Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 22-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
NornIron
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

TAC System Quartz Shine - Mini Review

As one of the winners in the 12 Days of Christmas draw, I finally got a chance a few weeks ago to do a little prep on a runabout, and trial the TAC Sysytem Quartz Shine.

First thoughts? Trepidation! I've been a fan of Optimum products for a long time and the only coating I had used previously was Opti-Coat 2.0, which I find easy to work with. I'd researched Quartz Shine as much as possible before application, and was only concerned about it's relatively quick flash off and curing times. Incidentally, I must be honest and say the directions included with the product aren't great

I worked one panel at a time, with the larger panels split into smaller areas. The first issue I had was the suede applicator pads... I really couldn't get used to them, and tried a make-up applicator pad, before settling on a soft foam applicator pad. Application was straight forward, covering each panel twice with perpendicular strokes, then buffing with a suede microfibre.

No issues here, although I found changing to a clean face of MF twice on every panel was needed to eliminate streaking; this may be due to the foam pad delivering more product than a suede applicator?

After curing for 24 hours, I actually repeated the application, just to ensure full coverage... in all I would estimate a total of 15mls of the 50ml bottle have been used.

Thoughts?

Firstly, I found Quartz Shine more intimidating to use than Opti-Coat 2.0, however this may be down to less familiarity with the product and the lack of clear directions.

Secondly, whilst Quartz Shine doesn't add (IMO) a great deal visually to the appearance of the paintwork, it makes a significant difference to the appearance and finish of black plastic trim!

Thirdly, with the car having covered almost 400 miles since application, mainly in wet conditions, when washing it today it was significantly cleaner than I had expected. This leads me to assume the water / dirt repellency is very good.

So here's a couple of pics of the end result:

Thanks for looking
NornIron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NornIron For This Useful Post:
AaronGTi (06-11-2018), Blackmondie (22-08-2015), Brian1612 (06-11-2018), chrisc (22-08-2015), DIESEL DAVE (23-08-2015), ronwash (23-08-2015), streaky (06-11-2018), wylie coyote (22-08-2015)
Old 22-08-2015, 09:40 PM   #2
wylie coyote

Thanked 1,106 Times in 911 Posts
Good honest review, thanks Norn. Final finish looks good.
wylie coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wylie coyote For This Useful Post:
NornIron (22-08-2015)
Old 22-08-2015, 09:44 PM   #3
Blackmondie

Garage
Thanks for the review.
I would suspect that the foam applicator doesn't release the product evenly. Little pressure change may change how much product is applied.
Blackmondie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blackmondie For This Useful Post:
NornIron (22-08-2015)
Old 22-08-2015, 11:35 PM   #4
Alex L
Distinguished Detailer

Its a great allround product and its hopefully going to be the longest lasting trim product ive tried. When I get a chance im going to get the wheels off and use Shine on the arch liners and see how it fairs.

If you want to add something to the looks definitely try Quartz Max or Water Glsss.
imho Water Glass is as good in the looks department as Zaino Z8.
Alex L is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex L For This Useful Post:
NornIron (23-08-2015)
Old 06-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #5
FalconRider
Unwashed Member

Hi. I know I am replying to a very old post, but can you comment on the durability of the Coating? How long did it last on your VW?
FalconRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #6
Yellow Dave

Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,133 Posts
Garage
I used TAC Systems power plus a few weekends ago. Having used the make up pads for a long time with gtechniq coatings I really don't like the foam block wrapped in the micro suede. It makes it feel like it really drags but it does ensure a nice thin and consistent layer.

I found using migliore coating, they only provide the foam pad. Applying the coating directly to this makes it much nicer to spread but it can lay it on a bit thick.

Well maintained I've seen in excess of 18months from most coatings.
Yellow Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:28 PM   #7
In2detailing
DW Sponsor

Thanked 1,516 Times in 674 Posts
Thank you for the write up.
With Regards to the suede, I recommend you try our applicator block with microsuede face, I prefer them.

I am going to share a secret closely guarded by the gloss gods......shine topped with moonlight. I say no more apart from #OHMYGLOSS

Imran

Discount Code DW10
In2detailing is offline   Reply With Quote