Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:22 PM   #41
storm2284
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to storm2284
loving seeing this, cant wait to see the finished product!
storm2284 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to storm2284 For This Useful Post:
VeiRoN (10-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #42
Magic
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeiRoN View Post
Thanks,chose this for some track-day use and should still be not too harsh to use on the road and also can match this up with the Gaz coilovers at the front,what's your set-up on your 106?
I've got 23mm torsion bars, 350lb springs, Pugsport tarmac front and rear dampers. Massively overkill for what I'm going to be using it for, but I plan to run it low and remove the front ARB.
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 08:20 PM   #43
VeiRoN
Sponge Jockey

Quick update,took off the steering wheel and found out 4 of the 6 allen bolt had sezied and of course they all rounded off (even with an impact no luck),only put medium loctite on them so that's a lesson not to do that ever again,will only use copper grease:

Inevitably the paint got a little scratched up while drilling the bolts out so I coulnd't leave it like that so took it down to bare metal:

But then saw the suede leather was really worn out and faded so took that off as well and only left the soft padding and will get it professionaly retrimmed at some point,for now gave it 2 coat of the Electrox:

I needed one end plate for the ARB so went for the first time to a "pick a part" scrapyard and got one off a 106 and the whole ARB with end plates was just 4£,highly suggest to pay it a visit if never been there,before:

After the Deox-C:

2 coats of Electrox:

Painted up the rear anti roll bar in black metallic:

Pressed on one of the end plates with plenty of grease and applied some clear silicone to prevent dirt getting in:

So after a quick search found out that the company that makes a replacment blanking panel for the roof that I was interested in doesn't deserve any money due to the way they do business (or don't) so went ahead and made one on my own.
Orignally thought about using 3m tape to hold it in place which is designed for trims,spoilers,panels etc but this is heavier than I'm comfortable with for that option so 14 bolts will be used in conjuction,same locations as the standard sunroof.
The total weight of the panel I made is around 2,8 kg due to it being mild steel but still a lot even though it remains 6,5 kg lighter than the original sunroof assembly so I'm okay with that.

Blanking panels for the boot:

Started with the rear bench same as what I did with the boot,just a picture of the before for now:

Ground down some tabs,bumps and lots of studs that were triggering me:

Also removed the original rear windows catches as will be using polycarbonate and these cannot be used:

Last edited by VeiRoN; 14-07-2017 at 09:31 PM.
VeiRoN is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VeiRoN For This Useful Post:
Sicskate (14-07-2017)
Old 16-07-2017, 07:36 PM   #44
VeiRoN
Sponge Jockey

All 370 pictures have now been restored,I would suggest photobucket people sniff less cocaine when making such delusional requests.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VeiRoN For This Useful Post:
monkfishh (16-07-2017), Sicskate (16-07-2017)
Old 21-07-2017, 11:46 PM   #45
VeiRoN
Sponge Jockey

Finished up the other end plate:

Painted up the steering wheel in black metallic,pics don't show it very well but I like the color (still need to apply lacquer):

Bench and other section in bare metal,don't need to do the top as well as that will be covered by the sunroof:

Primed after 3 hours of brushing lol:

Painted up the steering rack as wasn't liking how it looked,not as much preparation as I would have liked but I can't bring myself to strip it for now so this will do:

Got rid of all the brackets of the sunroof,you can see where the corrosion had started doing damage:

Got all 14 rivnuts in,not a very fun job,took 2 hours and half though the quick clamp was a huge help keeping the tool steady:

Last edited by VeiRoN; 22-07-2017 at 12:02 AM.

Tags
even more rust, feelsbadman, more rust, rust