Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:08 PM   #221
acprc
PC Perfectionist

One step forward, two steps back!

Hi all,

With the arrival of the newly finished parts for the tow bar back from the blasters, It was time to make a start on the old towbar removal.

I knew this was going to be a difficult job as the old towbar had never been off before and it's probably 22 years old, rusty old bolts were going to be my nemesis. So, to remove the old towbar the rear bumper has to come off. On paper its 4 electrical connections (the rear lights) and two 12mm bolts. Bumper should then lift off. Sadly, on the brackets the bolts go into both the welded nuts had snapped off. This meant the bolts just spun round. 3 hours of cursing, hammering, cramped spaces and 1/4 turns with a spanner saw the bumper off!

Now you can get at the bolts that hold the centre of the towbar in place. Four bolts and the whole unit will just drop away, did it hell. Two came out and two snapped as they are rusted solid through the chassis mounts. Tow bar is now off though. The end of the chassis will be cleaned up, treated for rust and then sprayed with Buzzweld.

Stripped the bumper down to get all the metal parts off to the blasters and now have to work out how to get these out!

Just to add insult to injury I went into the panel behind the rear 7th seats to disconnect the old tow socket wiring, it's just a simple plug!

Really, honestly, who uses these bloody things? I now have to cut the old plug off, remove the stupid scotchblocks and solder, heatshrink and rewrap the loom.

As I say, one step forward, two back. it's frustrating but good to be working on Gunbus again.

Last edited by acprc; 17-07-2017 at 06:16 PM.
acprc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:38 PM   #222
acprc
PC Perfectionist

It's the little things that are satisfying, 20 mins to remove scotchblocks, strip and tin wires, cut heatshrink, solder wires, shrink and wrap loom in Tesla loom tape.

Before

After

Last edited by acprc; 17-07-2017 at 06:16 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to acprc For This Useful Post:
Nanoman (06-06-2017), NornIron (06-06-2017), percymon (07-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 08:13 PM   #223
acprc
PC Perfectionist

Satisfaction

Picked up a Titan SDS drill from Screwfix for £59. Heated bolts up with a blow torch and then hammered them out with the drill and a chisel bit. Satisfying when they dropped out.

Wire brushed the chassis brackets with a wire drill brush and the rear of the chassis and painted with Buzzweld. Tomorrow the new towbar will go on. The bumper was dropped at the blasters as well today. Progress is great.

Last edited by acprc; 17-07-2017 at 05:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to acprc For This Useful Post:
streaky (10-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 09:18 PM   #224
ghost_walker
PC Perfectionist

it is oh so satisfying when the rusty bits come undone isn't it?
ghost_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ghost_walker For This Useful Post:
acprc (10-06-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 08:11 AM   #225
acprc
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_walker View Post
it is oh so satisfying when the rusty bits come undone isn't it?
Yes it is, especially if they have been there for 20 or so years. Very impressed with the SDS drill for the money.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:51 AM   #226
streaky
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acprc View Post
Picked up a Titan SDS drill from Screwfix for £59. Heated bolts up with a blow torch and then hammered them out with the drill and a chisel bit. Satisfying when they dropped out.

Wire brushed the chassis brackets with a wire drill brush and the rear of the chassis and painted with Buzzweld. Tomorrow the new towbar will go on. The bumper was dropped at the blasters as well today. Progress is great.
A huge grin I imagine as they hit the deck
streaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to streaky For This Useful Post:
acprc (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #227
acprc
PC Perfectionist

Onwards and upwards!

So, having got the bolts out, the chassis wire wheeled down and painted with Buzzweld the tow bar could go back on.

Before

And after

Next job was to strip out the two inner panels behind the 7th seats as I have new to replace them. Straight forward job up until the point I found this.....sigh

Looks like the welder will need to come out! In general the boot floor is pretty good, it was replaced about 10 years ago and seems to be holding up well. I will be wire brushing it and treating it before everything else goes back in. Purchased a new nearside Apline roof panel to replace mine as it had some deep marks and also made the blasting pile a bit bigger!

Lots of trim to now wash in the sun!

Last edited by acprc; 17-07-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 17-07-2017, 05:36 PM   #228
acprc
PC Perfectionist

So,

Slowly working through 7 years of thread pages updating all the photo links away from Photobucket so please bear with me. 11 pages done!

Welding has now been finished and I managed to get a used rear step to refurbish.

This has gone to the blasters to be sorted. I matched the old nylon and SS bushes on Ebay and ordered replacements. The dog guard has also gone to be blasted.

With the welding done the interior trim is slowly all going back in bit by bit. All being washed, cleaned and replaced with new trim clips. The rear door post speaker grills have been repainted and the load cover hooks blasted and treated.

The carpet is being remade by a local trimming company and that will be replaced.

At the front the radiator frame has been replaced with a newly refinished set, new decals, new rubber mounts and bolts.

The fuse box lid has been replaced and I remade the decal for the A-Bar:

The rear 7th seats have been stripped apart and are being refinished:

Started replacing the blue silicon hoses back to the originals and replaced a few odd hoses that are starting to perish.

New rear badge fitted:

New rear number plate lights as they needed it!:

Picked up a mountain decal key ring for £4:

New number plates ordered for a special look! Watch this space.

Plenty more to do!

Last edited by acprc; 17-07-2017 at 05:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to acprc For This Useful Post:
NornIron (17-07-2017)
Old 18-07-2017, 02:47 AM   #229
Arfman
Sponge Jockey

Garage
This is an awesome thread! Great work.
Arfman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arfman For This Useful Post:
acprc (18-07-2017)
Old 18-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #230
JR1982
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Looking amazing, your making a great job of restoring it. Makes me really miss my D2
JR1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JR1982 For This Useful Post:
acprc (18-07-2017)