Detailing World Forum banner

My holy grail - ceramic coating friendly filler?

7K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Willy599 
#1 ·
Does the above exist? I would like to apply a ceramic coating to benefit from it's 'self cleaning' (sheeting) property and help with the maintenance wash through the winter. My understanding is that best practice with applying ceramic coatings is for defects in the clear coat to be rectified through machine polishing prior to application. However as I don't yet have either a machine polisher, nor the skills to use one successfully, I had dismissed the option of applying a ceramic coating.... but then I saw a thread discussing a product called Essence by CarPro. I hadn't heard of it before so I had a look - and the description states that it polishes, glazes and most importantly fills and acts as a priming layer for applying a ceramic coating!!

To be specific, for me using Essence by hand it's not recommended to apply a full ceramic, but they recommend their Reload product which I guess falls into the category of 'light ceramic'. (Due to it's excellent reviews I was considering using TAC Systems Moonlight which is also a 'light ceramic' but suspect that as it's oil based it wouldn't work with the fillers in Essence).

It this holy grail real? :D

Is CarPro Essence a unique product or are there similar offerings from other manufacturers?

Does anyone have any experience of using Essence (or similar) as a filler prior to applying a ceramic coating?

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for taking the time to reply stangalang

I assume your answer is to the question of whether this particular holy grail exists :D

Can I ask if this is based on your experience of trying this/similar products? For you as a professional detailer and for your customers looking for the best possible correction and protection, the idea of filling and not correcting before applying a 'proper' ceramic coating would be a complete anathema!

But for me as a hobbyist, looking for minor swirl marks to be hidden and perhaps 6-9 months of 'ceramic like' protection (topping up with something like Wetcoat) - would it still be a "nope" from you?

#4 ·
There is no holy grail, its that simple.

Too much is made of the "filling" capabilities of essence, which are minimal. As its a machine primer polish, you get the best results from working it thoroughly with a machine polisher. Might as well actually polish the car given you are going through the same motions.

You cant get around simple mechanics. 99.9% of coatings have a physical bond. If they are physically holding onto a separate product that has sub standard durability thats exactly how your coating will perform, sub standard

#5 ·
Too much is made of the "filling" capabilities of essence, which are minimal.
Thanks for that, that's just the sort of info I'm looking for based on peoples experience of using the product.

You cant get around simple mechanics. 99.9% of coatings have a physical bond. If they are physically holding onto a separate product that has sub standard durability thats exactly how your coating will perform, sub standard
Couldn't agree more. I think perhaps we are considering this from different terms of reference. In no way do I think this 'holy grail' has the potential to come anywhere near close to replicating a full correction and application of a full ceramic coating. Just thought it might allow me to experience some of the characteristics of a ceramic coating without machine polisher correction.

#12 ·
The most effective 'Holy Grail', would be something like Filler, a Ceramic Wax and then regularly maintained with Gyeon Wetcoat or other hydrophilic coating.

The thing with ceramic coatings is they last a very long time! So you if you coat swirls etc you keep swirls for a long time.

As the old adage goes "If you're going to do something, do it right."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.