Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 14-07-2017, 12:36 PM   #101
Wardo_S17WRD
Unwashed Member

Top work so far mate, looking forward to the next update
Wardo_S17WRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #102
gibbo555
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Don't know how i missed this, but some job on the mini lad, love a good barn find type thread!

I want to do one again so badly!
gibbo555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 02:17 PM   #103
valve5425
Unwashed Member

Likewise, just found it and read the lot! Better than "Eastenders"!

Subscribed and looking forward to the next episode.
valve5425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #104
jbenekeorr
Washmitt Meister

Part 5 - DA Time

Hi all,

As I said in a previous post, progress has been slowed recently by some obligations which had to take priority.

On the plus side - I will be doing a bit of temporary work now that I've got some free time again, which should refill the coffers for the time being.

Also, I've just heard from the previous owner that she has found the original remote key for the car! So, soon I will have a working remote key and the non-remote key I bought as a spare.

This update comes from around a week ago where I took an afternoon out with the DA to crack on with the rest of the paintwork.

I can't remember whether I had already mentioned - but I have gradually clayed the rest of the car with Bilt Hamber regular clay building up to this. There was a lot of sap on the paintwork, presumably from the trees it had sat under. Apart from the sap, there wasn't actually that much in the way of tar or general fallout.

The paintwork really is in surprisingly good condition with very few scratches etc. I think the black plastic around the arches etc helps fend off most things.

I think it has been repainted on the offside rear quarter, as you'll notice - the reflections aren't quite as sharp, although the actual paint job is better than many I have seen on much more valuable cars! The paint depth was much higher (around 250) compared to 125 on most areas of the car. But let's be clear - I'm not complaining!

Here are a few 'before' shots - I need to warn you, I had the DSLR out again and my skills haven't improved much...

As you can see - the state of the paint was nothing to write home about, the usual swirls but nothing dreadful really.

Anyway, that doesn't mean we can't still get excited over the inevitable shine that's on the way!

I moved between green and yellow Shinemate Black Diamond pads which i'm a big fan of - they seem to stand up to the abuse pretty well, I think they cool themselves quite well - as I get a bit excited and on a couple of occasions I have had pads separate from their own velcro back and go flying over next door's fence.

The polish I used was Sonus SFX-2 which I used chiefly because I had it lying around. I don't think it's really 'coarse' enough for the hard paint on the MINI as it took quite a lot of work.

After I had polished all the panels, I applied a layer of FK1000P for longevity and later washed the car off, as there was quite a lot of dust around from the polishing process.

I need to dress the plastics again, as there seem to be water drip marks on a lot of the trim now.

Anyhow, here are the 'afters'

I think you'll agree - it's quite a looker, particularly given the state in which we found it!

My 'car fixing man' is aware of it, and said "I hear the scrap price is good at the moment" Which (I think) means he'll come and have a look at it in the near future!!

It's hard not to start buying cosmetic bits for it, but i'm fighting temptation as I want to be sure the mechanical side can be sorted before I start frittering money on it. Although we'll see how long I manage...
jbenekeorr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jbenekeorr For This Useful Post:
enc (20-07-2017), GrantB5 (15-07-2017), JayMac (14-07-2017), johny555ive (16-07-2017), steelghost (14-07-2017), williamsclio1 (14-07-2017)
Old 14-07-2017, 05:44 PM   #105
williamsclio1
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Cracking read this and looking forward to more updates.

Great work so far
williamsclio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 12:28 AM   #106
Pp172
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Well that was a satisfying update!! Such a good looking car now it's clean! Hard to believe it's the same car we saw at the start of this thread. Well done.
I love the wheels personally, so much so that if you ever fancy getting rid please give me first refusal. They'd look perfect on my electric blue r53. Just wish mine had half the shine of yours!
Pp172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 09:26 PM   #107
Ben.
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Looking so much better! New registration plates and it will look a completely different car, I'm super jealous I've really fancied one of these for a while now.
Ben. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 09:42 PM   #108
jbenekeorr
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pp172 View Post
Well that was a satisfying update!! Such a good looking car now it's clean! Hard to believe it's the same car we saw at the start of this thread. Well done.
I love the wheels personally, so much so that if you ever fancy getting rid please give me first refusal. They'd look perfect on my electric blue r53. Just wish mine had half the shine of yours!
Thank you. I'm a big fan of the wheels too, they set it apart from most others. If for any reason I decide to get rid of them - you most certainly have first dibs!

I've just been out to charge up the battery and it's looking decidedly less shiny than it previously was - a lot of dust and general garage detritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben. View Post
Looking so much better! New registration plates and it will look a completely different car, I'm super jealous I've really fancied one of these for a while now.
Agreed. I actually have a private plate on retainer which was previously on my BMW which I will be transferring once I'm sure the car is definitely going back on the road (don't want to tempt fate!). I still have the plates with the BMW/MINI dealer name on them which is ideal.

I've put a chaser in with my car chap, so I hope to see him soon to decide what the next step is. I really want it on the road when the weather is like this
jbenekeorr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbenekeorr For This Useful Post:
phil67 (19-07-2017)