Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 27-08-2016, 06:20 PM   #141
sata
Washmitt Meister

Just out of curiosity, what sort/size compressor and what make of spraygun are you using in your homebrewed sprayshop... ?????

Excellent work and attention to detail.... can't wait to see the finished item.... going to look fabulous.....

rgds

Sata
sata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sata For This Useful Post:
skyegtb (27-08-2016)
Old 27-08-2016, 09:06 PM   #142
skyegtb
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by sata View Post
Just out of curiosity, what sort/size compressor and what make of spraygun are you using in your homebrewed sprayshop... ?????

Excellent work and attention to detail.... can't wait to see the finished item.... going to look fabulous.....

rgds

Sata
Hello. I use 2 x 230V / 13 Amp compressors (run off standard UK plugs) connected together with the pressure switches set to activate simultaneously. They are both Sip 3HP compressors, one is 150 litres and the other is 50 litres. I also have a 50 air tank connected to the system aswell which feeds the booth. The total CFM combined with both compressors running is around 26CFM and FAD is 17CFM. This is more than enough to run a HVLP gun and air mask simultaneously with no issues. For guns I use a cheapo 'Fast Mover' for primer, a Devilbiss GTI for base coats and single stage finishes and I also have a Devilbiss Gti Pro Lite specifically for clear-coat. If you look at page 14 I put the full details of the spray gun set-up for the green paint there.

Last edited by skyegtb; 28-08-2016 at 08:53 AM.
skyegtb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyegtb For This Useful Post:
Cookies (20-09-2016)
Old 20-09-2016, 07:10 PM   #143
skyegtb
Washmitt Meister

Well, it's been almost a month since my last update but glad to report some very big progress has been made. I shifted the painted doors, tailgate, bonnet and sunroof panel from my booth and started working on the car shell. Much like the doors there were a number of dings and small areas of corrosion to attend to, and I fixed some defects in the front wings from the last time I painted them in cellulose paint (cracks and shrinkage in the paint) – one of the many reasons I chose to ditch ever using cellulose again! Same as before the painting process was to do the repairs then flat the entire car back with 400 grit. 2 coats of Jotun epoxy mastic were applied to everything then a couple of days later I flatted that all back with more 400 grit. Next was 2 coats of black primer which was again flatted back with 400 grit then 600 grit to give a smooth even surface for the top coats. There was a LOT of work in doing this and I took my time with it so as to not lose patience with it. When the car was ready for top coats I first chose to paint the roof - I am doing this car 2 tone: I am doing the roof and bodykit in Audi Ebony Pearl Black and the rest in the Metallic Green colour. Anyway, the roof got 2 coats of solvent basecoat followed by 2 coats of Max Meyer clear coat. The finish was really nice but as usual I got a fair few dust particles in the finish that will need attending to further down the line. When the roof was cured I decided to take the car out of the booth to give both it and the booth a good clean as I believed the dust I got in the roof was residue from previous sanding. When the car was back inside I re-masked the whole thing again and finally got the green painted on the rest of the car body and inside the boot. I painted 3 medium wet coats of the green as I didn't want to spray it too wet on the vertical surfaces I was painting here. Anyway, the results were very good in my opinion, hardly any dust (for a change) and a pretty much perfect off the gun finish. I'm not planning on doing much more to this paint apart from a very slight de-nib here and there.

So, with the car painted I still have a ton to do. In no particular order:
Re-assemble the doors, tailgate and bonnet and fit to the car.
Restore the roof lining panel and re-fit. This is a big job as it is in very poor condition indeed and will need a lot of repair work and soaking in glue to get it to stay together. Not looking forward to that job at all!
Refurbish the dashboard and plastidip it (it is full of cracks). Do the same for the other black plastic interior trim.
Prep and paint the bumpers, bodykit, whaletail spoiler, Carlsson arches, vent covers, mirror covers and sill covers etc.
Decide what seats I will fit to the car - I have a near immaculate 5 door Buffalo Leather Interior that would be fine, or I could go for a custom interior using some seats I have from an old Subaru Legacy Twin Turbo I had years ago. I will need to see if there is any way these can be modified to fit first though.
Fit the lights, wire in a stereo and speakers.
Finally it will be case of fitting the rest of the interior and hoping I can remember where everything goes - it's been quite a few years since I stripped this car down.
Oh, and get the glass back in. I will use a local windscreen company to fit the front and rear screens.
Probably there is a lot more than that, but that’s all I can think of at the moment!

Here are the pictures:

Last edited by skyegtb; 01-08-2018 at 02:29 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to skyegtb For This Useful Post:
Cookies (20-09-2016), dubb (08-11-2016), percymon (18-11-2016), sata (20-09-2016), t_zetec (20-09-2016)
Old 20-09-2016, 08:15 PM   #144
sata
Washmitt Meister

That's superb work you've done there fella,

Just out of interest( and for others who may well be thinking the same) would it possible for you to give us the run down on the spraygun(s) and compressor set up that your using to achieve these results.... I am curious as I am sure others are...

rgds

Sata
sata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sata For This Useful Post:
skyegtb (20-09-2016)
Old 20-09-2016, 08:17 PM   #145
M3simon
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Great work mate.
M3simon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M3simon For This Useful Post:
skyegtb (20-09-2016)
Old 20-09-2016, 08:35 PM   #146
Stu Mac

Amazing....
Stu Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stu Mac For This Useful Post:
skyegtb (20-09-2016)
Old 20-09-2016, 08:44 PM   #147
Forsh

Garage
WOW!

just caught up with the updates - last time I looked you'd just finished the Audi - subscribed now though

I love the way this era of Saabs were engineered - I had a "GM" Saab, glad to be rid of it!

Like the two tone, colours complement each other and just looks 'right'

Gun finish is FAB!

Forsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forsh For This Useful Post:
skyegtb (20-09-2016)
Old 20-09-2016, 08:57 PM   #148
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 5,078 Times in 3,713 Posts
Garage
Absolutely love saabs. They were literally built like tanks and completely over engineered. Can't wait to see yours finishes as you're doing some stunning work there buddy.

Keep it up.

Cooks

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Cookies is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
skyegtb (20-09-2016)
Old 20-09-2016, 11:05 PM   #149
skyegtb
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
That's superb work you've done there fella,

Just out of interest( and for others who may well be thinking the same) would it possible for you to give us the run down on the spraygun(s) and compressor set up that your using to achieve these results.... I am curious as I am sure others are...

rgds

Sata
Hi there and thanks again. I did already answer your question a few weeks ago in one of the posts above, but here it is again:

Quote:

rgds

Sata
Hello. I use 2 x 230V / 13 Amp compressors (run off standard UK plugs) connected together with the pressure switches set to activate simultaneously. They are both Sip 3HP compressors, one is 150 litres and the other is 50 litres. I also have a 50 air tank connected to the system aswell which feeds the booth. The total CFM combined with both compressors running is around 26CFM and FAD is 17CFM. This is more than enough to run a HVLP gun and air mask simultaneously with no issues. For guns I use a cheapo 'Fast Mover' for primer, a Devilbiss GTI for base coats and single stage finishes and I also have a Devilbiss Gti Pro Lite specifically for clear-coat. If you look at page 14 I put the full details of the spray gun set-up for the green paint there.

Last edited by skyegtb; 20-09-2016 at 11:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to skyegtb For This Useful Post:
sata (22-09-2016)
Old 20-09-2016, 11:11 PM   #150
wrxmania

Garage
Super work.
wrxmania is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wrxmania For This Useful Post:
skyegtb (20-09-2016)