Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Showroom Detailed something and want to show it off? Do it here... This is the place for you to show the world....

Old 04-12-2017, 12:23 PM   #21
ttc6
Sponge Jockey

Progress update.

GT I2, VP Bilberry, BH AF, 100:1 Surfex, BH AW.

Clean (kinda):

Roof has come up well, but some shiny bits from where it's been folded:

Some work to be done on the window, inside and out. Scratches and internal cack:

Scratch in the headlight:

General state of the wheels. Hope I can get away without refinishing them:

General state of the arches. Good but the fronts are just starting to bubble. Will have to catch these sooner rather than later. Plenty of dirt / rubber / tar / etc. but should all clean up well:

Paint on the body is good. It has been kept clean. Usual swirls to sort but should be quite easy on a smooth shape like this. Front bumper has been sprayed poorly, see small crack in the middle. General stone chips and a few marks, but what would a sports car be without a battle scar or two?

Some very stubborn cack on the rear bumper I can't shift. Not sure what it is other than an accumulation of many years' road dirt. Surfex and a brush didn't touch it. Wash mitt came away from it clean. Will try a stronger concentration but beyond that not sure where to go with it. Don't really want to get the clay straight on there. Any ideas anyone?

Exhaust and trim needs some work:

Interior is really, very, good indeed. Just a bit of wear to the drivers' mat and some scuffs under the drivers' side dash:

Cheers!
ttc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:46 AM   #22
G105ALY
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttc6 View Post
Cheers mate, nice looking car you had there. The thing with the cost of ongoing maintenance on this, is that it's eclipsed by the lack of depreciation. With the cost of the loan to buy the F20, as well as the hit in value over 2.5 years, we could have bought a whole extra Boxster with change. Plus the fact that we're tied into main dealer servicing on the BM which isn't exactly cheap. As for whether we use it over winter, we'll see how it goes - but again it was cheap enough that we can afford a winter car.
Yep, your are correct ref depreciation. I bought mine for £24k in 2008 with 14k on the clock. I sold it in 2016 for £11k with 50k on, which is pretty good really. I did have a few nightmares though, such as the ECU failing due to water ingress when the roof drain holes got blocked with ice. Make sure you clean these regularly buddy!
G105ALY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to G105ALY For This Useful Post:
ttc6 (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 10:33 AM   #23
ttc6
Sponge Jockey

Check, I'll add them to the list. Cheers.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #24
RaceGlazer
Approved Trader

Thanked 1,313 Times in 931 Posts
Garage
ttc6 - maybe take the back number plate off to machine away that dark stain ?

On mine, I've cleaned the drainage area where the roof stows but there appear to be, according to the parts diagram, some kidney shaped bowls with the drain holes that cause the front footwell/ECU to get wet.
Question: how do you gain access as they appear to be low down by the rollover bar ?

Impressed with your progress, mine got its second wash and proper clean of the gutters round the luggage areas, interior is now spot on apart from the seats (minor portion of the interior...). Brought it to work again today...

www.raceglaze.co.uk
www.morethanpolish.com
www.carcovershop.co.uk
RaceGlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:50 PM   #25
G105ALY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceGlazer View Post
ttc6 - maybe take the back number plate off to machine away that dark stain ?

On mine, I've cleaned the drainage area where the roof stows but there appear to be, according to the parts diagram, some kidney shaped bowls with the drain holes that cause the front footwell/ECU to get wet.
Question: how do you gain access as they appear to be low down by the rollover bar ?

Impressed with your progress, mine got its second wash and proper clean of the gutters round the luggage areas, interior is now spot on apart from the seats (minor portion of the interior...). Brought it to work again today...
I used to move the roof into a semi-open position and you then see the rear drain holes. Clean any leaves, crud etc and then run an open hose at very low pressure (or pour a jug of water) down the holes. If it runs out of the bottom under the sill then they are clear. My issue came when I’d used the car at work for a week at a hotel. It had been snowing, icy etc and they got blocked. Porsche charged me £1400 to fix it (£200 for the ECU)!
G105ALY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #26
RaceGlazer
Approved Trader

Thanked 1,313 Times in 931 Posts
Garage
Thanks

I did this and cleared out everything I could see with an airline. Will check again when its warm enough to put the roof down

www.raceglaze.co.uk
www.morethanpolish.com
www.carcovershop.co.uk
RaceGlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:57 PM   #27
joe_con19
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttc6 View Post
Progress update.

GT I2, VP Bilberry, BH AF, 100:1 Surfex, BH AW.

Clean (kinda):

Roof has come up well, but some shiny bits from where it's been folded:

Some work to be done on the window, inside and out. Scratches and internal cack:

Scratch in the headlight:

General state of the wheels. Hope I can get away without refinishing them:

General state of the arches. Good but the fronts are just starting to bubble. Will have to catch these sooner rather than later. Plenty of dirt / rubber / tar / etc. but should all clean up well:

Paint on the body is good. It has been kept clean. Usual swirls to sort but should be quite easy on a smooth shape like this. Front bumper has been sprayed poorly, see small crack in the middle. General stone chips and a few marks, but what would a sports car be without a battle scar or two?

Some very stubborn cack on the rear bumper I can't shift. Not sure what it is other than an accumulation of many years' road dirt. Surfex and a brush didn't touch it. Wash mitt came away from it clean. Will try a stronger concentration but beyond that not sure where to go with it. Don't really want to get the clay straight on there. Any ideas anyone?

Exhaust and trim needs some work:

Interior is really, very, good indeed. Just a bit of wear to the drivers' mat and some scuffs under the drivers' side dash:

Cheers!
A light machine polish should take they marks off once you get the number plate off

& some britemax twins on they tips maybe with some fine steel wool
joe_con19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #28
James_R

Nice update ttc6
James_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #29
ttc6
Sponge Jockey

Thanks all. Going to have a look at the roof drains this weekend. Not been out much recently due to the weather, perhaps we're being too soft on it. May have a pop at machining the rear bumper too as it’s bugging me.

Have also ordered some sealant for the soft top and rear window, should get that done.

I had wondered in the Britemax Twins were the right thing for the exhaust and surround, as I had assumed they were anodised black. I think however, after thorough googling that they are just filthy! Forgot to upload a picture of the calipers though, these are anodised:

Old 07-12-2017, 08:48 PM   #30
joe_con19
Washmitt Meister

The exhaust probably just has never been cleaned but when you clean it it will probably have corroded the finish. Should make it look a bit better though
joe_con19 is offline   Reply With Quote