Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #11
acprc
PC Perfectionist

So,

Been working on the Discovery on and off this week. It went in for a mini service on Thursday. Had a complete fluid change, filters etc and a once over for obvious faults. Mechanic only picked up the advisories from the last MOT and I'm slowly dealing with them. Front shocks, rear discs and a few brake pipes. All of these are on order.

As the sun is out today I decided to tackle the rear boot carpet. 20 mins and it was out:

First i gave it a jetwash, then used a combination of Autosmart Brisk and AG Interior Foam. Then dried in the sun.

Now looks like this:

Another thing that is niggling me was the rusty towbar:

Incidentally, the picture above shows the new mudflaps.

I wire brushed down the metalwork, used a rust treater to chemically treat the surface, then two coats of Hammerite Grey rust primer. Will be topcoated with some chassis black paint after 24hrs. Just need a new socket and plate as the one fitted is slightly damaged. Tow bar now looks like this in primer:

More to come soon. Comments more than welcome.

Last edited by acprc; 17-07-2017 at 05:54 PM.
acprc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
Nanoman
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,804 Times in 952 Posts
Garage
Looks good!
Nanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nanoman For This Useful Post:
acprc (10-04-2010)
Old 17-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #13
acprc
PC Perfectionist

Hi all,

Whilst waiting for the remains of the suspension and brake parts I have been getting on with some of the odd jobs. Noticed that the rear speaker box built into the rear door wasn't working properly. Once the casing was removed this is what I found:

That will be why then! On the look out now for a new speaker box as this one is past it's best!

The last two bits of the alarm that needed to be removed to be sorted were the alarm led and valet switch. The new blanks came today so before:

and after:

thats much better.

I have also managed to get another coat of paint in all the scratches. I am reckoning on about 5 coats in all but there are a lot to do. Once filled I will take some pics of my attempts to sort them.

The towbar is now done, all painted, new socket, socket plate and breakaway bracket. The socket bracket was so rusty it disintegrated as i took it off. So before:

and after

I got hold of a set of JVC radio removal tools and removed the radio to check the wiring. Not a fan of the scotchblocks etc so wanted to make sure it was ok. It was fine so fitted a new surround. Also picked up a new JVC remote from Ebay. Allows me to change volume etc a bit easier when driving.

Cleaned and fitted a bootliner that again came from Ebay. Cost me £20 and is worth £187 at Land Rover.

More to come soon.

Adam

Last edited by acprc; 17-07-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 17-04-2010, 07:17 PM   #14
Connor_scotland
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Looking good mate.
Connor_scotland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Connor_scotland For This Useful Post:
acprc (17-04-2010)
Old 24-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #15
acprc
PC Perfectionist

Been a slow week due to work but I now have lots of new parts in the boot ready for fitting next week.

Removed the under dash panels to see if I could clean them up. They are thick cardboard with foam backing and were showing a lot of scuffs. Using a scalpel i trimmed the edges and then cleaned, primed and sprayed them.

Went from this:

To this:

Not bad at all. Still trying to find some rear speakers and a cointray.

Last edited by acprc; 17-07-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 30-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #16
acprc
PC Perfectionist

Hi,

Been a busy and eventful week but managed to finally get some of the mechanical work done on the Discovery.

First up was the rear discs and pads. Quite obviously needed doing and wasn't going to pass an MOT in June.

So, taken apart and new discs, hub bearings (as they were off) and pads put on.

Whilst doing the work the pistons in the calipers had to be unstuck. Took a while but will work until I get some new calipers fitted in the coming weeks.

Next on the agenda was the front shocks. The last MOT advisory had "slight misting" on it. On inspection, they were right!

So I got hold of new shocks, turrets, base plates, bolts and turret rings. The only old parts are the springs. Started work...

and after a few hours we had the new shocks done.

Also fitted a new steering damper which you can see on the picture above. As parts are really cheap it seemed crazy not to.

More updates to come this weekend, but getting there.

Last edited by acprc; 17-07-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #17
acprc
PC Perfectionist

So,

Friday night I thought I would tackle the rear window seals. The last owner had covered them in silicone as they had split but at £20 per seal it was a cheap job on paper. The Land Rover service manual said just pop them out, swap the seals over, push the glass in from the outside while using cord or wire on the inside to fold the rubber over the lip. So this is them before:

Corners all cracked with old silicone smeared on. The windows popped out easily

but then the fun started. The rubber was so stiff they just wouldn't go in. They eventually took 3 people on the outside and a professional window fitter on the inside. I'm really glad i didn't try them at home. They do however now look great.

After all that last night I wanted some easy jobs today. Pedal rubbers were swapped for new ones.

Before

and after

Much better, also changed the pollen filters at the back of the bonnet as the old ones were so brittle the foam just crumbled. Started swapping blown bulbs on the dash for new ones.

More to come soon.

Last edited by acprc; 17-07-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:02 PM   #18
Dipesh

Looking good. That alarm you took out looks to be a expensive Clifford!! Shame it didn't work properly!!
Dipesh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dipesh For This Useful Post:
acprc (18-05-2010)
Old 01-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #19
John-R-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipesh View Post
Looking good. That alarm you took out looks to be a expensive Clifford!! Shame it didn't work properly!!
Thats what I was thinking, the toggle type switch was used with the BlackJack system IIRC

John
John-R- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #20
acprc
PC Perfectionist

Sadly after spending ten minutes at a petrol station trying to turn the alarm off with a remote that didn't work properly the alarm had to go. The sounder back up battery had also failed and the bonnet switch was broken.

Too many parts to replace to make it worth bothering with. Also to clean the car correctly or make any changes you needed to enter a code using the valet switch on the dash listening to the chirps from the sounder. As the sounder was broken i couldn't turn off things like auto arm etc as didn't know where I was in the menu.

Last edited by acprc; 01-05-2010 at 05:44 PM.