind helping you out at all
Goodfella36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
johnnyguitar

Garage
Cheers man, much obliged.
Now, where's me map?
Old 26-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
johnnyguitar

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyguitar View Post
Hello,

Likewise, I am interested to see what foam does and how effective it is. I have a crap Halfords pressure washer from back in the day but will have a new Nilfisk PW by the end of today.
Oh - and as of now, I have a shiny new pressure washer!
Old 26-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
Matt.

Thanked 1,027 Times in 927 Posts
Hi John, if your interested in a machine polishing course Dave KG is running quite a few. There only at Stoke-On-Trent, and if you read the thread, some cracking reveiws. Im booked in on the 27th June. Cant wait :thumb IIRC, its only £65. Get your name down
Matt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
johnnyguitar

Garage
Yeah I do want to get onto one of Dave's polishing courses, but like I said they're all full except for reserve places at the end of July. I've read his guide so I'll probably end up buying a polisher and having a go anyway.
Old 26-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
MeganeChick
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattastra View Post
Hi John, if your interested in a machine polishing course Dave KG is running quite a few. There only at Stoke-On-Trent, and if you read the thread, some cracking reveiws. Im booked in on the 27th June. Cant wait :thumb IIRC, its only £65. Get your name down
yeah i was going to suggest the above too - Im down for one of the July dates but am a complete machine polishing noob!
MeganeChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
Lump
CC GWC VAQ-33

Garage
where do you live ?
Lump is offline   Reply With Quote